Winch opinions?

JK Alec

Haven't had a winch before, and I've found myself to really need one. What're some good winches that y'all would recommend? I don't need a top of the line one, just one to do the job.

suicideking

I just had an Engo 10K with synthetic installed. I know most on here will only run a Warn. Like you, I didn't want to spend $1000+.

steve_r2

Haven't had a winch before, and I've found myself to really need one. What're some good winches that y'all would recommend? I don't need a top of the line one, just one to do the job.
Alec,
Most people would agree that WARN are probably the top dog and if you can stretch to them or find somewhere that is doing a deal then go for one of those.
There are lots of options..... it just depends on how much really. I oooohed and arrrrrred a long time and decided on a WARN ZEON 10s and its been totally worth it. Deals with heavy expedition rigs (Land Rover 3's) and big trucks (F150/350) without a worry.
Sure that others will have their recommendations for you.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Either a warn or Chinese. Almost all the Chinese ones are the same. Just pick one you like. I believe the engo, smitty, rugged ridge and others are all the same. I would pick something with synthetic line.

David1tontj

Either a warn or Chinese. Almost all the Chinese ones are the same. Just pick one you like. I believe the engo, smitty, rugged ridge and others are all the same. I would pick something with synthetic line.

I've heard that The new "VR" line of winches from warn are also cheap Chinese winches.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've heard that The new "VR" line of winches from warn are also cheap Chinese winches.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Oh yeah, I think Chinese parts, assembled here.

dont buy smittybuilt just for the fact that their engange and freespool lever design sucks.... the smittybuilt ones i have seen the last little while are all failing in the lever though from rust!

Superwinch are decent i wheel with two guys who run them and have been for years with no issues

bbailey

Banned
Is super winch or smittybilts winches any good?

I've got an 8000 lbs Smittybuilt x2o winch that just came off my JKU. Was on it when I purchased it and I used it twice, worked fine both times. That said, I'm replacing it.

Want it? Yours for $225 plus shipping.

My experience - both are fine if you don't regularly depend on your winch or want it as more of a fashion accessory. If you are using your winch regularly, or are regularly hitting the trails, I'd invest in something more reliable.

That said, I replaced the Smittybuilt with a TJM Stealth Series 9000 lbs winch but I'm doing it because I'm testing it for a friend. If it fails, I'm not out any funds and the guys I wheel with all have Warn's so I'm not overly worried. And if it does happen to fail, I'll just throw on a Warn Powerplant and call it a day. If it doesn't fail, then its the steal of the century at $699 for a 9000 lbs winch with synthetic line and both remote and wired controls. But who knows, actually I'll be pretty surprised if it holds up to what I'm going to put it through.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just had an Engo 10K with synthetic installed. I know most on here will only run a Warn. Like you, I didn't want to spend $1000+.

:cheesy: Far from it. Most run Chinese winches and like I had proven to you, they are all made by the same company (even your ENGO) only with different badges on it. People who who use their winches on a regular basis (and it's not many), they use WARN's and for a reason.

Yup, they are all the same.

This is correct and I personally wouldn't run one for it.

suicideking

:cheesy: Far from it. Most run Chinese winches and like I had proven to you, they are all made by the same company (even your ENGO) only with different badges on it. People who who use their winches on a regular basis (and it's not many), they use WARN's and for a reason.

I don't doubt that Warn is the best made. It's also the most expensive. I'm just not going to spend that much if a working winch can be had for less.

I will use my Engo (though haven't used it yet). If it fails, I will post a thread bashing it and admit you were right.

Regarding Chinese winches, I've seen many people use their Smitty winches and have never seen one fail. I've seen steel cable break, but that's not the fault of the winch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't doubt that Warn is the best made. It's also the most expensive. I'm just not going to spend that much if a working winch can be had for less.

Like I said, for people who actually use their winch on a regular basis (and it's not many), they use WARN's and for a reason.

I will use my Engo (though haven't used it yet). If it fails, I will post a thread bashing it and admit you were right.

With any luck, you won't ever need to use it. There's nothing worse than being a part of a tough recovery and have a winch fail.

Regarding Chinese winches, I've seen many people use their Smitty winches and have never seen one fail. I've seen steel cable break, but that's not the fault of the winch.

Really? You've seen "many"? Well, that's more than me - I rarely see anyone ever use their winch for anything other than to reel in their line. But, to that point, I have used a Chinese winch in the past and would be the first to admit that it worked fine and I'm sure most will. The point, once again, is that it's the 1 in 10 or maybe even 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 that just sucks because people in China don't have the same level of QC that we do here in the USA. For the kind of wheeling I do and the kind of recoveries I've done, I personally don't feel comfortable about putting my trust in Chinese made winches. For me, I'm more concerned with safety and reliability than saving a few bucks but of course, that is just me. :yup:

To be clear, I only quoted you because you didn't believe me when I said that your ENGO wasn't unique or special. You wanted me to prove that it was just another Chinese winch that had a different badge and I proved it. That's all.

SarahLu

My hubby has a quadratec 9500i and it's been great and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suicideking

Like I said, for people who actually use their winch on a regular basis (and it's not many), they use WARN's and for a reason.

With any luck, you won't ever need to use it. There's nothing worse than being a part of a tough recovery and have a winch fail.

Really? You've seen "many"? Well, that's more than me - I rarely see anyone ever use their winch for anything other than to reel in their line. But, to that point, I have used a Chinese winch in the past and would be the first to admit that it worked fine and I'm sure most will. The point, once again, is that it's the 1 in 10 or maybe even 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 that just sucks because people in China don't have the same level of QC that we do here in the USA. For the kind of wheeling I do and the kind of recoveries I've done, I personally don't feel comfortable about putting my trust in Chinese made winches. For me, I'm more concerned with safety and reliability than saving a few bucks but of course, that is just me. :yup:

To be clear, I only quoted you because you didn't believe me when I said that your ENGO wasn't unique or special. You wanted me to prove that it was just another Chinese winch that had a different badge and I proved it. That's all.

Maybe not 'many', but definitely seen a few. The last 4 winch uses I've seen, 3 were Smitty 8K, 1 was a Warn VR8000. The Warn was the one that broke his cable, but since has replaced with Synthetic and has worked fine since.

I do remember you posting a picture of another winch that looked like one of the older Engo models. I attached a picture of mine which is their most recent model. I had already ordered it before that last thread. I looked for another that looked like mine and haven't found one.

I only mentioned Engo because the OP asked for one that 'isn't top of the line'. I guess I should know better than mention on here that I'm running an Engo... :D

So like I said, I know people on her frown on the Engo (or anything Chinese), but for $444 for the Winch with synthetic, including the fairlead, seems like a good deal to me.

Attachments

• winch1 1024.jpg
    winch1 1024.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 277
  • winch2 1024.jpg
    winch2 1024.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 276

TheDuff

I debated on which winch to get for months (more like a year). I wanted a warn, but thought I couldn't afford one. I looked at everything from harbor freight to engo. Read all sorts of reviews, witnessed a couple of winch failures and ultimately got a warn... and to be honest it wasn't much more than an engo and less than some similarly spec'ed winches. I got my zeon 10k for a little under 800, I've heard of people finding better deals than that. I've yet to use it other than reel in the line once and won't mind if I never need to. For me it's piece of mind that if I do need it, I won't be having to rely on Chinese parts to get me out of a tough spot or put someone's life in harm's way. Not all Chinese winches will fail, But why take the risk?

I think Eddie has covered this topic well.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe not 'many', but definitely seen a few. The last 4 winch uses I've seen, 3 were Smitty 8K, 1 was a Warn VR8000. The Warn was the one that broke his cable, but since has replaced with Synthetic and has worked fine since.

If you don't mind me asking, got any pics of the last 4 winch uses you've seen? Just curious to see what you guys are getting into and why one was needed at all? Not being facetious here, just sincerely curious.

I do remember you posting a picture of another winch that looked like one of the older Engo models. I attached a picture of mine which is their most recent model. I had already ordered it before that last thread. I looked for another that looked like mine and haven't found one.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know I had to show an exact color and fake carbon fiber look to prove ENGO's are all made by the same manufacturer in China. :rolleyes2:

I only mentioned Engo because the OP asked for one that 'isn't top of the line'. I guess I should know better than mention on here that I'm running an Engo... :D

Please, based on that lame logic, I should know better than to offer up my opinion on here being that I run a WARN. :naw:

So like I said, I know people on her frown on the Engo (or anything Chinese), but for $444 for the Winch with synthetic, including the fairlead, seems like a good deal to me.

Nobody said it wasn't a good deal - just that for people who actually need a winch, there are things that are more important than a "good deal".

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I debated on which winch to get for months (more like a year). I wanted a warn, but thought I couldn't afford one. I looked at everything from harbor freight to engo. Read all sorts of reviews, witnessed a couple of winch failures and ultimately got a warn... and to be honest it wasn't much more than an engo and less than some similarly spec'ed winches. I got my zeon 10k for a little under 800, I've heard of people finding better deals than that. I've yet to use it other than reel in the line once and won't mind if I never need to. For me it's piece of mind that if I do need it, I won't be having to rely on Chinese parts to get me out of a tough spot or put someone's life in harm's way. Not all Chinese winches will fail, But why take the risk?

I think Eddie has covered this topic well.

Where did you find a zeon 10k for $800? I'll order mine today for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Drunic

Amazon for the Zeon, watch it long enough and you'll find a deal. I'll pay double for reliability, and the rebate is still going on.

TheDuff

Where did you find a zeon 10k for $800? I'll order mine today for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Picked it up at the Pomona off road expo, since I walked out with it in hand, I didn't have to pay any shipping:thumbup:

Top Bottom