Swapping AEV 2'5 DS Coils for EVO Plush Rides

steve_r2

Now I may be getting old(er)..... but I feel I still want a little more comfort on the old back.....
So as the title says can I do a straight swap from my AEV 2.5" coils to EVO 3" Plush Rides(after reading all the good things from people about these seems the way to go) ? I appreciate shocks stiffness is also a factor but not going to change these just yet.
So this may be a stupid question as other things may or may not have to be addressed if I do. If so would I need to think about new prop shafts and or shock extensions etc.
Appreciate any help in working this.

*XT* not DS....brain still not functioning today !

Last edited:

JKWrang

You may not be able to what with all of AEVs drop brackets. Someone with more knowledge can chime in here, but if it's just the coils, it might work. Idk what kind of bumpers you have or what not, but I do see it's a 09 so I dont think you need a new Driveshaft at 3" so there is that

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

steve_r2

You may not be able to what with all of AEVs drop brackets. Someone with more knowledge can chime in here, but if it's just the coils, it might work. Idk what kind of bumpers you have or what not, but I do see it's a 09 so I dont think you need a new Driveshaft at 3" so there is that

Hi Wrang,
I no longer have the drop brackets as I have Teraflex adjustable LCA's fitted (long story to why !).

JKWrang

Then I dont see why not.

Lots of guys wind up adding spacers to make up for weight they added or to get a little higher so on the premise that you can add a 2.5" puck spacer to your stock set up with just minor shock extenders it would stand to reason that a .5 inch difference in coils wouldn't be overbearing on your setup and should accomodate a full swap.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned it will be an easy swap. The only thing that you may run into is that your current shocks may not be long enough to provide the droop you maybe looking for so you may have to switch them out anyway.

Edit- I also want to add that you may start to run into more driveline issues. so if you haven't already you will need at least front lower control arms and rear upper arms to get you caster and pinion angle right. Also new driveshafts will be needed at some point as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

steve_r2

As mentioned it will be an easy swap. The only thing that you may run into is that your current shocks may not be long enough to provide the droop you maybe looking for so you may have to switch them out anyway.

Edit- I also want to add that you may start to run into more driveline issues. so if you haven't already you will need at least front lower control arms and rear upper arms to get you caster and pinion angle right. Also new driveshafts will be needed at some point as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Hi Coz..... that's my concern. If it is ok just to do a straight swap then great, however cant justify new shafts etc just now. So will either stay as I am or start saving for a Evo Enforcer....damn spending money doesn't stop soon as I thought I have got what I want I start looking at the next thing I can do...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi Coz..... that's my concern. If it is ok just to do a straight swap then great, however cant justify new shafts etc just now. So will either stay as I am or start saving for a Evo Enforcer....damn spending money doesn't stop soon as I thought I have got what I want I start looking at the next thing I can do...

since you have an '09 unlimited your rear factory shaft will be ok. your front shaft is where you may see a problem with it hitting the exhaust but you will be ok to run it for a while.

since you already have front LCA's and shocks you basically are only missing the plush ride coils.

JKWrang

since you have an '09 unlimited your rear factory shaft will be ok. your front shaft is where you may see a problem with it hitting the exhaust but you will be ok to run it for a while.

since you already have front LCA's and shocks you basically are only missing the plush ride coils.

I thought that was a problem with the 3.6? Or maybe just cause my 08 was a two door. ..

rdreng

The AEV 2.5 kit provides 3 inches of lift in the front and 2 inches in the rear with a fully outfitted Wrangler (bumpers, winch, etc). I almost went with this lift kit about a year ago.

My understanding from email exchanges with EVO MFG, is that the 3 inch Plus Ride spring will get you 3 inches of lift in the front and they claim they level the ride, so that implies 2 inches in the back (with same fully outfitted Wrangler). Seems very similar to the AEV 2.5 kit. The only difference would be the spring rates. The EVO springs are linear while the AEV springs are progressive.

The extended length of your shocks set the droop. The AEV Bilstein shocks have an extended length of 24.5 inches per AEV (information provided by them when I was researching their kit). So,,, if you keep the AEV Bilstein shocks, your drive shaft will clear the exhaust cross over pipe (on 3.6L engine, you have a 3.8L so not a worry) and you will not flex enough to need a new drive shaft. What you are not using is the full extended length of the EVO springs (probably another 3 inches). Later, if you need that extra down travel you could purchase new shocks and drive shaft. Also, the AEV kit comes with 2.5 inch bump stops. The EVO Enforcer bump stop options are 2 or 3 inches. You are right in the middle. So in my opinion, what you propose would work.

BTW - I'm 60 and this is one of the primary reasons I went with the Enforcer lift, for the "soft ride".

Last edited:

steve_r2

The AEV 2.5 kit provides 3 inches of lift in the front and 2 inches in the rear with a fully outfitted Wrangler (bumpers, winch, etc). I almost went with this lift kit about a year ago.

My understanding from email exchanges with EVO MFG, is that the 3 inch Plus Ride spring will get you 3 inches of lift in the front and they claim they level the ride, so that implies 2 inches in the back (with same fully outfitted Wrangler). Seems very similar to the AEV 2.5 kit. The only difference would be the spring rates. The EVO springs are linear while the AEV springs are progressive.

The extended length of your shocks set the droop. The AEV Bilstein shocks have an extended length of 24.5 inches per AEV (information provided by them when I was researching their kit). So,,, if you keep the AEV Bilstein shocks, your drive shaft will clear the exhaust cross over pipe (on 3.6L engine, you have a 3.8L so not a worry) and you will not flex enough to need a new drive shaft. What you are not using is the full extended length of the EVO springs (probably another 3 inches). Later, if you need that extra down travel you could purchase new shocks and drive shaft. Also, the AEV kit comes with 2.5 inch bump stops. The EVO Enforcer bump stop options are 2 or 3 inches. You are right in the middle. So in my opinion, what you propose would work.

BTW - I'm 60 and this is one of the primary reasons I went with the Enforcer lift, for the "soft ride".
Thanks rdreng,
I'm quite heavy up front with winch, bumper, dual batteries etc so would probably take down the overall height a little unless Evo has said that it would be 3" with gear on ?

rdreng

Thats my understanding, a fully loaded JK. Email EVO or Off Road Evolution to get a definitive answer.

I have heavy bumpers front and rear plus winch and rock sliders. The 4 inch Enforcer lift is giving me almost exactly 4 inches of lift up front. EVO had indicated for that combo, I would get 4 inches and that is exactly what happened.

Think about what you are proposing: Everything remains "as is". No changes from AEV kit. Controls arms, track bars, bump stops and shocks remain the same. You are only changing the "force" being exerted between the upper and lower spring coil seats. To obtain 3 inchs lift height, the "force" being exerted by AEV and EVO springs must be essentially the same at the "steady state" (i.e JK sitting in your driveway). What will be different is when you compress the suspension. Without knowing the particulars, since the EVO springs are linear, they will exert a constantly increasing force of a fixed "lbs/inch" of compression. Since the AEV springs are progressive, they will be exerting an increasing force that is non-linear and increasing rate of so many "lbs/inch" inch of compression. You will gain softness in your ride. The downside will be if you heavily load the rear of the JK (with camping stuff as an example), you will have more compression or squat of the suspension system in the rear with the Plush Ride coils.

Last edited:

vitodivita

Reviving the thread….Has anybody done this swap? While I dig how the AEV lift has handled and has performed for the last year i've had it, the harshness of the ride on-road is pretty annoying. Not to mention my control arm brackets are already beat to shit. I'm looking at the 3" EVO plush ride coils and looking to do a straight up swap.

JKWrang

Reviving the thread….Has anybody done this swap? While I dig how the AEV lift has handled and has performed for the last year i've had it, the harshness of the ride on-road is pretty annoying. Not to mention my control arm brackets are already beat to shit. I'm looking at the 3" EVO plush ride coils and looking to do a straight up swap.

2 door or 4 door? Should be a good swap, honestly. But if you re read the thread the specifics are in there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

vitodivita

4 door. I did read thru the thread, but was looking to see if anyone actually had done it. I'm really hoping for an improvement.

JKWrang

4 door. I did read thru the thread, but was looking to see if anyone actually had done it. I'm really hoping for an improvement.

Youll get an improvement. If you have the AEV... How much actual lift did you get?

JKWrang

I haven't measured, but I think it is more than 2.5"…They definitely compensate for heavy bumpers.

Yea, then while I haven't personally done it - youll see a noticeable difference (in a good way) if you upgrade. The plush rides are a more comfortable spring. I personally like a stiffer ride on road, but if youre looking for an improvement, these will give it.

vitodivita

Yea, then while I haven't personally done it - youll see a noticeable difference (in a good way) if you upgrade. The plush rides are a more comfortable spring. I personally like a stiffer ride on road, but if youre looking for an improvement, these will give it.

Thank you, and while I like how this Jeep handles, it seems to come at the expense of ride quality. Regardless, it's not that expensive, and I can always go back to these coils (I doubt it lol).

vitodivita

Got an e-mail response from off road evolution, and I am told that the Geo brackets would have to go in favor of adjustable control arms as well as a drag link flip kit. So basically, AEV wasn't a wise decision after-all. Now this just got more pricey..

adamsnewone

Are they saying your going to have to get rid of the drag flip link as well?? I thought that was kind of a typical upgrade.

Top Bottom