AGR Rock Ram Question

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Has anyone used the AGR Rock Ram hydraulic assist system? I know PSC is probably the best and Redneck Ram is the most cost effective. AGR system comes in between in cost and content. Has a newer higher strength steering box, new ram, new reservoir, new pump etc like PSC but about 60-70% the cost. I'll be running 37s and while I have the entire front end ripped apart and am welding on my new synergy brackets I figured I might as well upgrade the steering also since I need a new stabilizer anyway.

Just looking for feedback on anyone that has used and the good or bad.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know that Off Road Evolution installed one at their shop and while it looked totally ghetto, it seemed to work well - maybe better than the PSC. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who's been running one for an extended period of time.

Livin4Today

My buddy Bryan put the AGR system on an older CJ-7 last year. the system worked well. However, it took forever and a day to get all of the parts from them, like 4 months. From that point we'd decided not to use AGR, poor customer support/service. When called they had no explanations why it took so long, was told it's just how it is. So Redneck will be our neck trial by fire for my JKU, if all goes as hoped, if not then PSC will get the nod...

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Ok so works good but no long term test and shabby customer service. Sounds like a win win LOL.

Maybe I'll just have to be the guniea pig and see how it does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do it. At least, if you're willing to deal with the said customer service. I'd be interested in hearing an honest review of how it does long term. I've known guys with the redneck ram and wasn't impressed at all. One of the guys I know didn't get half a mile into the Rubicon before his went out.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I think I'm going to try it. Based on present status of my build i still have a couple "weeks" until its all back together. Planning to start replacing body next week.

1395367817161.jpg

Elusive

I had a redneck ram on my TJ with a dynatrac 60 and I loved it. it worked great for years and was still on the jeep when I sold it.
I also had an AGR system on a TJ.. I bent the ram twice and the steering box started to leak at the seal below the big aluminum cover that says AGR on it. I replaced the seal but the tolerance was poor and the cover moved when I turned so the seal failed again quickly.
They would not give me a new box so that's when I put the redneck ram in myself with a stock pump and box.
**this was all on a TJ so the JK steering box and pump may not give the same results.**

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the feedback! I ordered mine this am so I guess we will see what happens. They have two different JK system, one for up to 39s and one for 40s and above. The 40s and above just has a bigger ram, bigger reservoir,etc so I figured go big or go home and got the bigger one even though I'm only running 37s. Guess if I want to upgrade to 40s in the future one less thing to worry about upgrading.

pastorwug

I think I'm going to try it. Based on present status of my build i still have a couple "weeks" until its all back together. Planning to start replacing body next week.

View attachment 74677

Holy Cow! That's no small project!
Only way possible back east to do that would be to dedicate a stall in your garage, or the whole garage - I'd have to do that outside because my Jeep is too tall for the garage door.
Good luck!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Holy Cow! That's no small project!
Only way possible back east to do that would be to dedicate a stall in your garage, or the whole garage - I'd have to do that outside because my Jeep is too tall for the garage door.
Good luck!

Lol, I'm kinda worried mine won't fit out once built. Might have to flatten the tires. Based on my measurements if i can keep the lift at 3-3.5" it should fit barely with the roof off. Mel gave me pointers on how to keep it nice and low COG like his wife's.

turbineguy

View attachment 74677

Did you ever install this? My local shop is a proponent of the AGR setup, but I wanted some unbiased opinion on it before I spend the money.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I actually just got all the parts for it this past week. Long story, partially AGR and partially the company I bought it from for delays. Still have a few things I'm working with them on, namingly the new steering box.

See attached, anyone notice what's off?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403219663.905233.jpg

turbineguy

My new axles should be here soon, think is time to call psc

Sorry it sounds like you are having quality issues. I haven't been able to find a single trouble free AGR review yet on the webs.

I will kerp following to see how your build ends up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oh it's tapped.... Look at picture on right. It's on the wrong damn side!!!

You couldn't use a 90deg elbow to make it work? Maybe just me but I'd try that before having to wait for what seems like forever for a replacement. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they simply re tapped that exact box and capped off the existing ports.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I talked to agr a few minutes ago. Extremely helpful. They are going to just cap those and retap the other side and send it back

Top Bottom