New Willys questionss

YoungFire

So ready to pull the trigger on buying a '14 Willys, it's listed to have a

Trac-Lok(R) differential rear axle

What is that exactly?
Also what are peoples thoughts on the factory half doors ??

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
from my understanding is that its a limited slip diff compared to an open diff in a sport or an e locker like whats in a rubi. maybe someone with a little more knowledge can either back me up or tell me im completly wrong lol

Sugarbear

from my understanding is that its a limited slip diff compared to an open diff in a sport or an e locker like whats in a rubi. maybe someone with a little more knowledge can either back me up or tell me im completly wrong lol

My 2014 sport came with trac lock I thought all newer wranglers except the rubi came with trac lock I'm curious on this subject now also

JayKay

Caught the Bug
You are correct, it's the limited slip. The Rubicon locker is called Tru-loc in Jeep marketing lingo.

This^^ the Trac-lock is optional on Sports and Saharas. The Moab package had the Tru-lock only in the rear, open D30 in the front. I still don't understand why they don't build the Willys with the Rubicon drivetrain. With a name like Willys, it should be the ultimate 4X4!

YoungFire

Awesome thanks guys I wasn't sure what that meant!

So what does everyone think about half or full doors on it?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The factory half doors are nice. The two things to think about are 1) do you mind the old style doors panels with the new style interior. They never updated the half door trim. Not a big deal just making sure you know it's that way. 2) can you live with half doors all the time? Buying aftermarket full doors isn't really an option if you need them too. The flip side is possible. The factory half doors are very nice though.

I could never get them living back east as I need my hard top and full doors for the winter. And I won't spend $3-4k to get them afterward. I'd just deal with aftermarket ones or no doors. Just my $0.02

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gecko_rubi makes some good points. i would look at the full doors and a hard top since your in boston. then you can add an aftermarket soft top for the summer months and get a cheap set of aftermarket half doors as well if you want.

YoungFire

Buying aftermarket full doors isn't really an option if you need them too....The factory half doors are very nice though.... I'd just deal with aftermarket ones or no doors.

This is defiantly true looking at the aftermarket availability ... And the amount is actually want half doors between full winter and none the rest!

Lol and since I'm going from a 98 to a 14 I didn't even recognize the -older-style difference at first!

But probly will go with the full door and accessorize as needed thanks guys

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So ready to pull the trigger on buying a '14 Willys, it's listed to have a

Trac-Lok(R) differential rear axle

What is that exactly?
Also what are peoples thoughts on the factory half doors ??

I personally love my half doors. Had them on my CJ7 as well. I hear a lot of people say 'if you can live with them'. Not sure what they mean by that, but my CJ7 was my daily driver for 5 years and I had no issues 'living' with the half doors or zip up/down windows. Same with the JKU. I have no issues zipping them down quickly for a drive through or when showing ID to get back onto post, noise is maybe slightly more that my JK 2 door with soft top, but not really noticeable to me. I have driven over 3 hours on the highway with them and they were just fine. I understand they are not for everybody, but I personally have no issues 'living' with them everyday. Compared to driving a CJ for so long, this JKU might as well be a Cadillac! I love them way more than the full doors I had on my last JK. Just my :twocents:

I also have the Trac-Lok rear diff. There is a good explanation of what it does at around 2:55 of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHQeO-Y7GU

YoungFire

I personally think a Willys with half doors would be sweet.

Thanks for the video!
It was weird the salesmen was trying to tell me it was an actual locker in the rear which sounded wrong

Also I would love half doors but thinking about scraping them and such in the winter up here I don't believe they would last long yr round unlike you down in SC . I'll probly end up getting aftermarket ones !

noroad

At first i thought it would be cool and different but after thinking about (and i mean we drove all over mass the other day to look at colors and then drove even more to see the only jeep with half doors in mass) and i think the safe bet is the hard doors then just getting after market ones! (easy gift for me to get her)

Top Bottom