Parking Break

Firewrangler

Anyone ever have any trouble with theirs? Think I snapped something somewhere tonight when I parked on the garage. The was a loud pop and now the lever moves rather freely. Any insight on this?

Moochie

Anyone ever have any trouble with theirs? Think I snapped something somewhere tonight when I parked on the garage. The was a loud pop and now the lever moves rather freely. Any insight on this?

Climb under and check your cables. Easy place to start looking. Check cables at rear of wheels. Pull your console to take a look at your hardware.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

My '12 has had a pop every time I set the parking brake, although my handle still has tension, unlike yours. Dealer blamed mine on the lift because the cables were pulled tight in the bracket over the rear axle. I removed the bracket and let them hang free, it still pops. Guess I'll take care of it when a cable breaks. I do believe you most likely broke a cable or something in the rear brake system (lever, spring, pin, etc.).

JK12

Yes. I had the same thing happen. I pulled the lever and there was a loud pop. It ended up being I broke the metal piece that is connected to the spring and cables I think. And it moved freely. I'll get a picture of it later if I can

Firewrangler

Yes. I had the same thing happen. I pulled the lever and there was a loud pop. It ended up being I broke the metal piece that is connected to the spring and cables I think. And it moved freely. I'll get a picture of it later if I can

Was it right under the lever itself?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While the cable can break under the center console, it isn't very common. What is more common is that the hook which connects to one of the rear drums may have gotten unhooked. If you've done an axle shaft swap or a break job recently, I would definitely start there.

JK12

Was it right under the lever itself?

Yes it's a little metal piece that connects the spring and the handle together and it snapped in two making the lever not pull the cable. Everything else was fine just the metal piece broke ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395509358.198775.jpg

If you look the little metal piece up against the bottom of the lever is what broke

Firewrangler

Anyone got any ideas on where to get a new cable, besides a junk yard or a stealership. It only comes as a complete assembly with the brake lever and all, and they want $84 at the stealership.

Top Bottom