Poison Spyder BFH rear bumper

machinegunmedic

Any one running this on their rig? Any photos of the install. Wondering how much was cut off rear, and if this is something I can do my myself.

GCM 2

I had bought one but never installed it, turned out it was not compatible with my EVO Lever Rear Suspension. I would have had to do extra fabrication to run that bumper since the cross member that gets trimmed to fit the bumper is where my EVO Lever frame mounts to. I ended up giving the bumper away to a relative and he installed on his JK with hand tools and a reciprocating saw in his driveway in less than half a day. The install is really easy, it comes with a template to mark where, and how much to cut off the rear frame crossmember. It's a great looking bumper with awesome departure angle, in fact running no bumper is the only way to get more departure angle than this bumper. I'm pretty certain you could handle this modification at home. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any one running this on their rig? Any photos of the install. Wondering how much was cut off rear, and if this is something I can do my myself.

To be clear, this bumper will require you to cut off a boxed in cross member just so that you can install a c-channel bumper. Is there a reason why you think this is a good idea?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had bought one but never installed it, turned out it was not compatible with my EVO Lever Rear Suspension. I would have had to do extra fabrication to run that bumper since the cross member that gets trimmed to fit the bumper is where my EVO Lever frame mounts to. I ended up giving the bumper away to a relative and he installed on his JK with hand tools and a reciprocating saw in his driveway in less than half a day. The install is really easy, it comes with a template to mark where, and how much to cut off the rear frame crossmember. It's a great looking bumper with awesome departure angle, in fact running no bumper is the only way to get more departure angle than this bumper. I'm pretty certain you could handle this modification at home. ;)

Honestly, running no bumper is the best option in my opinion and surprisingly, I think it looks really good too :yup:

GCM 2

To be clear, this bumper will require you to cut off a boxed in cross member just so that you can install a c-channel bumper. Is there a reason why you think this is a good idea?

Wayoflife does point out something I failed to make clear or even mention:

This bumper will basically take the place of your rear crossmember. So take that into account, to reverse the process you will have to weld in an entirely new crossmember to revert to stock. So it's not completely irreversible, but you are committing to cutting structural parts.

2trackin

I run this bumper. I did not have to cut the entire crossmember out. There was however quite a big of cutting. Having a plasma cutter handy helped a lot.
I did have a pretty hard bumper to bumper accident over the winter and there was zero damage to the frame or anything. I have yanked many people out with it as well with zero problems. I honestly do not forsee having any problems with it with what I have done with it thus far. However. I probably wouldn't go with it again. I wasn't thrilled with the amount of cutting out my 2014.
Oddly enough the tj had the same bumper. Both bumpers had but a scratch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1395501712098.jpg
    1395501712098.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 1395501727802.jpg
    1395501727802.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 212

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't get me wrong but to be fair, the photo you show is a bumper to body hit and NOT bumper to bumper. Also, it looks like the hit was off center and that your passenger side frame rail took the bulk of the impact. Maybe if you hit a pole dead center and nothing happened, I would be more impressed.

As far as pulling people out, your tow points are located in line with your frame rails and of course you wouldn't see any negative effects on your bumper when doing a pull. There's a reason why this bumper doesn't have a tow hitch and it's not just for clearance - center of the bumper would not be safe to pull from.

I should note that what sucked most about the TJ was that its frame was too flexible and in large part, what makes the JK so great is that it comes with a LOT of boxed in cross members and they make the frame very rigid. I personally wouldn't want to give that up and I certainly wouldn't want to compromise the rear end strength when doing things like severe side pulls but, that's just me.

Last but not least, most people do not carry their spare inside like you and GCM 2 do and for them, having a heavy duty bumper will actually do a great job of protecting your spare when coming off big ledges. Something the OP should consider as well.

2trackin

Don't get me wrong but to be fair, the photo you show is a bumper to body hit and NOT bumper to bumper. Also, it looks like the hit was off center and that your passenger side frame rail took the bulk of the impact. Maybe if you hit a pole dead center and nothing happened, I would be more impressed.

As far as pulling people out, your tow points are located in line with your frame rails and of course you wouldn't see any negative effects on your bumper when doing a pull. There's a reason why this bumper doesn't have a tow hitch and it's not just for clearance - center of the bumper would not be safe to pull from.

I should note that what sucked most about the TJ was that its frame was too flexible and in large part, what makes the JK so great is that it comes with a LOT of boxed in cross members and they make the frame very rigid. I personally wouldn't want to give that up and I certainly wouldn't want to compromise the rear end strength when doing things like severe side pulls but, that's just me.

Last but not least, most people do not carry their spare inside like you and GCM 2 do and for them, having a heavy duty bumper will actually do a great job of protecting your spare when coming off big ledges. Something the OP should consider as well.

Your correct. I shouldn't have stated it as a direct bumper to bumper. While both bumpers did connect. I was slightly taller and with the angle of the bumper it shot me up and over top of his and into the body. I'd honestly have a hard time imagining a harder hit while wheeling. But like I said. If I were to do it over, I'd probably go a different route with less cutting. It does tuck up nice a close though.
As for cutting the cross member. Exactly one half of it was cut at a 45. How much rigidity that takes away is hard to say after the the bumper is bolted on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your correct. I shouldn't have stated it as a direct bumper to bumper. While both bumpers did connect. I was slightly taller and with the angle of the bumper it shot me up and over top of his and into the body. I'd honestly have a hard time imagining a harder hit while wheeling. But like I said. If I were to do it over, I'd probably go a different route with less cutting. It does tuck up nice a close though. As for cutting the cross member. Exactly one half of it was cut at a 45. How much rigidity that takes away is hard to say after the the bumper is bolted on.

Bolting on a c-channel bumper is in my opinion, a far cry from a welded boxed in cross member. But, that's just me. I won't lie, I really like the looks of the bumper and the idea of it but steered clear of it once I knew what was involved in getting it installed.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Bolting on a c-channel bumper is in my opinion, a far cry from a welded boxed in cross member. But, that's just me. I won't lie, I really like the looks of the bumper and the idea of it but steered clear of it once I knew what was involved in getting it installed.

This is the same reason I did not go with this bumped, looks great but I didn't want to cut my rear frame.

2trackin

Slightly? That's override. It slide over the top of the TJ's bumper into the tub.

His d ring Shackle hit just under mine. 2" at most. I can take a picture to show as I haven't touched up the paint yet.
In the picture my bumper and weight of my jk were sitting on top of his.
If he had been maybe 2" taller I think the final outcome may have been worse. Bent frames possibly both faired out OK and he has a new tub going on his.

turbineguy

Honestly, running no bumper is the best option in my opinion and surprisingly, I think it looks really good too :yup:

Especially with the new fascia by Evo to give a finished look... if I wasn't running a spare, that's what I would of gone with.

machinegunmedic

Thanks a lot guys. That's why this site is my daily reading. Eddie there is a really high end Bike mag called Iron and Air, I believe with your resources, knowledge and pics/travel this is something you should look into.

Perhaps start a digital subscription that we can download onto your computers/iPads etc with a monthly subscription.

Just saying :rock:

Top Bottom