Line-x /Rino lining floor?

k8ytree

Hey! Just thinking about ripping out the carpet in my jk. Has anyone done this? I was tossing around the idea of coating the floor with a bedliner.
Opinions?
Is there wiring under the carpet?
Thanks everyone.

Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington
2014 BLK 2D JK

Brankz

Hey! Just thinking about ripping out the carpet in my jk. Has anyone done this? I was tossing around the idea of coating the floor with a bedliner.
Opinions?
Thanks everyone.

Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington
2014 BLK 2D JK

What is this mean?
Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington

k8ytree

What's this mean? Where's the pictures. Gosh you're demanding. It's my signature. Same as in my email. It's my name and certification. Like a business card. If you're offended I will remove it.
Savvy?

Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington
2014 BLK 2D JK

Do not worry about Brankz he is the resident stalker.

As for rhino lining the Jk you will gain some road noise. It is a lot of work if you do it yourself with removing all the seats and carpet. One thing to keep in mind is the exposed wire bundles to think of. I guess you could out the plastic back down. My wife is not up to removing the carpet yet.

Welcome

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

JK12

Opinions?
Thanks everyone.

Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington
2014 BLK 2D JK

Yes there is wiring but it runs along the side of the bottom out of the way. And there is sound insulator that is pretty ugly if it's not removed before bed lining. And it will chip off so I'd remove it

Rayz

What is this mean?
Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington

means she knows how to take care of trees :)
on to the subject- I did this with a yj some years ago using herculiner and a paint brush- worked really well am planning to do it with my jk tho i'll admit i haven't taken the carpet out yet so not sure about wires and you have to be careful not to paint over any bolt holes if you spray on bedliner you will probably get more professional results

DKronk42

You'll also loose alot of heat shielding, a buddy of mine has his 07 jk rhino lined and in the summer its hotter than hell in there... Just keep that in mind as well.

Brankz

What's this mean? Where's the pictures. Gosh you're demanding. It's my signature. Same as in my email. It's my name and certification. Like a business card. If you're offended I will remove it.
Savvy?

Kathryn Faulconbridge
ISA certified Arborist
City of Burlington
2014 BLK 2D JK

Not offended just wondering with the time you will learn that I'm super random and I ask dumb questions

k8ytree

Thanks guys! Yes I get a deal with the company who does our trucks. I can imagine the heat will get worse. I really hate the carpet.(Don't we all?) I always get wood chips in it and it's driving me crazy having to vacuum them out. Air hose seems far easier! I also spilt bar oil in the back. Whomp whomp. I was hoping clean up of oil, mud, chips etc would be better running the bed liner.
Any pics out there?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys! Yes I get a deal with the company who does our trucks. I can imagine the heat will get worse. I really hate the carpet.(Don't we all?) I always get wood chips in it and it's driving me crazy having to vacuum them out. Air hose seems far easier! I also spilt bar oil in the back. Whomp whomp. I was hoping clean up of oil, mud, chips etc would be better running the bed liner.
Any pics out there?

Just do it yourself. It'll cost you 800 bucks to have it sprayed. Seats are easy to take out. Go to your hardware store and buy the rattle cans. I put two solid coats on mine. If you wear through it spray more on. Cost ya maybe 80 bucks with tape and something to clean the floor with. Plus the good feeling of doing it yourself

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Any pics out there?

Before and after of my first test section

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395538647.797772.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395538656.538464.jpg

k8ytree

That does look pretty sweet. Did you just tape off everything else? What did you use to clean the floor?
Did my orange paint on my grille and interior. Why not keep with tradition!

Christarp

I used raptor liner and I'm really happy with it, but I will say that it's pretty hard to clean mud out of it. From my experience with line-x (had a trailer done with it) it's extremely coarse, even enough to scrape yourself on. That being said, raptor liner is a lot smoother, but it does have texture still, so it'll be hard to clean mud out of it still. Stuff like sand is much easier to deal with though.

Here's how mine came out. It's a lot of prep work involved if you want to get a nice coat that'll stand up to abuse. Basic list of steps involved with what I did: scrape up that sound deadening gunk, take a wire wheel to the rest of the left over gunk you couldn't scrape up, sand down the entire body, wipe down with mineral spirits, tape off everything you don't want sprayed, including grounding points and filling bolt holes with something.

vqEQmQO.jpg

wwYjmLq.jpg

o5F9ZM5.jpg

Some more info and pictures in this post I made a way back: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14866-Lining-the-inside-of-the-tub&p=255437&viewfull=1#post255437

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
take a look at the BedRug / BedTred carpet replacement - they make one that's just smooth surface like liner, mine just arrived and I can't seem to catch a break in the weather to do anything so I haven't installed it yet - but it does look good and seems pretty durable.

I helped a friend line his Jeep, used the roll-on but IMO - it was too much work for the end result, from start to finish it took about 2 weeks to get it done, removing everything, taping, prepping took most of the time. It did nothing for the road noise (which surprised me) the prep time was long, the cure time in humid weather took about a week - he left it in his garage and the smell in his house was awful. . It also sucks in the summer as he leaves his top off most the time hence it's already fading and removing mud haze is PIA. I'm glad I helped him, changed my mind about doing mine.

If you decide to do it yourself, prep is very important. Places it does not adhere to will bubble and may wear off or be susceptible to cracking which could let moisture seep in.

Last edited:
Any pics out there?

You can get floor liners from various places. I personally have the Quadratec set. Living in Florida which is either sand or swamp t makes a huge difference. When they get full I pull them out and hose them off. Something to look into.

http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/quadratec_exclusive/floor_liners/
http://www.northridge4x4.com/interior/accessories/floor-mats

R/
Will

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
That does look pretty sweet. Did you just tape off everything else? What did you use to clean the floor?
Did my orange paint on my grille and interior. Why not keep with tradition!

Just tape off and plastic anything you can to protect from over spray. I used alcohol in a spray bottle and ruffed up some of the areas with sand paper. The paint smell goes away after a few days. Obviously it's best to find good drying weather when you do it.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I used raptor liner and I'm really happy with it, but I will say that it's pretty hard to clean mud out of it. From my experience with line-x (had a trailer done with it) it's extremely coarse, even enough to scrape yourself on. That being said, raptor liner is a lot smoother, but it does have texture still, so it'll be hard to clean mud out of it still. Stuff like sand is much easier to deal with though.

Here's how mine came out. It's a lot of prep work involved if you want to get a nice coat that'll stand up to abuse. Basic list of steps involved with what I did: scrape up that sound deadening gunk, take a wire wheel to the rest of the left over gunk you couldn't scrape up, sand down the entire body, wipe down with mineral spirits, tape off everything you don't want sprayed, including grounding points and filling bolt holes with something.

vqEQmQO.jpg

wwYjmLq.jpg

o5F9ZM5.jpg

Some more info and pictures in this post I made a way back: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14866-Lining-the-inside-of-the-tub&p=255437&viewfull=1#post255437

Looks great!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've done it before and would recommend against it. Sure, it looks cool at first but, over time, it'll fade and look lame and is a magnet for dirt. Sure, you can just hose it out but, it's never that simple being that you will still have wiring all over the place. What I have found is that the carpet is your friend - it absorbs noise big time and it has heat shielding on it that does a great job of keeping it cooler inside. But hey, that's just my opinion.

jkjurny

I thought of doing this too, but ended up getting molded floor mats from Weathertech. They work really good up front as they're tight against the carpet. They easy to clean and hose off and protected against quite a few spills and mud.

The rear cargo may is just as nice and had cut outs for the subwoofer and d-rings.

The rear seat one isn't as nice though.

I'd explore the BedRug product if I dido it over again.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Depending where you live, I wouldn't worry about the heat. Live in sc. I don't even notice it. When I do it's kind of nice. In the desert I guess it get to be a pain. I'd coat it. You can always put carpet back in. Sometimes I wish I still had mine.

Top Bottom