Painted Bushwacker flat style flares??

dglangan

I went wheeling today, flexed a bit too much and almost nearly knocked off one of my rear flares. I've been thinking about new flares for a while, but now the opportunity has presented itself to buy new ones. I have a JKU Sahara, with a body colored hard top, so I like the look the colored stock ones give me... but when my tires and flares get into a fight, the tires win.

Anyway... I like the style and clearance of the bushwhacker flat flares, but if possible I'd like to paint them to match the rest of my jeep. I know they offer their pocket style flairs painted, but not their flat style. Has anyone ever done to the flat style flare or seen this done? When you flex, does the tire rub the paint off? Since the flares are built to flex, does that crack the paint?

Thanks in advance!

sean.m.adams33

I went wheeling today, flexed a bit too much and almost nearly knocked off one of my rear flares. I've been thinking about new flares for a while, but now the opportunity has presented itself to buy new ones. I have a JKU Sahara, with a body colored hard top, so I like the look the colored stock ones give me... but when my tires and flares get into a fight, the tires win.

Anyway... I like the style and clearance of the bushwhacker flat flares, but if possible I'd like to paint them to match the rest of my jeep. I know they offer their pocket style flairs painted, but not their flat style. Has anyone ever done to the flat style flare or seen this done? When you flex, does the tire rub the paint off? Since the flares are built to flex, does that crack the paint?

Thanks in advance!

Why not just cut the stock ones? They are already color matched so it should save you some money.

dglangan

Have you thought about doing a chop on yours?

Why not just cut the stock ones? They are already color matched so it should save you some money.

I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I can't cut a straight line to save my life. :crazy_eyes::crazy_eyes::crazy_eyes: Even with some good taped lines at best I'm sure I could manage some sort of zig-zag pattern. I just don't trust myself enough haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I can't cut a straight line to save my life. :crazy_eyes::crazy_eyes::crazy_eyes: Even with some good taped lines at best I'm sure I could manage some sort of zig-zag pattern. I just don't trust myself enough haha

They don't need to be perfect, just close enough and then you can take a belt sander or even a sanding block to the edges to level it out. You can then finish it up with edge molding.

jeeeep

Hooked

if you're looking at replacing the flares anyway, why not try cutting them first? if you like the way they look then you've saved some money - if you don't then order the Bushwackers.

They are paintable but a good paint job is all in the prep work - this should give you a hint at what it'll take to paint them:

http://blog.bushwacker.com/1865/fender-flares/how-to-paint-bushwacker-fender-flares/

my friend is a professional painter and he's helped me paint steel parts, his prep work detail is far more than I would ever do but the finished paint job is excellent.

dglangan

Hmm... I might just give this a shot once the weather gets a little warmer. I'll give it a shot, and then if I mess it up too bad I'll just get the bushwackers... Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... I might just give this a shot once the weather gets a little warmer. I'll give it a shot, and then if I mess it up too bad I'll just get the bushwackers... Thanks!

That's what I would do. I think you'll be surprised at how well things go.

The trick to cutting a straight line is steady speed and look ahead of where you are cutting and not the exact point. your hand will follow where you are looking. You can also use a guide to cut along.

R/
Will

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would cut your stocks, but the bushwackers do look good painted. Also you wouldnt have to worry about paint getting rubbed off since you would only be painting the top and they are hollow inside.

Leocon

The trick to cutting a straight line is steady speed and look ahead of where you are cutting and not the exact point. your hand will follow where you are looking. You can also use a guide to cut along.

R/
Will

Exactly, if you watch your feet while walking you will trip....:)

bman198

One thing to keep in mind as well is that even if you don't cut the straightest line you can go back over it with a sander and make it as even as possible. Then once you apply the all purpose weather stripping any blemishes practically disappear.

Top Bottom