Hydro assist review

Jerms

Hydro assist review UPDATED

Went with the WTO Redneck set up with just porting the Delphi box, 1.75" ram using stock pump.

Took about 2 weeks by the time I sent them my box and getting it back. Installed this past Saturday and can I say...thank the good Lord above. I have stock steering again! Obviously no time on the rocks yet, but im anxious.

It feels really good on the roads so far.

Ill report back once tested locked and on the rocks. rsz_120140323_075918.jpg

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Cant wait to see the review on this, ive been thinking about going with their kit for a while, but never saw a real review on it.

Devallee

Keep us updated please! This will be my next mod if all is well. I just can't afford a PSC system right now

Jerms

I definitely will. Problem is its gonna be another 4 weeks until my next trip :mad:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've been running the PSC system for just over 2 yrs without any issues. I'm doing an axle swap in a couple weeks to an axle that has a slightly tighter turn radius which requires a ram with a longer throw. Called up PSC and they shipped me a new one right away along with all new hoses and mounting tabs, all they charged me for was the ram itself.
1 finger steering on 40's, works great for those dinky parking spots at the mall 👍

Last edited:

Jerms

To answer if it returns to center...it does but does not return like if it were bone stock. But it does try. Comparing it to 2 of my buddies, one has a complete psc system on a 95 grand Cherokee with 38s, his feels robotic, you have to steer it back to center. My other buddies runs the redneck ram with 37s on a 98 Cherokee. It also feels robotic. I don't know if it's geometry, or there's isn't aligned correctly with proper caster, but for mine, it doesn't feel like I have to steer it to stay in the road.

Is it a little more sensitive? Yes, but I've noticed just the few times I've driven it, it's becoming easier to get used to the new feeling. I did lock it up front in a gravel parking lot and did a few turns back and forth. It's night and day different. I'll be taking a short trip next Saturday and I'll give a better review afterwards.

Rebel JK

I know Eddie had commented on the wto hydro assist with some first hand experience of some type of failure but not sure which component(s). Im aiming for a setup myself eventually so Im curious to hear about it after someone has ridden it real hard and put away wet a few times.

How does this steering compare to stock on road?

It could just be me, but it seems to be slightly more responsive than stock without being flighty or out of control. When I installed mine I was on 33's and I'm now on 40's and it steers just as smooth and easy as it did with the smaller tires. My advice would be to get together with someone that already has it and take it for a drive, I'm certain you'll like it.

Danny4652

It could just be me, but it seems to be slightly more responsive than stock without being flighty or out of control. When I installed mine I was on 33's and I'm now on 40's and it steers just as smooth and easy as it did with the smaller tires. My advice would be to get together with someone that already has it and take it for a drive, I'm certain you'll like it.

Thanks Ridg!

CRAZYCASEY

olram30 said:
Anybody hear of a "howe" ram? Just curious if anybody heard anything on that brand.
I have a couple friends running their full hydro kit on buggies. They like the components better than PSC. Looks like good quality stuff to me.

Jerms

So I took it out this weekend and played on some rocks, in particular, this one, nice steep ledge. I now can steer while locked with absolutely no problems. It performed as expected (at least my expectations), not too fast, not too slow. I couldn't be happier with the Redneck Ram and would suggest this too anyone. Again, mine is an 08 that came with the Delphi box (been told its a better box than the later ones) so take that for what its worth. I cant comment on the newer boxes.

20140405_110304_687.jpg 20140405_110304_7583.jpg ResizedImage_1396730773768.jpg

Devallee

Bumping this back up! OP how is the ram assist holding up? I'm starting to get some leaks/play/bump steer etc and am planning on this to be my next venture.

jkjurny

I would be interested to know that too. I figured the ram would take some of the stress off the sector shaft.

I think a RAM puts more stress on the sector shaft. Eddie mentions that the breaks are from twisting. Seems that a RAM can put way more torque than stock setup. As the OP posted above, he can easily turn the Jeep with the fronts locked, which is very difficult worth stock steering.

Seems to me that the RAM adds more torque which can twist the sector shaft in the long run.

Don't get me wrong though as They are beneficial for Jeeps with bigger tires.

Top Bottom