Need some opinions on a tire carrier

BobV

I hope this is the right section to post this under. Right now I'm looking at getting a new tire carrier that can handle my 35" tires on the back. Until recently I had been pretty much dead set on the Genright carrier, I had also looked at the orfab with the Rotopax carrier. Well anyway last night while looking around I found the Ace Engineering pro series carrier and bumper and really liked how it looked/functioned. From what I've read around the internet it seems like ace makes a decent product but I was just wondering if anyone on here ran this carrier/bumper setup and if so if you had any issues with it. I was able to find more info on the others but if anyone has anything to say about the orfab or Genright carrier that would be great to. Any and all help is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen it in person and it a basic bumper tire carrier. It's priced right, functions okay and has decent finish. While it may not be my cup of tea, I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Have you looked at the LoD rear bumper and tire carrier? I too was looking for a read bumper system that would work when I opened my gate without having to open the carrier first. The other thing is the LoD has rear light holes.

R/
Will

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

JAGS

Hooked
I saw the Ace set up on the Newb run in last chance canyon and it looked alright. Heavy textured finish if I recall and the driver was happy with it.

Have you looked at the LoD rear bumper and tire carrier? I too was looking for a read bumper system that would work when I opened my gate without having to open the carrier first. The other thing is the LoD has rear light holes.

R/
Will

I'd agree with Will to give these a look. LOD is a high quality manufacturer as well. The LOD armor lite gen 4 are the newest ones out and are a great set-up and super light weight. I think they'll hold up to 40s, so no issues there for you. They have two widths I think too, so you can get a narrow option. Dont know the Ace pricing, but you can negotiate the LODs gen 4 for roughly $1250 or less delivered. Has add ons for fuel, lights, etc too.

BobV

I was looking at an LoD setup for my front bumper but can't say I looked at their tire carriers. I will definitely be giving them a look now just because of the good reviews.

As of now I don't foresee 40" tires in the near future but I also said I wasn't going to go any bigger than 33's but I talked myself out of those and went straight to 35's from stock and wishing now that I had went 37's so we will see haha modding is a sickness.

And thank you all for your quick replies, if anyone else has anything to say about LoD or any other carriers for the matter that I hadn't listed let me know.

Bob

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run multiple LoD bumper tire carriers and have always found them to be great. I would highly recommend them as well.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I saw the Ace set up on the Newb run in last chance canyon and it looked alright. Heavy textured finish if I recall and the driver was happy with it.

That would be me! HAHA

I have had it for a little less than a year and would say I am happy with it. Dont have anything else to compare it to since I have never run a different one. It does what its supposed to do, mine has holes for lights, and they are nice and protected (to the point that they cant be stolen unless they take the whole bumper). It doesn't rattle and seems quite sturdy.... We will see if my opinion remains the same after I get the 37" tire on it.

Not sure if they have resolved the back-order issue yet, but I had to wait 12 weeks in total for mine.

rearbumper.jpg

attachment.php

RamP

I'm in the same boat. A bumper/ tire carrier is next on my list and Ace and LOD are the two I think I've narrowed it down too. I run the Ace rock sliders and the LOD front bumper. I've had no problems with either company on fit and function.
One handed operation is important to me as I open the tailgate quite a bit on a daily basis. Both are US made and although I'm not sure about LOD, I know the ACE stuff has a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat. A bumper/ tire carrier is next on my list and Ace and LOD are the two I think I've narrowed it down too. I run the Ace rock sliders and the LOD front bumper. I've had no problems with either company on fit and function.
One handed operation is important to me as I open the tailgate quite a bit on a daily basis. Both are US made and although I'm not sure about LOD, I know the ACE stuff has a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

The owner of LoD is a friend of mine and I can assure you that he would stand behind his products for their lifetime - no questions asked.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I've never used LOD but I know a lot of people around here that run the ACE stuff as ACE is only about 10 miles from me and people from Michigan love Michigan made products. The only complaint I've heard is that they are rather heavy which is good and bad.

As mentioned in other posts I love LoD tire carrier. I run the mid width front sliders and rear bumper and gen III tire carrier. Would recommend the. To anyone. Easy install an looks sharp.

R/
Will
AKA LoD Fanboy. ;)

BobV

The owner of LoD is a friend of mine and I can assure you that he would stand behind his products for their lifetime - no questions asked.

This in my opinion is one of the things that is worth its weight in gold, a company that will stand behind their product and offer great customer support. Which more often than not is pretty hard to find. I have been pretty lucky so far with what companies I have dealt with, knock on wood.

One handed operation is a big thing for me as well because I open up the back quite often.

I have been looking at the LoD carriers and they seem to be pretty beefy. I also like the fact that I can always add Rotopax holders as well as a few other bolt ons. And looking at their website it looks like they are just outside of West Lafayette, Indiana. Where I work we actually do quite a bit of work over in that area installing field irrigation systems. Would be kind of cool to maybe take a trip over in that direction and see if I couldn't meet some of the guys over there if at all possible.

And again I cant say thank you enough for all your guys input. Ya'll are awesome :thumb:

Bob

FastZach

I have an LOD mid width front bumper and it is pretty nice and looks good. I went with, and recommend, the JCR rear bumper tire carrier with the Rotopax mounts and rear light slots. The rotopax mount works well and doesn't make any noises off road. The bumper is extremely solid and d-ring mounts are welded through the surface and bolt into the frame. With the LOD front bumper, the d-ring mounts are just welded on the the surface of the bumper.

Top Bottom