Spilling Gasoline 09 JK

Msrunner

Over the last several fill ups had Gasoline backing up before the tank is full and splashing out.Tried adjusting the nozzle & a different pump at another station same result. Happens hot or cold day. Have owned the jeep for 4 years, something has changed. Maybe additives in the gas. Any ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, there is a TSB for this and if you are still under warranty, they will fix it for free.

Ldogg

My 08 does it, and I always grab the handle and slow the flow to a moderate trickle when I get to about 14 gallons. Then the handle will click off when it's full and I don't spill a bunch on the ground. I figured it was just my issue but maybe I will have the dealer look at it next time I go in.

KyJeeper

My 08 Rubi is doing the same thing. Called the dealer today and they said no recall has been issued for for my JK.
I got a letter last year from Jeep concerning this issue, but I can't remember if it was a TSB or a recall letter. I'm going to find it this evening and read it.

Zstairlessone

My 08 Rubi is doing the same thing. Called the dealer today and they said no recall has been issued for for my JK.
I got a letter last year from Jeep concerning this issue, but I can't remember if it was a TSB or a recall letter. I'm going to find it this evening and read it.

My 08 did it too. It wasn't a recall when I had mine done. Chrysler turned it into a lifetime fix at some point without calling it a recall.

Boji

Drives me nuts, I just stopped filling up the tank all the way. I've heard it's a jeep issue but next time I take my rig into the dealer I'll have them check it out if it's still under warranty. If not, not filling it up all the way isn't a big hassle

Edit: My rigs an '09

Msrunner

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395957279.282025.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395957293.227244.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395957302.583020.jpg
Thanks for the tip. A few minutes & $50 bucks because I did not want to wait a month for the dealer to do it.

TX_JK

I have a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon and mine started doing this at 34k miles. The dealership replace my gas tank and filler neck and the problem is fixed.

rodgerdathug

What I've read is it a warranty Issue I've tried numerous times it a pain in the ass lol

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
What I've read is it a warranty Issue I've tried numerous times it a pain in the ass lol

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

not a warranty issue - they should do it without any hassle. it's more of a soft recall -they didn't want to make an official recall so they put out a TSB to replace

KyJeeper

The dealer fixed mine last Friday, filled up today no problem. My letter from Jeep stated that is was a noted problem with the 07-08 JK's and the warrenty was extended for the life of the Jeep.

segt99

As mentioned, there is a TSB for this and if you are still under warranty, they will fix it for free.

This is correct. I received a recall for my 08 a year or so back. I had the dealer take care of it for free. The problem returned about a month ago. I went back to the dealer. Their wasn't a new recall but he called it a bulletin. It was fixed for free again.

Hack12

I finally got tired of mine doing that and having to slow down at the end of every fill-up so I brought it to my local dealership. They replaced my fuel filler neck for free under the extended warranty that, for this particular issue, lasts the life of the vehicle, regardless of ownership. Problem solved.

txjeeplover

My 08 did it too. It wasn't a recall when I had mine done. Chrysler turned it into a lifetime fix at some point without calling it a recall.

You are 100% correct. In 2011, the gas tank on some 2007 and 2008 Wranglers received a lifetime warranty due to mass complaints received by NHTSA for fuel spillage during fill-up. I was lucky to fall into that group, so I got a new tank free. They were on backorder for several months, but it eventually came in, was installed, and completely fixed the problem.

The cause of the spillage is the failure of the rollover valve at the inlet of the tank. It's suppose to close when the tank is full and allow a small amount of fuel to reach the gas pump filler which automatically shuts off. If the valve is broken and won't close, the tank burbs out fuel when it's full.

Top Bottom