$10 Mini Switch Pod?

pvanweelden

Could there really be such a thing as a $10 wireless switch pod?

Yes there could be. Would be as reliable as having actual switches and relays, no. but hey, its only 10 bucks.

10 Amps max per channel, 4 channels total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12v-4-C...ntrol-Receiver-Momentary-Switch-/160957051029- this one has a cheaper looking remote :( $10 + Free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-4-Chann...ion_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item2586fd04fb - this is one in my first pics- $15 + $6 shipping

It could run 120 watts of lights per channel. ie- a set of 12- 9 watt rock lights on one channel, a pair of 27 watt front windshield led's.

It will either supply 12 volts or ground, depending on whether you supply the relay input (common) with 12 volts or ground.

Here's what you get (or similar remote)
20140325_111208.jpg

here's one channel hooked up to an LED with the relay panel running off a 9 volt battery
20140326_160123.jpg

Here's a rough sketch of how you would hook it up (this only applies to the $15 pod- see page 4 for $10 pod)-
pencil_sketch_1395943379624a.jpg

I would recommend getting a 30 amp circuit breaker, a 4 position fuse panel from waytekwire.com and picking up (4) 10 amp ATC fuses from auto parts store.
Part # 46080 Fuse Panel $5.48
Part # 46331 Circuit Breaker $2.26 (you have to order min qty 3 :( amazon has them individually for $5

You will need some Female Insulated Quick Disconnects (31713 Blue Female Quick Disconnect terminals $8.49- qty 50- from waytekwire) or Car audio Shop- you will need 10.

Programming- before you hook it up - decide- do you want the buttons to turn the accessories on/off (latching) or do you want the accessories to turn on only for the amount of time you press the button (momentary)
The power has to be off before changing the jumper, or else it won't actually change the memory of the board.

There is a pin switch in the upper left corner- you need to change what pins the jumper ties together to change the programming
For Latching style controls- (this is probably the one you want)- (this only applies to the $15 pod)
Latching programming.jpg

For Momentary-
Momentary Programming.jpg

Next- press and release the memory button (upper right hand corner of board) Light will turn on, then press a button on the remote. Light on board will flash several times, the remote is now paired to the board.

If ever you need to reset the board, hold the memory button for 5 seconds, the light will flash a few times. Board memory is now reset.

Here is mine wired up to 4 different sets of LED's in latching mode, with all 4 channels on at once-
1396022290041.jpg

Disclaimer- Apparently the $10 devices all use the same wireless frequency :(. So I would highly suggest having a power switch or a disconnect, so you could disable the wireless functions when you don't need them.
Kind of like finding out a neighbor has his garage door opener set to the same frequency as you :)
The $15 devices might also all use the same frequency (don't have 2 to test) but the $15 device is on a different frequency than the $10 device :)

Last edited:

dahreno

Banned
Just bought one after seeing this. Can't beat $10 bucks and free shipping. I'll start off using it for LED rock lights. Thanks for the info. !

JAGS

Hooked
OK, for $10 bucks and pre-done, I ordered one up. Interested to see how you go about installing, location of receiver and pairing it with rock lights and other low-watt LEDs.

- Jason

pvanweelden

The hardest part will be finding a spot for the switches ;)
Just remember- you get what you pay for.
Mine did not come with any instructions, but the one I posted has a diagram, so I will be using it, along with sketching up how you could wire this up. But I will not be installing it. I don't need it, but maybe someone else can share their install photos. I have already proven it will work, as long as the unit you receive works.

I did install it as a wireless controller for the diy spod.

Heres a $10 pod getting wired up-
10-prewired.jpg

notched a larger hole in the side of the cover so all the wires could come out through it.
10-wired.jpg

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
The hardest part will be finding a spot for the switches ;)
Just remember- you get what you pay for.
Mine did not come with any instructions, but the one I posted has a diagram, so I will be using it, along with sketching up how you could wire this up. But I will not be installing it. I don't need it, but maybe someone else can share their install photos. I have already proven it will work, as long as the unit you receive works.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Leaving me hanging on the install. :eek:

dahreno

Banned
It's small enough to mount just about anywhere. It is also extremely easy to wire.

Last edited:

pvanweelden

I am sure you can figure out where to mount something that is the size of a deck of cards ;)

JAGS

Hooked
I'm sure it is easy. Half joking. My issues would be in the actual wiring of the lights as I'm not familiar at all with that.

pvanweelden

I will show in my diagram how you would hook a set of lights to one or all channels. For those of you with a diy spod, stay tuned, after I figure something out tomorrow, I will show how you can add this to your diy spod, to add wireless remote control of lights already hooked up to your relay panel.

pvanweelden

What I was wanting to figure out today is good news- for every channel there is a common, Normally open, and Normally closed connection. With this device, you can either have the relays switch 12 volts positive or switch the ground. The pic I posted in first post is switching grounds. Here it is switching 12 volts. This stupid little pos is like the raspberry pi, way to inexpensive for what it can do :thumbup:
I just ordered 2 of the ones I listed in the first thread so I could give better instructions on how to use it. I still need to learn how to program it.
1395932331415.jpg

I just ordered one :rock: I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do with it yet but I'm sure I'll find something :idontknow:

First thoughts are to rig the rock lights up to this in parallel to the circuit I already have in place. Then maybe my halos too. There have been times where I wanted to turn them on from across a mall parking lot. :cheesy:

Edit to add I like your remote better than the one you link to....

JAGS

Hooked
It could run 120 watts of lights per channel.

Would you want to/could you run the max 120 watts on a channel? Not sure if it's better to keep it at a certain level or percentage of max.

Edit to add I like your remote better than the one you link to....

I'd agree, but hell, it's likely going to be tucked away 98% percent of the time. But the one displayed does look a little more ghetto.

I'd agree, but hell, it's likely going to be tucked away 98% percent of the time. But the one displayed does look a little more ghetto.

I'm going to look like I'm having "Happy time" trying to turn my light on with this in my pocket:yup: I do get excited around Jeeps :cheesy:

pvanweelden

^ Lol Jay, I bought it so I hook it up to diy spod (or any relay panel) now that I have it switching 12 volts- I will just tap into the inputs of my regular relays with the output of this mini relay panel, and then have wireless control as well as the regular switches for four of my lights.

Jason- you can do up to 10 amps per channel (4). 10 amps = 120 watts per channel of lights.

Last edited:

pvanweelden

I added a quick sketch I did to the first post.
I hooked up various amounts of LED's to each of the four outputs, my receiver is programmed right now to the Jog mode (momentary) so when I press a button, it turns on the light until I let go of the button.
In this Momentary mode, you can only turn on one of the outputs at a time. In Latching Mode, you can turn any button on/off at any time, regardless of the other buttons :)

Here's one channel on at a time-
20140327_154019.jpg
20140327_154024.jpg
20140327_154028.jpg
20140327_154031.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom