You guys opinions on which tune to run on flashpaq

Chattinfarms

I bought a flashpaq mainly for speedo and tpms fix. I'm curious about tunes as I've read 20000 different opinions. I'm mainly daily driver with 2 inch rc lift running 15 inch wheels and 33s. I'm not so much concerned about fuel mileage but I also don't want to kill it. I'm planning on staying with 87 octane as it's cheaper as we all know. Right now I have it set at tow which a lot of people said works fine with 87. Just looking for opinions thanks.

Edit I am also running stock gears 3.21 in an 08 jku

Sent from the business end of my jeep

UNLIMITED_FUN

I just tuned mine yesterday with the 3872, and went with the 87 octane default.

The change I made was to correct for the 34.5" tire size which corrected speed.

Since I had just driven a long way and back packed heavy for camping, I did the tune before I unloaded the jeep for a direct comparison.

With stock I got about 15.8mpg on the hwy and less in traffic.

With the 87 tune I got up to 19.1mpg on the freeway, but 18.3 was the overall average. In traffic and not driving aggressively I get about 17.5mpg

What seems to kill my MPG in either case is that on any incline at all, ANY . . my RPM goes up to around 2650+ and stays there until there is no incline at all, then back down to around 1650 @ 65mph.

I'm under the impression that I need to do some transmission shift point adjustment.

Chattinfarms

My first option was the 87 tune with speedo correction and my mileage dropped from about 14-15 to about 11-12 but I'm at the same point with the tow tune. If this thing is going to kill my mileage I'm not going to run it. It definitely has more power for the hill climbs but I'm paying in the mileage dept.

2trackin

My first option was the 87 tune with speedo correction and my mileage dropped from about 14-15 to about 11-12 but I'm at the same point with the tow tune. If this thing is going to kill my mileage I'm not going to run it. It definitely has more power for the hill climbs but I'm paying in the mileage dept.

Are you just going by what your dash is telling you. Or are you actually calculating your mileage. I have ran tuners for years on vehicles and often times it'll throw off the instant and average dash readouts for mileage.
My duramax diesel with a bully dog programmer made the instant readout give an average of 32mpg on the highway. When in all actuality it was about 20.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buick Guy

Been running mine for 2 years and ran each tune thru a few tanks of gas each and in the end I wish I had just bought something that just adjusted for tires size and gears. 87, 91, 93 and tow tune all lost me MPG 12 - 15mpg depending on the terrain and season and really didn't make much seat of the pants difference and if I didn't want it to ping I had to run 93 octane all the time. I ended up back to factory and just adjusting for tires and gears and average between 16 and 19 mpg depending on the season and terrain and 87 octain.

JKFlyer

Been running mine for 2 years and ran each tune thru a few tanks of gas each and in the end I wish I had just bought something that just adjusted for tires size and gears. 87, 91, 93 and tow tune all lost me MPG 12 - 15mpg depending on the terrain and season and really didn't make much seat of the pants difference and if I didn't want it to ping I had to run 93 octane all the time. I ended up back to factory and just adjusting for tires and gears and average between 16 and 19 mpg depending on the season and terrain and 87 octain.

Interesting insight...I kinda feel same way. Been using 87 all along ...tried 93 for a few tanks and noticed nothing! Been meaning to try tow tune...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tcdawg

I'm curious why you stayed with this tune as well. I just got a flashpaq

Sent from my iPhone

The mileage tune did nothing for me at all but rob what little power there is in the 3.8 or at least it robbed the "feel" of power. I did not like the feel of it and didn't see any real MPG increase.

The higher octane tunes all seemed to give a "little" better performance but at the cost of gas at the pump. The very slight performance jump wasn't worth it to me for the added cost of higher octane gas.

The tow tune allows for 87 octane gas and have me a feeling of a little performance boost on the low end. Just a seat of the pants feel so this is what I stayed with.

I don't use a Suprchips unit anymore. I switched to a DiabloSport due to the program needed with my supercharger.

Landman

No do not put a lower octane with a higher octane tune. You will risk pre detonation and could destroy your motor! Why would you want to do that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Landman

Actually I could almost guarantee you will ping at load with 87 on a 91 tune.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TNuggs13

Ok a few other questions. Has anyone changed shift points or used any other options to tweak the 87 octane tune? Also, is the 87 tune and the tow tune completely different tuning or can they be combined?

JungerJk

I'm primarily running the flashpaq to make sure my tire size is calibrated correctly as well as the axle gearing. I've played with the 91 vs 87 tuning a bit, but mileage difference we're not very big. I have used the "crawl" program when running the Rubicon and that was actually pretty nice keeping the idle up a bit.

Top Bottom