Air Intake?

leximann

Ive been noticing that when Im running on some trails, my engine naturally gets pretty hot. I was thinking a K & N Air Filter may help? What have you done to help this issue?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ive been noticing that when Im running on some trails, my engine naturally gets pretty hot. I was thinking a K & N Air Filter may help? What have you done to help this issue?

More info is needed here. A K&N air filter won't prevent your engine from getting hot. Good airflow to your radiator and not running your A/C while on the trail will keep your oil temp in check.

crowrb29

^^^^^this. I never run my AC on trails. If anything I'll go doorless. Your rig is working pretty hard in 4 low and the AC already takes a lot of resources under normal operating conditions.

Snsrubicon

Running hot

Ok so I have a 2012 and it always seems to run a little hot. Seems they all do. I have tried everything and still gets hot. I have decided to go and get a bigger radiator and I think that will solve the issue. I hope. They are ok to hit about 230. I don't like it that hot.

jeeeep

Hooked

do you lock out OD when on the trails? do you have a transmission cooler (I know it sounds crazy but this will help in cooling)? any grill inserts ?

I have a 2010 and run the A/C all the time without issue, I always have OD locked out when I'm wheeling

Kilroy

Ok so I have a 2012 and it always seems to run a little hot. Seems they all do. I have tried everything and still gets hot. I have decided to go and get a bigger radiator and I think that will solve the issue. I hope. They are ok to hit about 230. I don't like it that hot.

My 2014 hits 220 on road i don't like that either.

[edited]

leximann

I always have the air off while on trails, kinda figured it wouldnt help the temp (doors & windows are better!). But let me know how the bigger radiator works, might have to pick one up. I dont have a grill insert now, but I like the look of em.

Back to the K&N intake, would you recommend? And I really am a noob... What is the exact purpose of these...

DaK

I always have the air off while on trails, kinda figured it wouldnt help the temp (doors & windows are better!). But let me know how the bigger radiator works, might have to pick one up. I dont have a grill insert now, but I like the look of em.

Back to the K&N intake, would you recommend? And I really am a noob... What is the exact purpose of these...

About the filter, people believe that the cloth filter with spray does a better job capturing dirt/airborne particulars before they can get into your engine. The manufacturers of these items boast this and an HP increase. I use them because buying a regular filter is so expensive. By the time you swap out 3 or 4 regular filters the K&N or other reusable filter has paid for itself. A couple of things you must do with these filters is clean them regularly and re-oil them. This entails, cleaning them with a degreaser solution that the manufacturer will be happy to sell you, letting then dry, then re-oil, let it dry, then install. Letting them dry is important as you don't want the oil dirtying up your TB or air sensor.

At this time I am running a panel filter and using the stock box. Where I live the air is often dusty just from the wind, we won't even talk about being on the trails out here. The panel gets cleaned often due to this. At some point in the future I may run a cone filter but will have to come up with a way to protect it better than running open as I see most people do. With this said I personally would not invest in a CAI (Cold Air Intake). CAI's IMO should pull from the outside air and not the engine bay. From most of what I see with Jeep CAI's they pull from the engine bay. For the cones a lot of manufacturers are offering a "pre-filter" that can be easily removed, washed with water, dried and re-installed thus, preventing the heavy maintenance of the oiled portion of the filter.

HDGasser

K&N suck ass... If you do any kind of dusty driving you will get dirt thru the filter I don't care what anyone says.

K&n = 4ply

Afe has a 7ply

S&B makes 8ply filters <-- that's what I run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My 2014 hits 220 on road i don't like that either.

Please do not post links to JKO. They are a forum that is openly hostile toward me personally, my moderators and this forum and the owners there encourage it. If you have something to add, please just posted it up in your own words. Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, a new intake will not help keep your motor running cooler. If anything, there has been more and more cases of 3.6L motors going bad because of them. I would stick with your factory airbox and paper filter.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Please do not post links to JKO. They are a forum that is openly hostile toward me personally, my moderators and this forum and the owners there encourage it. If you have something to add, please just posted it up in your own words. Thank you.

i believe it. i was in delaware at my beach house this weekend and i waved at a jeep whiile i was sitting at a light. as he made the turn in front of me he proceded to flip me off. :asshat: i saw he had a JKO sticker on his cowel as he drove off. i guess he saw my banner and he didnt like that :idontknow: it was a nice jeep to

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You have a 3.6 it's normal. My motor was super hot on the last trip during one obstacle that I actually shut it off to cool it down a bit. The temp gauge never went above half but the amount of heat it was generating was more then I wanted.

Kilroy

Ok no problem did not know that. Thx for the heads up. Forgot that we are in high school still. There balls still have not dropped and need to make fun of others i got it. Lol

Well i guess thats why I'm on this forum. :)

mrmet1983

A new radiator fan will help but a new air filter will do absolutely nothing. Might want to get a coolant flush how long has it been since u changed ur fluid

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

leximann

As mentioned, a new intake will not help keep your motor running cooler. If anything, there has been more and more cases of 3.6L motors going bad because of them. I would stick with your factory airbox and paper filter.

Gotcha, good to know! Thanks!

noroad

i believe it. i was in delaware at my beach house this weekend and i waved at a jeep whiile i was sitting at a light. as he made the turn in front of me he proceded to flip me off. :asshat: i saw he had a JKO sticker on his cowel as he drove off. i guess he saw my banner and he didnt like that :idontknow: it was a nice jeep to

No way this happened to me about 3 weeks ago on the highway a guy pulled up in a lifted white jeep with a JKO sticker on his side and flipped me the bird two then he tried to out run me lol silly 3.8 he lost and got the bird as well but i was so shocked that a jeep just flipped me off lol!

Top Bottom