Bear Valley Trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks back, Cindy and I tried to do another run through the Donner Summit snow sheds but as luck would have it, Union Pacific crews were out there with heavy equipment and closed them to access. Unsure of how long they would be closed, we decided to head north of Truckee and do a quick run on the Bear Valley Trail. Here are a few pics from our day out.

It always sucks to come up to a trail and find a sign like this standing in your way...
394763_10151014201323971_105007094_n.jpg

Fortunately, there are plenty of other trails in the area and so, we headed north and hopped onto the Bear Valley Trail. Here we are at the start of the trail...
main.php

For the most part, the Bear Valley Trail is really easy but, rocky enough to keep you from going too fast. It also has a lot of narrow scratchy brush and for that, we were glad to have come without our doors on. Here's a shot of us at one of the high points along the trail...
main.php

There are only two obstacles on this trail that would give it a "difficult" rating, if not for the fact that you can bypass them, and the first of which is a rock garden called Ball Peen...
main.php

Running 37" Nitto's and EVO coil overs, it was hard to find a hard line but, we tried...
main.php

main.php

main.php

What does make this rock garden somewhat of a challenge is that all the boulders are loose and move around with ease beneath your tires. Here we are on the second half of the climb...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Back in the open...
main.php

Tessa scouting the trail ahead...
main.php

Pictures really don't do it justice but, the second real obstacle on the trail is simply called "Winch Hill" and it gets its name from the fact that the hill is steep and very loose. My first attempt was to try and crawl it...
main.php

But, as you can imagine, that only left me digging in. So, I gave it another stab with a bit more momentum - that worked...
main.php

The trail out was rocky but, nothing too tough...
main.php

Hopeing that the work being done to the snow sheds and train tunnels would be done sooner than later, we decided to head back to them and give it a look. Unfortunately, when we got there, they were still very much closed and without any sign it would be open again soon. So, we headed west to another set of sheds still in use to take a few pics of them...
main.php

main.php

main.php

All was good until we realized that a train was coming!!
main.php

Fortunately, we got out with plenty of time and even found that the train was coming through a different shed :D
If you would like to see all the pics from our trip, simply click on the link below:

Bear Valley Trail Photos

:cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome run looks like a blast! I'm sure that train gave you a little pucker factor for a bit. Haha

LOL!! let's just say, it got us moving real quick :D

unlike the sheds that you can drive in, these are very much still in use and this particular one had one track coming in from the west but branched off and had multiple exits out. we were in the northern most shed and this one went out the southern most.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
wayoflife said:
LOL!! let's just say, it got us moving real quick :D

unlike the sheds that you can drive in, these are very much still in use and this particular one had one track coming in from the west but branched off and had multiple exits out. we were in the northern most shed and this one went out the southern most.

Haha got lucky, it's kind of like fast and furious except with a jeep lol :D

JKJody

Hot rail!!!! Lol. Luckily the speed is restricted over the "hill". When i worked for the BNSF railway we were 70mph down the track from richmond to fresno. Even though the trains are moving slow up there, they can still sneak up on you!! I wish i was up there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hot rail!!!! Lol. Luckily the speed is restricted over the "hill". When i worked for the BNSF railway we were 70mph down the track from richmond to fresno. Even though the trains are moving slow up there, they can still sneak up on you!! I wish i was up there.

yeah, fortunately, the train blew it's horn as it was passing norden. we could barely hear it but, it was enough to get us thinking we needed to get out of the shed. :D

Awesome! Got to love it when plan B turns out to be fantastic!

yeah, well, we might try to head back up in october to do plan A again to take some better pics. the last couple of times we ran the sheds, there was way too much traffic and couldn't really take time to stop.

Top Bottom