Hot Hemi

safecracker909

My engine likes to get hot. Not to the point that it goes above the 3/4 mark, but hot enough to turn on the heater to help cool things. This only happens when we go up hill and on warm days.
As the summer is approaching, I would like to fix the problem.
The motor has an electric fan and not the mechanically fan found on trucks with Hemi motors.
In the next couple of weeks I will be replacing our lights that may be blocking airflow to the grill. I was also thinking of moving the trans cooler to the rear of the Jeep and provide its own fan.
Any suggestions?

My engine likes to get hot. Not to the point that it goes above the 3/4 mark, but hot enough to turn on the heater to help cool things. This only happens when we go up hill and on warm days.
As the summer is approaching, I would like to fix the problem.
The motor has an electric fan and not the mechanically fan found on trucks with Hemi motors.
In the next couple of weeks I will be replacing our lights that may be blocking airflow to the grill. I was also thinking of moving the trans cooler to the rear of the Jeep and provide its own fan.
Any suggestions?

What conversion kit are you using? AEV?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't see an issue. :idon'tknow: going up long grades on hot days with make almost everyone's motor hot. Sounds normal to me.

safecracker909

What conversion kit are you using? AEV?

It is an AEV conversion using a motor from a Jeep Commander.

I don't see an issue. :idon'tknow: going up long grades on hot days with make almost everyone's motor hot. Sounds normal to me.

I understand getting a little warm (210 degrees) on long grades. But I am pushing 275 degrees and the only one out of 10+ rigs on the same route at the same time.

dirtlimo

How hot are we talking about?
I have the AEV Hemi kit and I also installed an Edge CTS so I can see actual numbers, and not just rely on the gauge.
She will hit 212, turn the fan on and drop to 198 and repeat.
On hot days this happens more often of course but is very repeatable.
The gauge in the cluster never moves from 1/2, I have never witnessed a 3/4 temp gauge yet.
I have a Warn winch and a light bar up there, but it does not seem to diminish the cooling capacity.
Hope this helps.

Have you given AEV a call to see If there is something they may know about this issue? I'm sure you're not the only one with a engine temp problem

HDGasser

Damn the 3/4 mark! That's pretty hot... 260+ probably

Lets hear what u got for mods, what year hemi, who's conversion?

I've got my hemi heat issues pretty well knocked now.

safecracker909

So I finally got my overheating issue solved. AEV makes a wiring harness so that 07-11 jeeps can install a 2012 or newer fan. This fan now draws in more air than the older fans. I also had the trans cooler moved to the rear with its own fan. Between the two, the temp never passed the middle line on a hot day while using the ac up the mountain grade.

Thanks to Redlands Motorsports for the work and idea of moving the trans cooler to the rear. Now my rig sounds like a jet aircraft. :)

Top Bottom