How Much Plasti-Dip?

cddye

So- I'm thinking about doing a black plasti-dip on the stock JK wheels, but since the stuff isn't super cheap, I was wondering if anyone with experience doing this could give me an idea of how much I could expect to run through to get good coverage on all 5 wheels?

Also- what's the durability been like for you? Will this hold up to DD activities or is it going to chip and peel as soon as I have to go down a gravel road?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think I used 2 or 3 cans and did heavy coats. But in buy it buy the case since it's only $6 a can and I can use it around the house for stuff too.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Why don't you use the bed liner? Plastidip is hard to clean, brake dust is really hard to get off and the bed liner isn't going to run away off-road.

cddye

I haven't seen any wheels with bedliner on them- I'm really looking for a matte black look. I'm open to options though.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I haven't seen any wheels with bedliner on them- I'm really looking for a matte black look. I'm open to options though.

The bed liner has a matte black look. Just google image search. Cost the same per can as Plastidip and is actually durable where Plastidip isn't. I'll be going this route eventually. Looks good in person too.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i just used 2 cans of matte black paint. took them off, sanded and a couple of coats. 6 bucks total

Rebel JK

Used 1 can PD for 4 aluminum wheels on the kids f150 almost a year ago. Didnt do any special prep, only quick wipe down with brake cleaner. Has held up great even under these types of conditions. Went this route because I didnt want it permanent.

ForumRunner_20140330_130702.jpg

dglangan

When I still had my stock wheels, I used one can of plastidip per wheel. A few coats on the outside and a few on the inside. Remember, the thicker you spray it on, the easier it will peel off when you're looking to go back to stock. Mine lasted a good 6 months before one got a hole in the plastidip from wheeling. It's great for everyday use, but it's no match for a rock. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396218259.540464.jpg

StrizzyChris

It all depends on your application of the dip. On my old 07 jku, I did 3 layers. The first was super light, the second was average and the final layer was heavy. I used a total of 3 cans on the 5 wheels.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Used 1 can PD for 4 aluminum wheels on the kids f150 almost a year ago. Didnt do any special prep, only quick wipe down with brake cleaner. Has held up great even under these types of conditions. Went this route because I didnt want it permanent.

View attachment 76400

I have a hard time getting mud and dirt off my grille haha I couldn't imagine clean up on your wheels after that! My buddies new Camaro he couldn't get the brake dust off and would have to add coats over it till he gave up and got new wheels. It's almost like the mud/dirt stains the Plastidip. Just my experience with it.

DMF

You won't even notice the brake dust on the black plasti-dip wheels. I would also use 3-4 cans because the more you put on the easier it will be to pull off later. For the small over spray you can use adhesive remover to just wipe any residue of plasti-dip.

Top Bottom