Gold Rush Run 2012 - Part 2: Gold Valley

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rich in history and with so many fun trails to run, it was really hard not to head back up into gold country and do some more exploring. On this trip, we decided to do a quick run out to Deer Lake and then make our way across Gold Valley to check out some of the side trails, mines and wildflowers that were supposed to be in full bloom. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Starting our expedition on the Deer Valley Trail - so cool to see all the moss covered trees...
main.php

Shot from the rim looking down on the ever tranquil, Deer Lake...
main.php

Heading in for a closer look...
main.php

main.php

We haven't been up to this lake in years but I can tell you, little has changed - so beautiful...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Some lovely Low phacelia near by that we found...
main.php

After leaving Deer Lake, we made our way north to hook up to the Gold Valley trail...
main.php

As you can see, most of the trails in this area are easy but very scenic...
main.php

For fun, we decided to explore one of the spurs along the way that would ultimately take us out to Smith Lake...
main.php

Here are a few shots of unusually large Tiger Lillys that kind of looked like pumpkins or paper lanterns...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot of Smith Lake - pretty, but really buggy...
main.php

On the move again and crossing beautiful fields of wildflowers...
main.php

main.php

Here we are pulled along side an old dead tree that had been cleared from the trail. Being that so much of the forest was clear cut to support the mines in the area, we were surprised to see that when it was alive, it's diameter was almost a thick as Rubicat is tall...
main.php

Coming out of the forest and out onto a ridge, the Mule Ears were in full bloom in spite of the fact that it was late in the season...
main.php

main.php

High up on the ridge, we got an awesome view of Wades, Rock and Jamison Lake...
main.php

Of course, the Crest Lupines up here were simply out of this world...
main.php

main.php

Rubicat nestled in and among them like a bumble bee...
main.php

The trail ends in the mining town of Johnsville which is located in the Plumas Eureka State Park. This is essentially a big museum with all kinds of cool mining structures and equipment to check out...
main.php

A lot of the mining done in this area was with one of these - the ever destructive hydraulic water monitor...
main.php

But, there was still plenty of hard rock mining going on too. Here's drill, various pumps and other machinery...
main.php

main.php

If you can believe it, this is an old air compressor. I wonder if you could fit it under the hood of a JK?
main.php

A very cool stamp mill display that shows how the whole thing works...
main.php

We have been to a lot of old mining camps and ghost towns and have to say that the old Mohawk Stamp Mill is by far one of the largest wooden structure of its kind that we've ever seen. Very impressive that it's still standing and in the condition that it's in...
main.php

main.php

I hope you enjoyed following us vicariously on Part 2 of our Gold Rush Run. If you would like to see all the pics we took along the way, simply click on the link below:

Gold Rush Run 2012 - Part 2: Gold Valley Photo Gallery

:cool:

JeepFan

Hooked
Awesome pictures! :thumb: We would love to explore this area someday. Thanks for sharing your adventure...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks guys, there really is so much to see and explore up there. we'll definitely have to find some time and drag you up there with us so that you can see it for yourselves.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That looks like a fun trip! I really need to get up north this summer but I have a feeling a week won't be long enough.

Prime8

The photos you guys take are incredible. Ever consider making a travel book for camping? The jeeping audience may be pretty small, but the overall outdoors community is huge and your wildlife pictures are awesome

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like a fun trip! I really need to get up north this summer but I have a feeling a week won't be long enough.

No, a week really isn't long enough. That's why we're typically up there for a month and that still doesn't feel like enough time. :crazyeyes:

The photos you guys take are incredible. Ever consider making a travel book for camping? The jeeping audience may be pretty small, but the overall outdoors community is huge and your wildlife pictures are awesome

Thank you, that's real nice of you to say :blush:

jelliott076

thanks guys, there really is so much to see and explore up there. we'll definitely have to find some time and drag you up there with us so that you can see it for yourselves.

This would be a trip definitely worth burning some vacation time! I'll be watching to see when you're doing it. How many days does the round trip usually take?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This would be a trip definitely worth burning some vacation time! I'll be watching to see when you're doing it. How many days does the round trip usually take?

Well, if you're up in the area already, you can do this as a day trip or as a camping trip lasting as long as you want. But, to get up there takes at least one full day from SoCal and once you're there, you really want to spend at least a few days there.

jelliott076

Well, if you're up in the area already, you can do this as a day trip or as a camping trip lasting as long as you want. But, to get up there takes at least one full day from SoCal and once you're there, you really want to spend at least a few days there.

Yeah, I'm with Overlander on this, a week plus would be good. I've got family in Nevada City and San Jose that I've been needing to visit. August or September may be the time to do it. Every other month is going to be difficult for that much time off. If you guys get something on the books in Upcoming Trips, I'll do my best to get the time free.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with Overlander on this, a week plus would be good. I've got family in Nevada City and San Jose that I've been needing to visit. August or September may be the time to do it. Every other month is going to be difficult for that much time off. If you guys get something on the books in Upcoming Trips, I'll do my best to get the time free.

There are some great areas to explore up around Nevada City for sure. If we can get something going, I will be sure to post it up here.

Top Bottom