Oil disapearing

cosmo11

we have a 2011 JK Unlimited, LOVE IT, we went on vac to tenn about 5 hrs from us. Well got to tenn, and on some of the hills i noticed a little lifter chatter, so after finding a level spot to check the oil, it was not even showing on the stick,,soooo 3 guarts later i get her up to the full mark, call my dealer and they told me (it happens) ahhh no it don't. Once back, dealer took a look at it and told me its one of two things, 1 their guy did not fill it all the way:thinking: or 2 it has an internal problem:doh:but to tear it down to look, i got to run it for a couple thousand miles and see if it goes down or if it was their F&%# up. Well 1003 mile later it has lost almost 1 1/2 guarts. called them up and it goes in to the doctor this tuesday... not looking foward to it,, i am afraid this is going to cause more problems, mabe not,,(i hope not), she's got 31000 on her know

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as the link moochie posted shows, this is a common problem that we're starting to see with the old 3.8L

cosmo11

im pretty sure thats what i've been doing,, they had changed the oil and told me to kep an eye on it and if it drop call them, so i checked it after 1003 and it was over 1 quart low.. not sure if thats the oil consumption test:dont_know:

Moochie

When you do a test the dealership starts by changing your oil. You then bring it back after 500 miles so they can check your oil level and note how much it has used. They top it off and you bring it back after another 500 miles. This goes on until they have a record of how much oil the Jeep is using. You can not add oil yourself. In my situation, I have to bring it back at 400 miles because by then it's almost 2 quarts low.

Moochie

From what I have read, Chrysler considers 1 quart low per 1000 miles in the acceptable range. My Jeep is using approximately 4.5 quarts per 1000 miles.

Gary Palms2Pines

The oil can't be disappearing into thin air. Any evidence of a leak on the garage floor? Tail pipe dirty and oily? Spark plugs showing signs of fouling/and or signs of oil residue?
This kind of consumption is NOT normal or acceptable in my opinion. Sounds like Chrysler is giving you the run around.

Moochie

Gary Palms2Pines said:
The oil can't be disappearing into thin air. Any evidence of a leak on the garage floor? Tail pipe dirty and oily? Spark plugs showing signs of fouling/and or signs of oil residue?
This kind of consumption is NOT normal or acceptable in my opinion. Sounds like Chrysler is giving you the run around.

For sure, 4.5 quarts per 1000 miles is not acceptable. My JK has close to 70,000 miles on it with the lifetime power train warranty. So far so good with my dealership. Still doing oil consumption test and waiting for word from Chrysler on the next move. My main concern are the 37" tires that might cause issues with the warranty.

No leaks, just a small amount of smoke on downshifts that can be seen from the rear.

Last edited:

Marcel

My 2009 JK 3.8 had the same problem. The dealer did an oil consumption test then they decided to replace the block under warranty. It's been 15,000 KM since the block replacement and it's now all good.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My oil consumption was getting pretty had with the jeep recommended oil. I was at 1.25-1.5 quarts per 1k miles consumption rate. I switched to 15w30 and it 100% went away. No more startup knock, no reduction in fuel economy. My black stone oil analysis results improved significantly.

MikeLisa

After reading this just went and checked mine. I'm about .5 quart low with about 3500 mile since last oil change. Going to get with the dealership to keep and eye on it.

cosmo11

well i dropped off the jeep yesterday, spoke with the gm of parts and service, basicly ask him NOT to float me threw on the warrenty, because i have under 6k left on factory warrenty.. He asured me that the problem will be fixed the first time, and basicly said if its a pvc, headgasket or simple fix the warrenty will stay the same but if they fix a hard part re-ring it, or change the engine block i will get another 12/12 on top of the existing warrenty.. but in the mean time they gave me this to drive lol
2012-08-0895154207.jpg

2012-08-0895154151.jpg

Trail_Creeper

How you liking that Charger for a rental? I good friend of mine bought one after his deployment. It was in the dealer for random codes 8 times in 2 months, to say the least it was traded for a 2012 JK Sahara 2Dr.

cosmo11

its not bad, its sure not a jeep, i feel like im setting on the ground.. but its better than a kia lol

Top Bottom