What would cause a grinding noise??

Tyler02

I was riding Saturday and got in some slick clay. I locked the jeep in 4hi and the front end was bouncing a little and the tires were squealing if they caught a little they were caked up with clay. I washed the jeep today and started down the road and a grinding noise along with a vibration and popping started. It only happens when I get to about 10-15mph. I was just down the street from the house so I parked it. Anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this??

Tyler02

Also after it happened I didn't try and get above that speed I was still on my street so I turned around and parked it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check to make sure you got all the clay out between the rotors and dust shield? As far as the vibrations go, did you make sure to get all the clay out of the inside of your wheels?

Tyler02

I have sprayed everything out with a pressure washer. That's what I don't get. I drove home an hour and a half from where I was wheeling and everything was fine. Today I cleaned everything and right after I cleaned it I jumped in headed to work and the problem started

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have sprayed everything out with a pressure washer. That's what I don't get. I drove home an hour and a half from where I was wheeling and everything was fine. Today I cleaned everything and right after I cleaned it I jumped in headed to work and the problem started

Yes, but did you actually check to make sure everything was clean in between the rotors and dust shield and inside your wheels? Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to help you think things through.

Tyler02

I haven't had the wheels of to check yet. I had to be at work. I'm going to take a look tomorrow and see what I can find I was just trying to get an idea of what it could be. I'm really just hoping it's nothing major.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had the wheels of to check yet. I had to be at work. I'm going to take a look tomorrow and see what I can find I was just trying to get an idea of what it could be. I'm really just hoping it's nothing major.

Well, I am trying to help you get an idea of what it could be and I think it could be something as simple as mud/clay still stuck between your rotors and dust shield and on your wheels. At least, that's a common problem and nothing major. Either way, it's a good idea to rule them out before considering other possible problems.

JKbrick

Does your transfer case lever seem to still be hooked up? If that little plastic bushing broke off it could still be stuck in 4high

jeeeep

Hooked
you may have to pull the wheels - when I get in this texas mud (clay) I have to pull the wheels to get the clay that setup on the trip home, it dries fast and sticks like a sob to the backside of the wheels, between the rotor and dust shield and everywhere you can't fully see with the wheels on.

I pulled my shields this weekend to clean the rust and touch them up and even though I spent a good hour power spraying between them ( a year ago!) more hardened clay fell out :doh:

Tyler02

Well when I first heard and felt it the only thing going through my head was great i wonder how much this is going to cost. I hope it's something as simple as that though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well when I first heard and felt it the only thing going through my head was great i wonder how much this is going to cost. I hope it's something as simple as that though.

:cheesy: Trust me, I think we all feel the same way. Just start with the basics and go from there. For something like this, more times than not it's just something simple. :yup:

Tyler02

Well you hit the nail on the head. It was a rock. It's always a good thing when you can fix the jeep for free ha. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom