2012 regearing

Holeshot

Banned
Hi,

I own a 2012 manual 2 door jk (basic with 2.72:1 TC), and I plan some trips toward west coast in couple years, once my build up will be done. I plan on putting 37's under the jeep, but here's the question.

Where I live, we need winter tires from Oct.-Nov. to March. Y'all know that winter tires that big just doesn't exist lol. I'll run my 35 duratracs during winter, and probably 37" MTR-K during summer. I'd like to keep my consumption low, and have a good offroad behavior and a good crawl ratio.

Quebec to Moab is almost 4000km :doh: So you understand that having a good fuel consumption is primordial.

If I look at the gear chart for the 2012 with std tranny, comparing 35 to 37, if I want to stay in the green zone, I got to take 4.56, BUT, if I really want a good crawl ratio I should go with 4.88 or even 5.13, but since I run on 35's during winter, I'll be screwed with fuel consumption xD.

Another option I could take in concideration is to swap the TC for the rubi rock-trac, but a friend of mine told me they were weak in the planetary system, due to thinner gears or something like that.

any suggestion or advices?

thanks

307214d1321989751-2012-jk-tire-size-gear-chart-6369520629_ff50dd30d1_b.jpg

mackey

I have a 2012 JKU. I run BFG KM2 37s (really 36.5 lol ) I regeared to 5:13. I love it. I average between 15-17 MPH around town. I wanted more power, but would at least go 4:88.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
we're still running factory 4.10's with our 37's and find that it's not bad at all. if mpg is a concern, i would go with 4.88's.

Holeshot

Banned
we're still running factory 4.10's with our 37's and find that it's not bad at all. if mpg is a concern, i would go with 4.88's.

That's what I had in mind.

Having 4:1 is a good thing for you and helps in being slower on 4 lo than my 2.72:1. If I had the rock-trac I would probably go with a faster ratio maybe.

Have you ever had any mecanical problems or brake on the rock-trac TC?

Top Bottom