Tow hook mounting ideas please?

hydrohut

Hi all, to comply to a club rule I need to mount one rated tow hook (10,000lb) to the front of my JK. I have a simple home built bumper with four bolt D shackle plates and don't really want to change these. ideally something like the factory type tow hook setup but with a higher rating would suit and I could make one or two of these fit behind the shackle plates and they would be pulling off the end of the chassis. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes something similar with a rating that would suit? Or any brilliant ideas to mount one up front as there doesn't seem to be anywhere to bolt one onto the chassis. Ideas much appreciated.
Getting them to change the rule is not possible. They only allow snatching off rated hooks, not shackles etc so this is why I am looking for ideas.

kaptkrappy

Never heard of such a thing. Everybody (well almost everybody) uses shackles in the front.

What are the other club members using ? Do they recommend anything ?

hydrohut

Never heard of such a thing. Everybody (well almost everybody) uses shackles in the front.

What are the other club members using ? Do they recommend anything ?

There are no other JK's in the club that I know of but will double check on that. They are not so common over here in NZ. And yes that rule surprised me.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did you search the internet for 10000 pound jeep tow hooks? Looked like quite a few options out there.

MTG

Caught the Bug
There are no other JK's in the club that I know of but will double check on that. They are not so common over here in NZ. And yes that rule surprised me.

I'd check and see if it's really a vehicle weight issue. The factory hooks are only rated to 5500 I believe.

hydrohut

I'd check and see if it's really a vehicle weight issue. The factory hooks are only rated to 5500 I believe.
Thanks MTG, yes plenty of tow hooks out there to buy but just finding a simple solution to mounting one on the front is the problem. Nothing comes up specific to fit the JK on the front. Mounting direct off my bumper would not be strong enough.
Even on a lighter vehicle they still insist on 10,000lb hooks unfortunately.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thanks MTG, yes plenty of tow hooks out there to buy but just finding a simple solution to mounting one on the front is the problem. Nothing comes up specific to fit the JK on the front. Mounting direct off my bumper would not be strong enough.
Even on a lighter vehicle they still insist on 10,000lb hooks unfortunately.

Sorry. Maybe just stencil "10,000" in white paint on the stock ones and call it good. :idontknow:

hydrohut

Did they say why the prefer a hook over a shackle? Just curious is all.
To cut a long story short they simply don't trust any shackle in a recovery situation. All my shackles are rated, the plates are heavy duty. You could snatch anything off them but rules are rules....

Or find a different club with an open mind....

Just seems silly that something so simple is a concrete rule that can't be worked out in an equal or better way.

kaptkrappy

Or find a different club with an open mind....

Just seems silly that something so simple is a concrete rule that can't be worked out in an equal or better way.

Yep, considering that too.

I don't think you will be able to find a club in NZ that doesn't have the same rules.

I was reading on the internets (so it has to be true) about New Zealand and Australian off road clubs and the are required by law (insurance) to have the 10K "hook only" regulation in their rules.

Some clubs even have pages of specs on how the hooks have to be mounted and where.

Good Luck.

hydrohut

I don't think you will be able to find a club in NZ that doesn't have the same rules.

I was reading on the internets (so it has to be true) about New Zealand and Australian off road clubs and the are required by law (insurance) to have the 10K "hook only" regulation in their rules.

Some clubs even have pages of specs on how the hooks have to be mounted and where.

Good Luck.

True, this club has the pages of specs for the hooks. In their favour though, they are a very well run and respected club with good access to many area's normally out of bounds and they don't have any other inflexible rules. So I will fabricate something that mounts using the four bolt, flat plate system that the D shackle plates use and move on. Thanks for your input guy's.

Top Bottom