painting evo sliders.

dunstan74

So the boat carrying my evo sliders finally docked in Australia and I should be getting them in the next week or so. I was after people's opinions on the best way to paint them before I have them burnt on?

Can I just take a rattle can to them or is the steps needed to prep them first?

Also any recommendations on type of paint I should use?

Thanks in advance.

seanb123

So the boat carrying my evo sliders finally docked in Australia and I should be getting them in the next week or so. I was after people's opinions on the best way to paint them before I have them burnt on?

Can I just take a rattle can to them or is the steps needed to prep them first?

Also any recommendations on type of paint I should use?

Thanks in advance.

Anything steel should get a good cleaning and scuff with some scotchbrite

dunstan74

Ok so give them a thorough once over with the scotch brite. What would my next step be? I want them to look good but be easy to touch up also.

Sandpaper for metal, clean with acetone, rattle can rustoleum primer, rattle can bedliner in very light coats. Let each coat dry completely. Take your time and it will last forever. Keep an extra can of bedliner spray for touch ups.

jeeeep

Hooked
1. old white rags for cleaning with acetone work best - you'll be able to tell when the metal is clean, amazing how much stuff there is on it. clean every bit of it
2. scuff, I like the abrasive nylon cup brushes - work in a drill and scuffs fast
3. clean it once more then go over all of it with a cheese cloth to get any remaining material from scuffing.
4. self-etching primer light coats - let it dry between coats, shake the can regulary
5. rattle can Duplicolor bedliner or Rustoleum bedliner - the Rustoleum is smooth, Duplicolor has nice texture - spray from a distance of at least 12" or it will build up fast and run - also shake the can often and wipe the tip, it'll build up and blow chunks ...
light coats and let it dry between coats

If you have somewhere you can hang it to paint all sides it's easier. be sure to examine the corners where the joints are, they are places where the paint tends to miss and not get good coverage.

the prep work will make your paint job last much longer.

enjoy! :beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I didn't even wash mine. I just shot them with self etching primer and then spray on Bedliner and they held up fine until I used them. Mine won't stay pretty long enough to worry about how the paint will hold.

dunstan74

1. old white rags for cleaning with acetone work best - you'll be able to tell when the metal is clean, amazing how much stuff there is on it. clean every bit of it
2. scuff, I like the abrasive nylon cup brushes - work in a drill and scuffs fast
3. clean it once more then go over all of it with a cheese cloth to get any remaining material from scuffing.
4. self-etching primer light coats - let it dry between coats, shake the can regulary
5. rattle can Duplicolor bedliner or Rustoleum bedliner - the Rustoleum is smooth, Duplicolor has nice texture - spray from a distance of at least 12" or it will build up fast and run - also shake the can often and wipe the tip, it'll build up and blow chunks ...
light coats and let it dry between coats

If you have somewhere you can hang it to paint all sides it's easier. be sure to examine the corners where the joints are, they are places where the paint tends to miss and not get good coverage.

the prep work will make your paint job last much longer.

enjoy! :beer:

Thank you! Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Is it better to do this in the shade or can I do it in sunlight to help drying between coats?
And after they have been scratched up can I simply touch up with rustoleum or is it better to do the same prep work to the area im touching up?

dunstan74

I didn't even wash mine. I just shot them with self etching primer and then spray on Bedliner and they held up fine until I used them. Mine won't stay pretty long enough to worry about how the paint will hold.

Yeah I want mine to hold up nice, we have completely different terrain than you guys over here so mine wont be taking constant abuse.

Mikes Offroad

I like VHT roll bar paint, nice and tough paint comes out like a semi gloss black. I think Eddie is the one that put me onto that paint.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thank you! Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Is it better to do this in the shade or can I do it in sunlight to help drying between coats?
And after they have been scratched up can I simply touch up with rustoleum or is it better to do the same prep work to the area im touching up?

doesn't matter inside or out, if it's a hot day it'll dry nicely. If I'm painting outside, I always seem to be picking bugs and other stuff that falls onto my paint job

just touch it up with what ever you decide to use as the final coat

if you use acetone on a painted surface it will remove the paint

swag247

Sandpaper for metal, clean with acetone, rattle can rustoleum primer, rattle can bedliner in very light coats. Let each coat dry completely. Take your time and it will last forever. Keep an extra can of bedliner spray for touch ups.

Did exactly this method on mine... Perfect!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom