Why not metal fenders?

KernHydro

I'm at the end of purchasing all the gear for my build and debating cutting my flares or getting some metal ones. so what's the pro and cons besides the cost?

StrizzyChris

If u use metal fenders then ur concern would be if it hits a rock, will it then push into and damage the tub. Plastic provides no protection but also will give if impact is made with a tree/rock/etc. Some brands use a quarter panel armor to mount their tube fenders to and im sure these would be much safer to prevent this.....but is it worth the cash?

KernHydro

It's time I don't have right now a got trip coming up in 11 days and I'm stock. I have a bunch of stuff getting installed next week but I want the fenders on so the coil over can get set right.. I wonder how long it takes to cut them? I also think it won't come out right.

RDE2ROK

I have seen the plastic fenders ( Bushwacker, Zenon) cave in the rear quarter panel before they came off.:naw: I have the PS steel fenders and though the front ones are very strong I have pushed on my rear enough to push in the quarter panel a bit.:doh: The steel fender/skin combo would be the strongest. The trimmed stock fenders come off easily just breaking the clips. I think it just depends on what kind of wheelin you are gunna do and how aggressive you are gunna do it.:idontknow::twocents:

GCM 2

Ongoing debate

There is an ongoing struggle over which is best and personally, I have never been able to decide. I have seen and or experienced first hand damage and survival with both metal and plastic. Other than the factor of cost, the benefits and downfalls of why run flare "X" or why not to run flare "X" hold the same argument much of the time. For me it comes down to looks, yes vanity :( I will say that if you have the stock flares to try the Project JK write up On cutting them and follow Wayolife's instructions to the letter. This is absolutely free, other than your time and effort, but you may find that it's what satisfies your need. Personally, I love Eddie and Cindy's flares on Moby and RubiCat. I also think the lines of Poison Spyder Customs Crusher Flares are the sweetest looking metal flares available, but they are expensive!

MTG

Caught the Bug
KernHydro said:
It's time I don't have right now a got trip coming up in 11 days and I'm stock. I have a bunch of stuff getting installed next week but I want the fenders on so the coil over can get set right.. I wonder how long it takes to cut them? I also think it won't come out right.

Easy. Seems harder than it is. Doesn't take very long...few hours maybe. I just did mine this week. Used a dremel with fiber reinforced cutting wheel. Nothing to lose.

Good luck.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I use to run a steel fender by an unnamed vendor, It bolted in the factory locations. It caved in the side of our two door really easy. Luckily it pulled out.

I would never run steal or aluminum unless it's full armorer

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I've seen people push in the body panels when hitting a set of metal flares on rocks or trees. I git lucky when i hit my rear bushwacker flat flare, ut just popped off. I'm a huge fan of the Evo armor/front flares like Greg just had installed. I LOVE how those look and their proven tuff from use on Evo 1. I don't think Evo makes them anymore, but I'll have to see if I can get Mel to custom build me set when I'm ready.

KernHydro

I bought all the stuff i need already i guess ill try to cut them on sunday with a birthday hangover:honey: just got to find someone with a dremel.

GCM 2

PHP:
I bought all the stuff i need already i guess ill try to cut them on sunday with a birthday hangover:honey: just got to find someone with a dremel.

Happy birthday! Your cuts and finished lines will be even more under scrutiny from us now. Good luck with the hangover :icon_crazy:

GCM 2

I use to run a steel fender by anarmorer[/QUOTE, It bolted in the factory locations. It caved in the side of our two door really easy. Luckily it pulled out.

I would never run steal or aluminum unless it's full armorer

I'm a huge fan of the Evo armor/front flares like Greg just had installed. I LOVE how those look and their proven tuff from use on Evo 1. I don't think Evo makes them anymore, but I'll have to see if I can get Mel to custom build me set when I'm ready.

I am very lucky to have had Mel offer those flares up to me, and because they are full quarter armor I should be just fine. I'm sure EVO mfg will build anything if the price is right, but who knows???

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
GCM 2 said:
There is an ongoing struggle over which is best and personally, I have never been able to decide. I have seen and or experienced first hand damage and survival with both metal and plastic. Other than the factor of cost, the benefits and downfalls of why run flare "X" or why not to run flare "X" hold the same argument much of the time. For me it comes down to looks, yes vanity :( I will say that if you have the stock flares to try the Project JK write up On cutting them and follow Wayolife's instructions to the letter. This is absolutely free, other than your time and effort, but you may find that it's what satisfies your need. Personally, I love Eddie and Cindy's flares on Moby and RubiCat. I also think the lines of Poison Spyder Customs Crusher Flares are the sweetest looking metal flares available, but they are expensive!

I have to agree with you on this. I know the downfall of steel flares, but I very much prefer the looks. When it comes time in my build, I will spend the money for aftermarket flares and take the risk on the trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
without question, steel or aluminum fenders look awesome. as mentioned, the problem with them is that they WILL do body to your body when hit on the trail. i have seen it happen time and time again and even with hard plastic xenon fenders. unless they are an integrated part of a body armor system, there's really no getting around it - well, that or just make sure to never hit them.

for me, i run trimmed factory flares because not hitting my fenders from time to time is simply not possible. i have smashed, folded and tore them off multiple times and, without ever doing body damage. they are FREE, cheap to replace and more times than not, FREE to replace and, in my opinion, can be made to look just as good if not better than an aftermarket flare. but of course, that's just my opinion :yup:

Top Bottom