North East Great Salt Corrosion of '14

MICP3309

Hey guys,

More specifically, to the North East guys n gals... (since you lucky devils in the South-West have 1-great wheeling in your back yard, and 2- no salt thrown on roads in the amount close to sand in the desert!) This year was brutal on my undercarriage :brows: :cheesy: The last mod I did before winter was the sleeves and gussets, they were given a good paint job after welding, and now have rust at the welds. (ill get pics up in a bit) And there's generally a good deal of rust under there now. I am gonna get underneath and clean it up this week...

So the question, any recommendations on a paint to use. Originally I had gotten underneath with POR 15, after cleaning it all up, but that didn't last too long. Would a spray bed liner be better?

Thanks for the insight !

noroad

Hey guys,

More specifically, to the North East guys n gals... (since you lucky devils in the South-West have 1-great wheeling in your back yard, and 2- no salt thrown on roads in the amount close to sand in the desert!) This year was brutal on my undercarriage :brows: :cheesy: The last mod I did before winter was the sleeves and gussets, they were given a good paint job after welding, and now have rust at the welds. (ill get pics up in a bit) And there's generally a good deal of rust under there now. I am gonna get underneath and clean it up this week...

So the question, any recommendations on a paint to use. Originally I had gotten underneath with POR 15, after cleaning it all up, but that didn't last too long. Would a spray bed liner be better?

Thanks for the insight !

This is normal for use up here, i do it every spring as in a new paint job to the underneath stuff! i use rustoleum primer and then black paint i dont no if i would paint the axles with bed liner might make them run a little hot!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i dont no if i would paint the axles with bed liner might make them run a little hot!

i agree with this. i would just get a can of high temp body and roll bar paint from VHT. its what i use on a lot of my stuff i paint.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
POR-15 need rust in order to work. If you cleaned everything up too good (I know it doesn't make sense) that's probably why it didn't work.

Chevy Dave

I live in Wisconsin which is one of the saltiest states in winter. I have tried everything from bedliner to undercoating to chasis saver and por15. Now all i do is buy the rustolem rust conditioner in the rattle can. It goes on black and functions as a primer on bare steel or you can leave it uncoated on rusty spots. $7 for a can and a half hour under my rig each spring. Makes everything black again. If you dive in salt there is no way to stop or prevent rust underneath but stuff like this at least slows it down and pretties it up. You can also go to ace hardware and get ospho which is a chemical you use a pump sprayer to apply then when the rust turns white you wash it off with water. After that I have used valspar tractor and implement primer and black paint. Honestly though, the $7 can of rustoleum rust converter paint works just as well and is a one step process

MICP3309

POR-15 need rust in order to work. If you cleaned everything up too good (I know it doesn't make sense) that's probably why it didn't work.

Ahh this I did not know.. seeing as how they have a whole kit that includes metal cleaner:thinking:.

And thanks to you guys as well, so looks like it will be some alone time for me and the Jeep :friends: every spring! with some Rustoleum.

In the long run, doing this each year will "save" me from BIG rust underneath right?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is normal for use up here, i do it every spring as in a new paint job to the underneath stuff! i use rustoleum primer and then black paint i dont no if i would paint the axles with bed liner might make them run a little hot!

I can't imagine Bedliner would change how hot the axles are. The front would just be the diff since there is nothing in the tubes anyway. But I can't see Bedliner trapping anymore heat.

Top Bottom