To spool or not to spool.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'm debating on whether or not I want to spool my rear axle. I know the down sides to the spools. Constant wheel hopping in the corners sped up tire wear due to wheel hopping more difficult turning. What are the things I'm missing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
if you plan to run in straight lines and fast, spool it!

if you plan to wheel it where you're in tight turns and maneuvering around obstacles- not such a good idea :twocents:

Armydog

I'm debating on whether or not I want to spool my rear axle. I know the down sides to the spools. Constant wheel hopping in the corners sped up tire wear due to wheel hopping more difficult turning. What are the things I'm missing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

?? Why would anyone do this?? posi-traction all the time?? thinking........ doesn't make sense or am I missing something?

Jkjamesdawson

Usually it's a budget thing too. Guys want the extra traction but can't afford a selectable locker and decide to live with the downsides. I welded the rear diff in my first two 4x4's and they were my daily drivers. It's was a $50 solution at a time when I didn't have extra cash for my rig. Things are much different for me now but not everyone is working with the same budget. If your broke, spool it and just get used to the dirty looks you will get in parking lots.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Usually it's a budget thing too. Guys want the extra traction but can't afford a selectable locker and decide to live with the downsides. I welded the rear diff in my first two 4x4's and they were my daily drivers. It's was a $50 solution at a time when I didn't have extra cash for my rig. Things are much different for me now but not everyone is working with the same budget. If your broke, spool it and just get used to the dirty looks you will get in parking lots.

Or just run with an open diff until you can afford a selectable locker.

Mikes Offroad

Ran a spool in my old 74 CJ5 DD, at the time could not afford a selectable locker. It was a little wild to drive but she went damn near everywhere I pointed it. One draw back was driving it in the winter Ice and spools do not get along.

Last edited:

Devallee

Some info on where you wheel could help. I would say if it's strictly a trail rig that you wheel on wider trails/open terrain than I would do it. If you're on tight trails where turn radius is important than I would not. Also it's DD manners wouldn't be worth it to me. If it's a DD, just run the open diff until you can afford a selectable locker

Top Bottom