Left rear axle shaft seal

Tcdawg

JK's JK said:
That's a good write up on how to replace an already set up axle shaft. It doesn't tell you how to replace a seal on a rear axle shaft.

In a nutshell
Pull the axle shaft

Cut off the bearing retainer

Press off or more likely cut off the bearing

Pull off the seal

Install the new seal

Press on a new bearing

Press on a new bearing retainer

Reinstall the axle shaft

Last edited:

Bigbores

Exactly as above with the extra caution not to damage the seal surface of the axle. Die grinder with a cut off wheel thinner the better. A chisel to crack the retainer after cutting deep as possible without touching axle.
Repeat with bearing. Then instal new bearing with long pipe and hammer
Placing pipe on inside bearing race. This is a way if you don't have a splitter and a press.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
That's a good write up on how to replace an already set up axle shaft. It doesn't tell you how to replace a seal on a rear axle shaft.

In a nutshell
Pull the axle shaft

Cut off the bearing retainer

Press off or more likely cut off the bearing

Pull off the seal

Install the new seal

Press on a new bearing

Press on a new bearing retainer

Reinstall the axle shaft

Ok thanks guys. I actually meant the seal. So this is a big help. Do I need a slide hammer to pull the shaft?

xflstl

Ok thanks guys. I actually meant the seal. So this is a big help. Do I need a slide hammer to pull the shaft?

You can reverse the rotor loosely bolt it back on, works great as a shade tree slide hammer.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Tcdawg

JeepinLife said:
And how are you pressing on the new bearing?

Use a real press that you or a friend may have. You have much more of a chance of damaging the bearings if you use a pipe and hammer them on.

Some NAPA stores have machine ships that will press in bearings for you as well.

hoveyjk08

Check harborfreight I got a 20 ton press for less than 200 bones. I've done u joints and both rear seals. Worth the investment

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Still have to change the seal. On a 3 week work trip. Why do you have to replace the bearing and retainer when you just need a new seal?

Tcdawg

JeepinLife said:
Still have to change the seal. On a 3 week work trip. Why do you have to replace the bearing and retainer when you just need a new seal?
The seal is behind the bearing and bearing retainer. You have to remove the bearing and retainer to put a new seal on as they are pressed on. I suppose if you tried hard enough you might be able to press them off but I still think you would damage them. I have always seen them cut off and have cut them off as well

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
The seal is behind the bearing and bearing retainer. You have to remove the bearing and retainer to put a new seal on as they are pressed on. I suppose if you tried hard enough you might be able to press them off but I still think you would damage them. I have always seen them cut off and have cut them off as well

So how does the bearing get fluid to it?

Tcdawg

JeepinLife said:
So how does the bearing get fluid to it?

The bearing is on the inside of the seal. The seal and then the retainer are are the outer most pieces of the axle assembly.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Question.. I changed the fluid in rear end. Old stuff had water it in. Cleaned it out really well, sealed her up nice and put new fluid in, now that axel seal isn't leaking. Sound normal?

Bsdtool

Need help!

I paid a guy to replace my left rear axle bearing and I believe he tried to hammer it on rather than press it because it backed off and broke causing my brake pad housing to be pressed against my rotor and damaging my rotor so bad that I had to replace it. I bought a new bearing kit and took it to a shop and pressed it. After reinstalling everything and driving it ten miles the bearing must have backed off again because the brake pad housing began rubbing against the new rotor again. I have a 2007 jku x. Originally the seal was bad that's why he replaced the axle bearing and seal. But after I went back and pressed a new bearing on correctly I had the same problem with it backing off and the axle pressing outward causing the brake pad housing to rub the rotor. I never had this problem before he "worked" on it. What can be causing it?? I don't believe the axle is warped because it drives smooth until the bearing backs off. Please help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I paid a guy to replace my left rear axle bearing and I believe he tried to hammer it on rather than press it because it backed off and broke causing my brake pad housing to be pressed against my rotor and damaging my rotor so bad that I had to replace it. I bought a new bearing kit and took it to a shop and pressed it. After reinstalling everything and driving it ten miles the bearing must have backed off again because the brake pad housing began rubbing against the new rotor again. I have a 2007 jku x. Originally the seal was bad that's why he replaced the axle bearing and seal. But after I went back and pressed a new bearing on correctly I had the same problem with it backing off and the axle pressing outward causing the brake pad housing to rub the rotor. I never had this problem before he "worked" on it. What can be causing it?? I don't believe the axle is warped because it drives smooth until the bearing backs off. Please help!

Are you saying that the 4 nuts are securely fastened but your axle is still floating out? If so, are you sure you got everything pressed on and in the proper order?

Tcdawg

Bsdtool said:

What exactly do you mean when you say the rear bearing "backed out ".

I can how someone may have incorrectly seated the bearing but I can't figure out how it would back out? The entire rear axle shaft assembly is bolted to the housing. If it runs smooth and gear oil is not leaking out from the seal I can't figure out what is happening.

Did you re-install the axle shaft or did he?

Bsdtool

Re:

He originally installed the bearing and then installed the axle. The bearing broke within the first day of driving it. It caused the axle to slide out and press my brake pad housing against my rotor. I replaced the rotor and then went to a shop and had a new bearing pressed on. I then installed the axle shaft and re attached everything. Everything was installed correctly the second time but somehow the axle slid out again and pressed my brake pad housing against my rotor again. I do t understand why it keeps sliding out. I haven't took the axle off to see if the bearing broke again. I'm just assuming that's what happened because that's what caused the axle to slide out the first time. I'm going to dig into this week. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what's going wrong.

Tcdawg

He originally installed the bearing and then installed the axle. The bearing broke within the first day of driving it. It caused the axle to slide out and press my brake pad housing against my rotor. I replaced the rotor and then went to a shop and had a new bearing pressed on. I then installed the axle shaft and re attached everything. Everything was installed correctly the second time but somehow the axle slid out again and pressed my brake pad housing against my rotor again. I do t understand why it keeps sliding out. I haven't took the axle off to see if the bearing broke again. I'm just assuming that's what happened because that's what caused the axle to slide out the first time. I'm going to dig into this week. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what's going wrong.

I am at a loss as to how your rear axle shaft can slide out, there is a retainer plate with four bolts in it that keeps it attached to the axle tube. Got any pictures?

Top Bottom