TJ rear seat facing backwards

raif281

looking to do this in my 01 tj Sahara wrangler, heard I would have to get some 03+ rear seat brackets that don't bolt on the fender but onto the floor. anybody have any experience or anything with this? as far as seatbelts I'm not worried this would be used by me an occasionally a woman companion ;) lol. I'd use it when I go fishing, or sitting by the river wit my friends who all sit on their tailgates, an possibly by a fire during the summer just as a seat. I've done some research but can't really find to much, I see a lot of posts about it on mostly Jk's. the few I saw on tj's were just posts saying they'd think it would be cool then abunch of talk about how cool it would be but nothing actually about actually doing it, so anything help would be really appreciated.

rubiRI77

I have my stock rear seat facing backwards in the summer for the same reasons, hanging out, giving buddies light trail rides with easy in/out, a place to sit if it rains, etc.

Anyway - I have a 1999, and I removed all the stock hardware from the fenders, floor, etc. I then was looking at how to get the seat in there backwards. Well I layed it in there to measure for brackets to be made, etc. and to my surprise it sat in there nice!!! It sits on the "cutout" portion of the rear fenders (don't know how else to describe it) I then made a wood support from a 2x6, and I believe it was a 1x6 screwed together and laying just on their face for extra support just placed on the floor. I then painted it black, and it disappears(cut long so I have to jam it in there) for the front of the seat to sit on. I then use bungee cords going from the stock hardware still attached to the rear seat to the front seat frames so it can't go anywhere ( i may use rachet straps this year though as it does bounce a little over bumps when empty)

Overall, it works just fine! I can have two people back there no problem. I have grab handles for them to hold on attached to the rollbar. Just have to fold your legs up to close the rear door, but overall it works awesome! :thumb:

I know some will say just leave the stock one in facing forward, but for hanging out/tailgating, etc. this way is much better!

I ABSOLUTELY would NOT recommend this for driving on roads because obviously you now have no seatbelts, and the seat is really not attached to anything. But for easy trail rides, etc. it works pretty slick. At least for me. I will not be held responsible for any injuries caused by following my not well thought out plans! :D:bleh:;)

Top Bottom