Or-Fab 3rd breaklight kit

RioJK

I am purchasing the tire carrier with rotopax and not sure if I should also get the 3rd breaklight kit.... Plan to run 35s. I live in CA where I assume 3rd breaklight is not an option. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

kevinp

If you have the extra money, do it. I took a stock tire carrier, a hack saw and a couple of U bolts and made one. It works, but looks ghetto on closer inspection.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

suicideking

Sure, it's illegal to drive without the third break light. I've never heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for it. I haven't had a third brake light for over 6 months now.

If you did get a ticket, it would just be a fix-it ticket anyway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sure, it's illegal to drive without the third break light. I've never heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for it. I haven't had a third brake light for over 6 months now.

If you did get a ticket, it would just be a fix-it ticket anyway.

It's not illegal it's just frowned upon. Like masterbating on an airplane.

RioJK

The education on this site is truly amazing! Thanks for the responses.... I think.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
in PA i have been without a 3rd brake light for almost a year now. i have a 3rd brake light lug nut kit that im going to jerry rig for when inspection time comes. otherwise for daily driving i have been fine

suicideking

in PA i have been without a 3rd brake light for almost a year now. i have a 3rd brake light lug nut kit that im going to jerry rig for when inspection time comes. otherwise for daily driving i have been fine

You have inspections in PA? How often do you have to get it done?

No inspections in CA.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Oh, ok. We have smog (emissions) checks every few years, but they don't check anything else.

thats nice you dont have the rest of the crap i have. i couldnt get my vehicle inspection done once because i had a small chip in the windshield. they said it was in my line of site. the chip was there for 6+ years and was down int he bottom left right above where the inspection stickers go lol

suicideking

thats nice you dont have the rest of the crap i have. i couldnt get my vehicle inspection done once because i had a small chip in the windshield. they said it was in my line of site. the chip was there for 6+ years and was down int he bottom left right above where the inspection stickers go lol

Yeah, sounds like typical DMV crap! :doh:

Always a nightmare dealing with them. When I got my Jeep, they screwed up my license plate with someone else. I got a red light camera ticket -- Some guy driving a Ford Focus and they had our plates mixed up in the system. It was a pain in the ass to clear up. Police were cool about it. I talked to a cop on the phone -- 'yeah, that white Focus doesn't look like a Black Jeep at all...'

kevinp

I'm not trying to be the "one-up" guy, but do a search for Hawaii Recon Inspection. You talk about a nut roll. Just a couple of examples, I had to scrape off my WAYALIFE sticker because it was about 1mm down into the windshield and I had to put a giant amber sticker reflector under the fender because the dude couldn't read "DOT" on the light I had mounted. And that is the inspection I have to do BEFORE the safety inspection. You ready for this? Technically, when I buy different tires, I'll have to do it again if I go from 315/70-17 to 35/12.5-17, even though they are essentially the same size.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I run the oro kit or whatever it is, and have been very happy but its also my license plate light. I can say if the lady in from of me the other day who had no working tail lights, but a dim 3rd brake light.....yeah her car would have been totaled if I didn't notice the light she did have.

Top Bottom