Stay away from high mileage Jks?

LetsGoMuddin

Hi everyone, I have another question about buying a used Jeep Jk. I'm looking for something relatively cheap that may be I can do some work on. I found a '08 Jk auto, 6 cylinder, with 226,000 miles (highway miles the listing says). Should I stay away from something like this with the high mileage if the frame has rot or has oil leaks? Would it be something that could use an engine swap? Thanks for the help! :thumb:

2trackin

If it was never modded. Stock size tires the works etc. Along with all maintenance paperwork. I'd entertain the idea, given it was priced at a point where rebuilding the engine and trans in the near future wouldn't make the purchase cost prohibitive

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I would do it. Its easy to find used motors with low miles for 1k or less. Of course depends on price.
Be a great builder rig.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Easy if it is pulled behind an RV. A buddy at work has a YJ still stock and another has an 11 JKUS still stock with 80,000 miles.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Your mileage doesn't increase when being towed behind and RV. The engine isn't on.

Rccrwlr

Your mileage doesn't increase when being towed behind and RV. The engine isn't on.

And the miles come off when you go in reverse

"One only needs to follow those that have been there/done that to learn how to do things proper the first time" BCH

StrizzyChris

Is it dirt cheap and do you have plans/finances to do a possible motor swap down the road? If yes to those two, then have at it! Jeeps don't have the best track record for high milage engine reliability...its not a camery or civic after all! I would be having second thoughts if the Jeep were over 150K unless the answer to the above question were yes.

StrizzyChris

Holy shit 226,000 miles! :eek:

I always think of Jeep mileage like this....

226,000 miles/18(average mpg on a stock JK)=12555.6

12555.6gallons X $3.75 average fuel cost over that span= $47083.5 in fuel!!!! :eek:

When's that all electric Wrangler coming out again :thinking::idontknow:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Most likely the mileage is all highway. My buddy has a Grand Am he bought in early '07 with 60,000 miles on it. He drives roughly 150 miles a day from home to St. Louis and back. Now he's got about 280,000 miles on it. Has it's leaks, but still runs ok. I'd say if the JK was stock and just a pavement pounder, you'd be ok. Just keep it in the back of your mind, it may nickel and dime you during your ownership with minor repairs needing to be done.

JKVADER

Are you going to have the time to fix it if the engine or something does go out?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom