Help with oil

Brankz

Question I need help, I been using 5/20 full synthetic oil on my rig but some one told me to use 5/30 because I have 55k on my rig.
What oil do you use? Thanks

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I would stay with the manufacture recommendations.
Mobil one full synthetic 5.30w 3.6L

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

MTNBKR

I have an 08 with a 3.8. Switched from 5w20 to 10w30 because of using oil, still uses about 1.5 qts per change. Backing down to 5w30 on this change to see if same amt is used. Have 90k on the engine. I have also changed out the PCV as well. Hopefully this is just the normal usage now that I have tis many miles on it. Started using around 68k Use only synthetic oil.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2010 and switched from 5w20 because I started seeing oil consumption - not at the 1 qt/1000 mile but more than I've had in the past.

Mobile1 5w30 synth has me about 1/2-1 qt every 3000 miles

srosario

Ok so I change the oil 3000 miles ago, and check the oil and I needed almost 4 quarts, holy smokes that's a lot. I probably would have blown that engine if I didn't check it.

2008 here, dealer rebuilt my 3.8L (under warranty) at 65,000km due to oil consumption at a rate of 0.45 litres per 700km of driving.

New bearings, pistons, valve guides, cylinders honed and heads lapped.

Once break in was completed did not burn a drop. At 90,000km it settled into consuming about 0.800 litres over 5,000km on regular 5w20

Since I have switched over to 5w30 regular what ever brand is on sale. I'm now at 167,000km and change the oil every 5,000km oil use is a very consistent 0.600 to 0.750 liters over that 5,000 km interval.

There's been a PCV or two changed in there.

jknikos

OP you are burning a lot of oil. I run 5w30 full synthetic, my engine has 90000 miles and burns a lot less. But i hanent tried 5w20 as jeep reccomends yet so i cannot have a n opinion on that.

ScottMc

Below is from the 2015 manual. Interesting note at the bottom:

Engine Oil Viscosity — 3.6L Engine

MOPAR® SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to Chrysler
Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell
Helix® or equivalent is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
illustration in this section.

NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®,
Shell Helix® or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20
engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

Top Bottom