Sport cages - Rock Hard, PSC, ORFAB

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm in the market for some roll over protection. While a full on weld in cage like Evo 1 has would be nice, a sport cage is more practical and in my budget. I'm looking at the Rock Hard w/ floor tie ins, the Or Fab w/ floor tie ins, and the PSC, in that order. I've seen the Rock Hard in person in a few JKs and love the design and function. I haven't seen the Or Fab but I've read a few write ups and it seems like a quality cage. The PSC Ive read of numerous issue with fitment. The biggest being the windshield, and the fact that when you go to latch the soft top latches, it actually pulls the windshield back because it does not have any way of being connected to the cage, so it basically floats there on the bolts at the base of the windshield frame and you get massive wind noise and water leaks. Does anyone have any experience with that? While I know there are 3 cages ive mentioned and prob 10 recommendations, what is everyone's experience with these three cages? Thanks for any help and info.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have personally installed and run both the Rock Hard and OR-Fab cages and, while the later does have a more complete and finished look, the Rock Hard cage was much easier to install and, it's the only one I have seen actually get rolled on multiple times and proven itself to be more than strong enough for the job. While I have not run a PSC, I have seen the fitment issued you are talking about and also heard them squeak to no end because of it. I would definitely not recommend it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'll let you know about rockhard in a week or so, as that's what I am putting in my '12. :).

I've seen the OR-fab one in person and it's nice. Sharkey had one in his JKU, maybe he'll chime in.

No experience with PS.

BONDSY

I have the or-fab cage with the floor tie-in's and rear streamer bar. It seems like a good quality cage like you said. The install is pretty time consuming, but worth it. I installed the cage myself with the help from a friend. Though it is not a weld in, competition worthy cage, i'm pretty confident it would hold up well if I were to flop over. Much stronger than the factory set-up.
That said, the rockhard cage would of been second pick. The tube clamps they use are pretty cool looking. But I think it comes un-painted. They do have a lot of cool extras you can add. Good luck with you selection.

EDIT: My or-fab cage squeaks a little on rougher trails.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about the Smittybilt sport cages?

there are some things i might trust to a transamerica product but, a sport cage isn't one of them. when it comes to safety, i'll put my trust in products made in america. of course, that's just me.

Sahara707

I put in the Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage and the Floor Mounts with the rear angle bars and rear straight across bar. Speaker Bar was notched to fit. Install wasn't a walk in the park, but we got it done. I had to use a 3" ratchet strap to pull the windshield bars over to fasten. The windshield header needed to be notched to make it sit flat. I don't have a soft top, just a full bimini top. I hope I never have to test it, but it seems ROCK SOLID. looks good too!

Attachments

• image-2101871582.jpg
    image-2101871582.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3777876601.jpg
    image-3777876601.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image-42956916.jpg
    image-42956916.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1085758021.jpg
    image-1085758021.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 141

MTG

Caught the Bug
BONDSY said:
But I think it comes un-painted.

It does. I'm planning to paint mine to match the white except for the lower dash piece which I'll do flat black to avoid glare.

On a side note, and not to hijack, anyone install c pillar supports with a Tuffy security deck?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am still leaning towards the RH cage. I live about 15 min from Or Fab's facility so I might head over there and check out their cage in person. I looked on Northridge 4x4 and only saw the front section and the rear center bars for the 4 door cage. Are those rear angled bars for the 4 door? I'm looking at the c pillar kit from PSC as well to reinforce the rear as well.

I went with the psc cage. I would not recommend it. I ran into a ton of problems with the cage, from them sending me bolts that were not he same thread as the cage, to sending 1/2 bolts and they only drilled the holes to 3/8. Then all the trimming on the plastics. I deff do not recommend. I'm looking as wielding the original supports to the psc cage to help with the windshield problem.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Notajerryskid said:
I went with the psc cage. I would not recommend it. I ran into a ton of problems with the cage, from them sending me bolts that were not he same thread as the cage, to sending 1/2 bolts and they only drilled the holes to 3/8. Then all the trimming on the plastics. I deff do not recommend. I'm looking as wielding the original supports to the psc cage to help with the windshield problem.

The general consensus seems to be this cage is far from being ready for public release and needs some more time in quality control and design being tweaked. I've seen two other people weld the original wind shield supports on and it fixed the issue, but had the exact same issues you had .

RDE2ROK

I have the OR-FAB cage. I ordered it raw and had it powdercoated to match the jeep.:thumb:It does bolt to the top of the windshield frame. So far no squeeks!:clap2: Highoctane, If you are going to go by OR-FAB let me know, I will make a call for you. They don't sell from their shop.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2377.JPG
    IMG_2377.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 108

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I'm still trying to figure out my cage route like the OP... I keep flip flopping on going with a sport cage + additional tubing / custom fab or just a plain Sport Cage.

I've heard people say that these sport cages are plenty strong or would easily survive a flop. You guys that have these guys installed, do you think these cages would survive a rollover on the freeway on your way to the trail? I'm not so concerned about flopping it on the trail, I have confidence these would survive most flops, I'm concerned about rolling it on the Freeway in route to a trail.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still trying to figure out my cage route like the OP... I keep flip flopping on going with a sport cage + additional tubing / custom fab or just a plain Sport Cage.

I've heard people say that these sport cages are plenty strong or would easily survive a flop. You guys that have these guys installed, do you think these cages would survive a rollover on the freeway on your way to the trail? I'm not so concerned about flopping it on the trail, I have confidence these would survive most flops, I'm concerned about rolling it on the Freeway in route to a trail.

i have seen a 4-door JK after it rolled completely over 3 times hard and then landed back on all 4 out in johnson valley. the jk was totalled but the RH cage looked virtually intact and the occupants walked away from it without any harm. i don't even think it had floor mounts.

Top Bottom