Brake Line Question?

So this morning I noticed a slight oil spot under the drivers side rear brake line. After further investigation it looks like there is brake fluid in the plastic coating around the stainless steel braided line. I replaced the stock brake lines with Crown Performance 4-5 inch stainless steel black brake lines. Only off roading was last weekend in Hard Rock. I do not believe the brakes lines were stretched because I only have a 3 inch lift and the brake lines are for a 4-5 inch lift. I have called the place where I ordered it and they have made a warranty claim with Crown performance, however will no know anything until Monday. Canvas is down until a new brake line is installed. Lesson learned do not dispose of factory parts. :doh: Hopefully I can get a new brake line fast. Jeep Beach is only two weeks away.

Has anyone ever seen this?

R/
Will

JKTHOMPSON

That is not good. Hope you get up and running. I have stock brake lines I would give you if you were close. Good luck!

jeeeep

Hooked
you're positive it's not leaking from the fittings and seeping into the lining?

I'd loosen the fittings and reconnect

you're positive it's not leaking from the fittings and seeping into the lining?

I'd loosen the fittings and reconnect

Have not tried that yet. Will tackle it later on in the day. Currently trying to work on a school paper.:mad:

I did do a quick look and the fitting is dry. As a side note I am a hydraulic mechanic for the US Navy. I have seen this on aircraft and it tends to be an internal line failure. I will check the fittings again just to make sure. Thanks for out of the box thinking Jeeeep.

Last edited:
A quarter turn? You are using an inch pound torque wrench right? If you don't you can crush the crush washers too much and it will leak.

It was the top b nut going into the brake line. I did torque the lower banjo nuts going into the brake. I do not have an inch lbs torque wrench had to convert the 276 inlbs to ftlbs which is 23 ftlbs.

Tightened upper b nut to a sharp risen in torque then one side if the 6 sided b nut. Works in $20 million helicopters.

R/
Will

JKbrick

Tightened upper b nut to a sharp risen in torque then one side if the 6 sided b nut. Works in $20 million helicopters.

R/
Will

Not to be dumb or a smartass but what does that mean? I am going to put lines on mine and just wondered

Not to be dumb or a smartass but what does that mean? I am going to put lines on mine and just wondered

I am a hydraulic mechanic for the US Navy and not b nuts or the nuts that have holes in them where the rigid brake line goes through does not have a torque value. So standard operating procedure (SOP) is to tighten until you feel it get tight then continue one castlation or one flat spot.

R/
Will

JKbrick

I am a hydraulic mechanic for the US Navy and not b nuts or the nuts that have holes in them where the rigid brake line goes through does not have a torque value. So standard operating procedure (SOP) is to tighten until you feel it get tight then continue one castlation or one flat spot.

R/
Will

Thank you for the info

Top Bottom