Grind in reverse

Sugarbear

My 2014 I park it then next day I come out push the clutch to floor stick it in reverse and it grinds then pops in to gear anyone else have this problem I only have 5k on it

This might sound stupid as hell and I can't remember the logic behind it, but I was always taught to put it in first gear before going to reverse. Something to do with the syncros in the tranny, but for some weird reason it works.

davantalus

2013 manual... I got this the first time at about the same milage.

FWIW, I have to really be sure I've *put* it in Reverse with a nice "chunk". Sometimes you'll think you have but it's only partially engaged (at least that's my interpretation of what you felt). At 36k miles I've been putting it in Reverse twice or three times as an OCD tick.

Sucks that it lost my trust, but we have an understanding now. :rolleyes2:

This has nothing to do with your post, but I figured I'd mention it. I had trouble stalling Reverse for months because I didn't understand the gearing. Turns out Reverse isn't the lowest gear. The ratio of Reverse actually falls between First and Second. So now I treat it more like 2nd gear, I find myself in better stead.

Last edited:

Chevy Dave

My 2014 does the same. Push the clutch to the floor and drop it in reverse and it makes a slamming/grinding combined noise. Not all the time but now I make sure to press the clutch a couple times to make sure it disengages then slowly feel it into reverse.
Every other standard I have owned has been a GM five speed and those have a reverse lockout where you have to go from 5th reverse but as far as I know the JK has no reverse lockout. It should go right in and I have no idea why ours don't all time

My 2014 I park it then next day I come out push the clutch to floor stick it in reverse and it grinds then pops in to gear anyone else have this problem I only have 5k on it

Sometimes when I put mine in reverse when it's cold it won't go all the way in and if I let the clutch out it grinds, I found that if I keep the pressure on the shifter knob and slowly let the clutch out that it will finally go all the way in gear.

Top Bottom