CB Install Help

cddye

Hey folks-

Looking at installing a CB soon for use on-trail, and I was wondering if anyone had answers for a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone done an overhead mount (like above the rear view mirror) without a sport cage? Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

2. How much coax will I need? If I put it in the center of the dash (like in Eddie's write-up of the Cobra 29 install) or overhead would 18' leave me enough room to reach an antenna on the spare tire mount? I'm in a '14 JKU.

I used the KC light mount for my CB on my OR Fab sport cage.

Picture is not posting but will try later

Yes an 18' coax will work if you route it up the roll cage.

R/
Will

NV375

I saw a thread with some rubber lined metal wire clamps and Velcro holding a small radio Uniden 510 or 520 size to the loop and trim above the mirror. I plan to try this with my 510 about the size of an 8track tape if anyone remembers them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I used the KC light mount for my CB on my OR Fab sport cage.

Picture is not posting but will try later

Yes an 18' coax will work if you route it up the roll cage.

R/
Will

He said without a sport cage.

Strike force zebra makes a mount to go above the rear view and is what I am running right now. I made my own mount first but then got that mount. I think it's like $20 or something like that.

He said without a sport cage.

Strike force zebra makes a mount to go above the rear view and is what I am running right now. I made my own mount first but then got that mount. I think it's like $20 or something like that.

Ok so I cannot read. I went to California public schools.

cddye

Really appreciate all of the replies so far. I think I've talked myself into the Cobra 29 wx over the Uniden though because I think I'll actually use the weather channels. Given the size difference though, I lean more towards a dash-top mount. Will that same 18' of Coax still do the job? Has anyone else gone dash-top in a post-2011 interior? Pictures very much appreciated.

Landman

FWIW I used the SFZ mount and a Cobra 29. It's tight but it works great. (Above the mirror mount)

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailless

Caught the Bug
You can get some parts from home depot and make a mount for ~$15.

I used 2 insulated 3/8" clamps. Two 3/4" L brackets and some nuts and bolts. I mounted the clamps on the middle footman loop. Then market a spot for a new hole on the mounting bracket that Cobra provided. Then it's pretty straightforward from there.

Mine doesn't shake at all and stays put. Even after a day of offroading.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Treyster

I used the quadratec bracket on the center console down next to the passenger seat with an 18' coax cable, spare tire mount ant. bracket and a 4' fire stick.

LOVE IT. I will post pics later

hydrohut

I run two radios and wanted them both up high. Mounted the little UHF radio using the two insulated bracket method which is so simple and tidy. The VHF is bigger and quite heavy. I made my own bar that mounts between the roll cage and uses a couple of holes already in the cage.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397523391.938263.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397523417.545709.jpg

trailless

Caught the Bug
I'm in the process of doing similar to what hydrohut mentioned and so far it has cost me $7

View attachment 78802

This is how I mounted mine. It doesn't shake at all, doesn't really get in the way of anything, and doesn't need repositioning. I've been on a few off road trips and I haven't had to tighten any of the nuts yet. For under $10 I think its worth a shot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom