What is up with my clutch/transmission(Video inside)

mattfl

Lately the past couple of days my clutch/transmission has sounded horrible. I have '12 JKU with 34k miles on it.

This is what it sounds like after starting up and sitting in neutral.

When I put the phone down flat is what it sounds like when I push the clutch in.

Could this be the throwout bearing I hear everyone talking about?

Nothing else has really changed, drives the same, same amount of clutch pedal play as there always has been. Just that horrible noise, doesn't go away after it warms up either.

I just did a transmission fluid change about 6k miles ago and the magnet didn't have any more than what normally should be there as far as metal shavings go.

Going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but thought I'd get some opinions here first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nWQXnlidxM

2trackin

Do you tend to hold the clutch down at stop lights and what not instead on just sitting in neutral? A throw out bearing under "normal" circumstances will generally last longer than the clutch itself. But like I said if you sit in traffic often with the he clutch depressed this could be a cause of early wear.
This being said I am at work and cannot listen to your video. I will check it out later on at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mattfl

Do you tend to hold the clutch down at stop lights and what not instead on just sitting in neutral? A throw out bearing under "normal" circumstances will generally last longer than the clutch itself. But like I said if you sit in traffic often with the he clutch depressed this could be a cause of early wear.
This being said I am at work and cannot listen to your video. I will check it out later on at home.

Nope. I've driven standards for a long time and know not to ride the clutch when not necessary.

Fruju

Two weeks ago I had my throw out bearing replaced, just after its 24k km service. Mine was producing the same noise when the pedal is depressed and also had a rattle but not as loud as yours. First started around the 10k km mark. Mentioned it at the 12k service but Dealer didn't think there was an issue.:naw:
Clutch is now quiet again after bearing replacement.
Yours may also include worn pressure plate levers/fingers.

mattfl

Two weeks ago I had my throw out bearing replaced, just after its 24k km service. Mine was producing the same noise when the pedal is depressed and also had a rattle but not as loud as yours. First started around the 10k km mark. Mentioned it at the 12k service but Dealer didn't think there was an issue.:naw:
Clutch is now quiet again after bearing replacement.
Yours may also include worn pressure plate levers/fingers.

I don't suppose that's covered under warranty was it?

2trackin

Did you by chance happen to clutch while going through mud or muddy water? This can allow for dirt and grit to get in the clutch assembly. Just another thought.

Fruju

I don't recall as I select a gear before entering the water and maintain it until after I exit. You try not to clutch in water as you don't want water/dirt between the clutch plate and fly wheel as it will cause slippage and can seize when vehicle is left to stand.
I believe mine was just dust and dirt that had entered naturally as there are two open vents at the upper rear of the bell housing. Where I have been offroading requires driving on a lot of dry and dusty roads.

My '13 JKU has already had the throw out bearings and input shaft bearings replaced twice, the shifter replaced, and the shift forks replaced all under warranty for similar issues. Less than 18,000 miles on it and I'm about to take it back in to have them look at it again. Really frustrating. I'd take it in if it's still under warranty.

mattfl

My '13 JKU has already had the throw out bearings and input shaft bearings replaced twice, the shifter replaced, and the shift forks replaced all under warranty for similar issues. Less than 18,000 miles on it and I'm about to take it back in to have them look at it again. Really frustrating. I'd take it in if it's still under warranty.

I think I'm still under the normal warranty but when I bought it they suckered me into an extended warranty thing so I think I'm covered. Couldn't take it in today, will try on thursday when I'm off.

had another friend listen to it and he's almost positive it's the throwout bearing

xtremefx4

I have a 2011 and at 62035 my throw out bearing blew apart. I had the ball bearings in the bottom of the bell housing. The stealership was going to charge 200 to look at it then he said if it was the clutch or throw out bearing it wouldn't be under warranty..
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a 2011 and at 62035 my throw out bearing blew apart. I had the ball bearings in the bottom of the bell housing. The stealership was going to charge 200 to look at it then he said if it was the clutch or throw out bearing it wouldn't be under warranty..

That's bull - maybe the stealership didn't give me any grief because of how new my Jeep is and how few miles are on it, but I've already had that bearing set replaced twice under warranty.

Depending how hard the install is I might just do it myself

I had my transmission out and rebuilt at 1800 miles due to improper 1-2 gear mesh and a bad synchronizer. My throwout bearing has been making noise since last summer and really started to rattle during our RC trip last weekend. I haven't decided what to do about it. I have trust issues with letting other people touch my Jeep... but it is under warranty.

I am likely to just fix it myself. I have a 2-post lift in my shop and a transmission jack so the job isn't that bad. I found a TSB on throughout bearings in the early JKs but nothing on the post 12'. (Mine is a 13'.) For some reason the bearing is far more expensive for the later models??? I know that many feel the stock bearing is crap, but I haven't found good evidence that any aftermarket ones are better....

xtremefx4

The stock one is made out of cast metal will rust over time if water get in there. I did the clutch when I had the trans out even tho it didn't need to be done.. I did the work in my garage with a floor jack and hand tools. I didn't have a air compressor at the time. It took about 6-7 hours to get it done..

I had my transmission out and rebuilt at 1800 miles due to improper 1-2 gear mesh and a bad synchronizer. My throwout bearing has been making noise since last summer and really started to rattle during our RC trip last weekend. I haven't decided what to do about it. I have trust issues with letting other people touch my Jeep... but it is under warranty.

I am likely to just fix it myself. I have a 2-post lift in my shop and a transmission jack so the job isn't that bad. I found a TSB on throughout bearings in the early JKs but nothing on the post 12'. (Mine is a 13'.) For some reason the bearing is far more expensive for the later models??? I know that many feel the stock bearing is crap, but I haven't found good evidence that any aftermarket ones are better....

http://www.carid.com/2007-jeep-wran...national-clutch-release-bearing-20923971.html

This will fit a 2007 to 2009, heard its better cast and the tolerances are a bit tighter to stop rattling from happening.

mattfl

Update!

Dealer just called and said yeah the throwout is bad. So they are going to replace that under warranty for me. Also said my clutch is 75% worn(with 36k miles on it I'm not so sure about that) and wanted almost $600 to replace that for me. Told him thanks but not right now. Me and my buddy will do that ourselves when the time comes and put in something better than the stock junk.

Top Bottom