Air Options for 37's

Did a search and got tired (lazy) of picking through the various threads on this.

Relates to 37's

I know the the guys with the air lockers probably just use the onboard compressor but for a interim solution what are your experiences with the portable compressors.

I understand that CO2 will do the trick and has it's advantages but how do they pan out on long trips that require airing up for an entire week? Maybe some Past JKX participants can chime in here.

I have a Smitty built 5.4 CFM pump as a interim and airs the stock tires in like 35 seconds from 18 to 35. Will this pump handle 37's in a reasonable time?

Thanks

pvanweelden

Will it handle 37's? Probably not very well. But if you're not in a hurry, you can wait for it to cool off after each tire.

CO2- once you are out. you're out.

Lunatic Fridge

I have a Viair 400p. It does ok on my 37x13.5's. I can do all 4 and a second set of 4 of something smaller without the compressor overheating. I haven't put a stopwatch to it yet to see a time but I go from 14-16 up to 34psi so I know its working for a bit. I can say for time its a can-o-coke-o'clock for airing up my tires. Yeah highly scientific I know.

When I finally do an OBA system I am tossing up between giving my portable to my girlfriend and getting an ARB twin for under the passenger seat or just getting a second one of what I have and converting the portable one over. Have to see what I decide to do for the tank and then that will decide what spare space I will have underneath behind the rear axle.

Only problem that I have seen so far about having a Hemi .. NO SPACE UNDER THE HOOD.... but it sounds soooooo good its worth it :brows:

Lunatic Fridge

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
My under hood viar did well but was kind of slow but I was never in a hurry, now I have the arb twin and its faster but still takes time.

Last edited:

wetfootnw

I had the ARB single and was always last to finish airing up. I now have the ARB twin and can almost air up my jeep and half of another before some finish.

jkjurny

I have a 10lb PowerTank. It depends how far you air down and how much you air up.

I typically go down to 12-15 and air up to 28 on my 35s

My last fill, I did my 4 tires 4 times and a friends 37s once. I also added 4 PSI to my wife's BMW.

There was still air in it. When I took it to get refilled yesterday, the tech said that there was probably one more lb of liquid left.

Fill ups are getting costly though. The shop I go to went fro $28 to $39. Also, a lot of shops now just do tank trades.

dahreno

Banned
I use the same Smittybuilt pump and it works great for 35s. I don't know why you don't think it won't work with 37s. It moves more air than most pumps. I don't own any other of their products as I don't fell they are really up to par but, this pump kicks butt as far as I am concerned. With me, a true test is the test of time and I have only had it for about a year. We'll see how it lasts !

sean.m.adams33

I have the ARB twin. It does alright. Although I do sometimes wonder if one of the twins isn't working, or maybe my expectations were unrealistic.

Thanks for all the replies! You never know when you see that deal you just can't live without so was trying to gather some background. We will see how the current system holds up.

I have a 10lb PowerTank. It depends how far you air down and how much you air up.

I typically go down to 12-15 and air up to 28 on my 35s

My last fill, I did my 4 tires 4 times and a friends 37s once. I also added 4 PSI to my wife's BMW.

There was still air in it. When I took it to get refilled yesterday, the tech said that there was probably one more lb of liquid left.

Fill ups are getting costly though. The shop I go to went fro $28 to $39. Also, a lot of shops now just do tank trades.

Thanks for this.

Any other Co2'rs feel free to chime in.

suicideking

I have the ARB twin under the passenger seat. I wouldn't consider CO2 because of the cost to keep filling it up. Wouldn't be bad to keep around for an emergency though.

My twin isn't as fast as some are claiming, but I'm rarely the last one to finish filling up. It's pretty effortless to fill up. I have a small velcro strap so I can keep it running while I BS and do other things. So I don't see what the big deal with waiting is. It's not like you have to stand there and babysit it. Just don't forget about it like I do every now and then. Then I have a tire above 40 psi and have to air it down a bit. :doh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a WARN PowerPlant on both my JK's and use them to air up a set of 37's on one and 40's on the other. Takes about a minute and a half per tire to take my 37 from 15 psi to 30.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have an air pump unit similar to smittybilt, looks identical and specs are the same. at EJS last week one of our group members had twin ARB in a portable case with a small tank. we tested how fast it took us, started the pumps at the same time. he finished faster but by less than 10 seconds from 18 to 35..we both set our start pressure the same at 18.
I was considering ARB but after seeing the minimal difference, I'll put that money to other use. I can fill 2 sets almost continuous use before the thermal shutoff kicks in

Kavanji

i have a Viair 400 which used to live under my TJs hood. it used to do about 6 to 7 285 tires before the thermal protection came on.
i have it loose in my JK and still needs to be installed but now that it is not already halfway into thermal overload by engine heat i do 6x 35"
without it cutting out. so i am considering a under the passenger seat installation.

x2 on the PowerPlant

I've got a Warn PowerPlant and it airs my 35x12.5x17 Nitto T/G up from 10 psi to 26psi in approximately 90 seconds per tire. I am very impressed with it's performance when it comes to airing up tires.

I explored the option of running an ARB under the hood compressor or a Power Tank. The ARB under the hood compressor was a good deal, but I had heard things about it overheating and taking a little long to air up tires. That said, I've since used an ARB to air up my tires and it takes a little longer to fill the tires, but nothing significant. The Power Tank was a nice option, but as others have mentioned, it's costly to fill them.

I wouldn't trade the convenience or performance of my PowerPlant for another compressor. Just my :twocents:

suicideking

i have a Viair 400 which used to live under my TJs hood. it used to do about 6 to 7 285 tires before the thermal protection came on.
i have it loose in my JK and still needs to be installed but now that it is not already halfway into thermal overload by engine heat i do 6x 35"
without it cutting out. so i am considering a under the passenger seat installation.

I had a Viair 400 for a few months (installed under hood). In 80 degree temperature in the Spring, I would usually get 2 35" tires filled before it would overheat. Returned it and got the ARB twin which has never overheated. Duty cycle on the ARB is 33% (I think) and the ARB is 100%. If you get any less than 100%, it can overheat and you have to wait.

mrmet1983

What ever compressor U get just make sure it's 100% duty cycle that will allow you to run it as long as you need. I have the viar 480c I believe and it does ok wit my 37s takes about 3-5 min to air each tire up from 10psi I like using this rather then running the comp for my compressor id rather the viair burnout then my ARB comp

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

TNuggs13

I have the ARB twin under the passenger seat. I wouldn't consider CO2 because of the cost to keep filling it up. Wouldn't be bad to keep around for an emergency though.

My twin isn't as fast as some are claiming, but I'm rarely the last one to finish filling up. It's pretty effortless to fill up. I have a small velcro strap so I can keep it running while I BS and do other things. So I don't see what the big deal with waiting is. It's not like you have to stand there and babysit it. Just don't forget about it like I do every now and then. Then I have a tire above 40 psi and have to air it down a bit. :doh:

With it under your passenger seat is it mounted to the floor or does it just sit in there nicely? Also, what about the heat from the compressor? Could it burn/melt the carpet or the seat at all? Was it difficult to run the wires to the battery to power the unit?

Rottenbelly

What ever compressor U get just make sure it's 100% duty cycle that will allow you to run it as long as you need. I have the viar 480c I believe and it does ok wit my 37s takes about 3-5 min to air each tire up from 10psi I like using this rather then running the comp for my compressor id rather the viair burnout then my ARB comp

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

This. I used the ARB under hood only for my lockers and I run 2 480c compressors and a. 2.5 gallon tank.
Does all 4 tires in about 7 minutes from 12-28psi. 37 trail graps.
c0c7a1c81e35672e5b8599071b524718.jpg

Top Bottom