35's???

bman198

So the tread on my 33's is near the end if it's life and Iv been looking into moving up to 35's. With this though I have a lot of questions. My Dad put 35's on his unlimited and it was near unbearable to drive and felt "gutless" in a sense. I don't have the money to go and re-gear my transmission like him so my question is will the same thing happen to my 2 door? If so how bad is it and is It worth doing or what would you recommend?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
. I will be moving up to 35's as well and I will be running 3:21's too. I heard its doable but not ideal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

kornchip

Is yours a sport or a sport s
edit: The optional tow package comes with 3.73, standard is 3.21 i believe.

Ive heard that you can run it but will run into problems after long term use. I'm saving for a move to 35s this summer and from what ive learned on the forum, Im going with 4.88s, chromoly shafts, sleeves and gussets, and axle trusses.

Last edited:

kornchip

I rode in a friends with 3.21s and 35s before he regeared. His is a 6 speed and has the 3.6 over the 3.8. His 6th gear was completely worthless. He waited about a month before he regeared and nothing is broken or bent as of yet.

kornchip

You have a nice set up for a college kid. I have 1 more year left and cant wait. High hopes for jeep mods outa college.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Thanks Kornchip! Out of curiosity, is anyone out there running theirs with 35's and have not upgraded their gears? I know that it wouldn't be ideal but I want to hear what from first hand. Being in college means my wallet is already quite slim! Haha

I'm running 35" Toyo's on my 2012 JKU Sport auto. w/stock 3.73 gears......I'm happy with the performance and so far have no complaints about the power output of the 3.6........I'm sure upgrading to a 4.88 or 5.13 would make it easier to turn the bigger tires but I'm going to wait till later when I go to the 37's for good......and 5.38's when I go to 40's with the D60/D80 upgrade...........natural progression.......it's what we do........it's a sickness :rock:

~Woodrow~

bman198

I'm running 35" Toyo's on my 2012 JKU Sport auto. w/stock 3.73 gears......I'm happy with the performance and so far have no complaints about the power output of the 3.6........I'm sure upgrading to a 4.88 or 5.13 would make it easier to turn the bigger tires but I'm going to wait till later when I go to the 37's for good......and 5.38's when I go to 40's with the D60/D80 upgrade...........natural progression.......it's what we do........it's a sickness :rock:

~Woodrow~

Do you think there will be much of a difference being that the 2011 has the 3.8L motor? I'm assuming the gear ratios are the same between the 11'-12' but I could be wrong.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Do you think there will be much of a difference being that the 2011 has the 3.8L motor? I'm assuming the gear ratios are the same between the 11'-12' but I could be wrong.

Well the 83 extra horses in the 3.6 helps and the 3.6 weighs 90 lbs less as well........the 6 speed manual transmission is the same but the 5 speed automatic that I have is new and has a lower first gear then the 2011 automatic.......the 2012 JK is a full 2 seconds faster then the 2011's.......the rear differential gearset were available in 3.21 and 3.73 with 4.10 in the Rubicons. ...

~Woodrow~

Christarp

Yes it will feel gutless.

3.21's in a 2011 automatic (so a 4 speed instead of 5 like 2012+ and a 0.69 OD instead of 0.83 like 2012+ OD) is just going to be bad with 35's

You'll completely lose 4th gear and you will only be running with OD off. I have 4.10's in my 07 auto and it's just on the edge. I've driven 5.13's and 4.10's with 35's on a 2011 2 door, and the 5.13's makes a world of difference. Being that you have 3.21's it's going to be bad. You can do it, but you'll be doing it with 3 gears and with OD off all the time.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Thanks Kornchip! Out of curiosity, is anyone out there running theirs with 35's and have not upgraded their gears? I know that it wouldn't be ideal but I want to hear what from first hand. Being in college means my wallet is already quite slim! Haha

I run this currently...Although I have the 3.6 with the auto and 3.21's...I manually shift and 5th gear has become a rare commodity. Constantly downshifting to third and upshifting at 3-3.5k rpms to keep up with traffic. I loved driving my rig everyday, despite the 3.21's sucking with the Rubicon tires...now that my better half is on maternity leave I stole back my mpg chaser. You have 80ish less hp then us 3.6 guys that don't like it. I won't/wouldnt go back to the stock rubicon tires...but gearing is gonna happen soon as I can spare the cash! I would say if you live close to school/work or its relatively flat then just go for the 35's. :beer:

suicideking

I wouldn't do it. I have the 3.6 in my '12 and have been running 3.73 with 35's and it's not terrible, but still makes me want to re-gear even after using the Procal.

3.21 and 35's with the 3.8 is going to be near unbearable. You should wait until you can re-gear.

firecrew1

I have the 410 now with 35's on a 11 unlimited rubi, its not too bad driving but I have to constantly use the od button since I live in the hills. had a 2 door with 373 and 33's and it was tolerable but wouldn't want 35's with those gears, saving up now to regear the rubi

gradymeister

I have the 3.6 and 3:21 ratio on 35's. I will be ordering up some 4:88's today. It's barely tolerable because I have the manual but I have yet to get out of 4th gear, even on the freeway at 70.

noroad

I have the 3.6 and 3:21 ratio on 35's. I will be ordering up some 4:88's today. It's barely tolerable because I have the manual but I have yet to get out of 4th gear, even on the freeway at 70.

I run 37s and 3.21 and have a manual 3.6 and do 70 in 5th with plenty of power left to get me going more (i have no 6th and big hill =4th) plan is 4.88s

Top Bottom