The Metamorphosis of MumboJumbo

Started the double axle swap this morning. First off, someone recently told me that I could start a double swap at 8am and be home by noon. I'm here to say they lied like a rug, lol.
Took me a while to get the D30 ready for removal, figured the best way was to tie up everything that wasn't leaving with it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397630444.993206.jpg . Out with the old ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397630505.021030.jpg . Did a bit of much needed maintenance since the long arms get to sit on my bench a few more weeks. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397630631.723428.jpg . While I was doing the maintenance and prep work, the rear RockJock was getting a new ARB locker installed. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397630849.799088.jpg . In with the new RockJock front axle. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397630932.397951.jpg . After a few unfortunate glitches, such as new drive shaft being too long, the front is finally in and doing the alignment and Hydro-Assist fine tuned for the 40 mile trip back up the hill for the night. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397631227.399078.jpg . Tomorrow is day two of the 4hr axle swap where I start with an emergency visit to the local drive shaft shop to have 2 1/2 inches removed from my new front drive shaft so it can be installed. Then, it's time to prep the D44 rear for removal. Have to begin that task by getting under the center console, which is no easy task with the Corbeau seats, to remove the E-Brake cables as the new axle came with new ones. Crossing my fingers the rear will be done by dark, lol. More to come.

Last edited:

Panda

Looking real good Lee! That is a lot of work for one day wow.. Btw Bigfoot called he wants his jack stands back :shock:

JK's JK

Banned
Started the double axle swap this morning. First off, someone recently told me that I could start a double swap at 8am and be home by noon. I'm here to say they lied like a rug, lol.
Took me a while to get the D30 ready for removal, figured the best way was to tie up everything that wasn't leaving with it. View attachment 79002 . Out with the old View attachment 79003 . Did a bit of much needed maintenance since the long arms get to sit on my bench a few more weeks. View attachment 79004 . While I was doing the maintenance and prep work, the rear RockJock was getting a new ARB locker installed. View attachment 79005 . In with the new RockJock front axle. View attachment 79006 . After a few unfortunate glitches, such as new drive shaft being too long, the front is finally in and doing the alignment and Hydro-Assist fine tuned for the 40 mile trip back up the hill for the night. View attachment 79008 . Tomorrow is day two of the 4hr axle swap where I start with an emergency visit to the local drive shaft shop to have 2 1/2 inches removed from my new front drive shaft so it can be installed. Then, it's time to prep the D44 rear for removal. Have to begin that task by getting under the center console, which is no easy task with the Corbeau seats, to remove the E-Brake cables as the new axle came with new ones. Crossing my fingers the rear will be done by dark, lol. More to come.

It's really coming together Lee :rock: See you on Friday

David1tontj

Yeah...... Bigger axle= shorter driveshaft or a couple inch stretch which would've been pretty sweet on your 2 door!

Looking great tho!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Yeah...... Bigger axle= shorter driveshaft or a couple inch stretch which would've been pretty sweet on your 2 door!

Looking great tho!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Long story, will update after I limp home with front shaft only. Lol

JAGS

Hooked
Double swap by noon is a tall order there Lee. Keep the updates coming and hopefully a better day tomorrow. :thumb:

The second and final day of the double swap has finally come to an end and I can finally relax and give an update.
Started off this morning with a trip to the local drive shaft shop to drop off what I assumed was the front drive shaft. Guess explaining is in order. When purchasing drive shafts for a 2dr you expect to receive a long one ( front) and a short one (rear), right? So, yesterday I tried to install the long one in the front and it just wasn't going to happen, the transfer case flange didn't even fit right and was rubbing on the shift linkage so off to the shop it went this morning.
I get to my gearhead's place this morning and was certain I was going to be taking the rear shaft to the shop as well when I noticed the transfer case flange was different than the front. I crawled underneath and quickly swapped flanges and installed the shorter one on the front, fit like a glove. Had to make a panic call to the drive shaft shop and stop them before they cut into the one I had already dropped off, lol. So as it turned out, I ended up getting a rear drive shaft that was almost twice as long as what I ordered but no harm, no foul because JE Reel still did me right by expediting my order when they really didn't have to. Should have my shortened rear shaft back by Friday, fingers crossed.

My gearhead spent most of the day sick in bed so that left me flying solo today, but Mrs. Ridge3runner was there to shuttle tools and take pics.
Pretty much same as the front, loosened and tied up everything I could. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715426.561309.jpg then up on the multi-purpose barstools it went. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715531.165498.jpg didn't take nearly as long as the front to make it ready to drag out. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715642.692061.jpg and once again, out with the old. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715687.282292.jpg and in with the new. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715736.114794.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715763.308408.jpg . Break time, union rules. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397715827.733163.jpg so, after getting everything important reassembled, it's time to toss those heavy-ass 40's back on, top off the diffs, load up and limp home with only a front drive shaft. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397716050.490211.jpg just wasn't enough light left after we cleaned up to get any decent pics of the final results so I'll take a few in the morning and post them up before I start running the air lines for the lockers. It's been fun, even mentally soothing, but I certainly wouldn't wish that project on anyone, lmao.

Last edited:

turbineguy

Awesome name. Are you building/gearing your rockjocks yourself?

I have a G2 rockjock 60 rear that came built with a rear ARB. Its been leaking at drivers side axle, so G2 sent me a new inner axle seal and bearing kit. It will be my first time tearing into a diff, but I have several friends to help.

I had to reroute my rear ARB air line this weekend. It got singed by my exhaust the first time out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome name. Are you building/gearing your rockjocks yourself?

I have a G2 rockjock 60 rear that came built with a rear ARB. Its been leaking at drivers side axle, so G2 sent me a new inner axle seal and bearing kit. It will be my first time tearing into a diff, but I have several friends to help.

I had to reroute my rear ARB air line this weekend. It got singed by my exhaust the first time out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Both of them came with 5:13 gears, all we needed to change was the rear locker from a Detroit to an ARB. In regards to your melted air lines, run them down the passenger side. I've even heard of some people putting the air hose inside some rubber vacuum line hose or aven an old garden hose to protect it.

Heholua

Both of them came with 5:13 gears, all we needed to change was the rear locker from a Detroit to an ARB. In regards to your melted air lines, run them down the passenger side. I've even heard of some people putting the air hose inside some rubber vacuum line hose or aven an old garden hose to protect it.

I ran stainless steel braided air lines for my lockers. I think you can get them from Crown or Rubicon Express. Mine are Rubicon Express from Northridge 4x4.

Top Bottom