Driveshaft questions

So I've seen a few places on this site where replacing driveshafts is discussed. However, I've seen people say it needs to be done after 2.5" of lift and others say after 3" of lift. I'm all set to buy a 3" lift, but now I'm worried about funding a driveshaft replacement. Can someone clear this up? I've got a '13 JKUR 10A, looking to put on 35s.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I installed a 3" lift on my jeep and tore the boot on the front driveshaft the first time I went wheeling after the lift. If you keep your sway bar connected you might be able to put it off a little longer.

904Jeep

Also keep in mind that with a 2.5" lift you will still net about 3"'s of lift depending on how heavy your jeep is, winches, steel bumpers, etc.

jkjurny

You'll probably have to do an exhaust spacer at a minimum. You should just spend the money on the front driveshaft and avoid even doing the spacer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I've seen a few places on this site where replacing driveshafts is discussed. However, I've seen people say it needs to be done after 2.5" of lift and others say after 3" of lift. I'm all set to buy a 3" lift, but now I'm worried about funding a driveshaft replacement. Can someone clear this up? I've got a '13 JKUR 10A, looking to put on 35s.

Being that you have a 2013, you WILL damage your front drive shaft slip boot IF you install a 2.5" lift with shocks that allow too much droop. Exhaust spacers will help prevent this. At 3" of lift or more, your front drive shaft will sit at a steep enough angle that your output shaft CV boot will be in a constant state of pinch and that will cause it to fail prematurely.

Jahowt

I have a 2013 JKUR with a 3.5" lift and exhaust mod using the rancho exhaust pipe kit. The drive shaft boot is pinched slightly, but I've wheeled aggressively with it and it's still working fine. When it fails, then I'll upgrade the shaft. To avoid hitting the exhaust crossover, the rancho kit is $65. I'll still have to upgrade the ds later, but can defer the cost for now.

You'll probably have to do an exhaust spacer at a minimum. You should just spend the money on the front driveshaft and avoid even doing the spacer.

Being that you have a 2013, you WILL damage your front drive shaft slip boot IF you install a 2.5" lift with shocks that allow too much droop. Exhaust spacers will help prevent this. At 3" of lift or more, your front drive shaft will sit at a steep enough angle that your output shaft CV boot will be in a constant state of pinch and that will cause it to fail prematurely.

Thanks guys, sounds like the simplest solution is to just buck up and save a little more for a replacement. Just trying to do it right the first time!:thumb:

I have a 2013 JKUR with a 3.5" lift and exhaust mod using the rancho exhaust pipe kit. The drive shaft boot is pinched slightly, but I've wheeled aggressively with it and it's still working fine. When it fails, then I'll upgrade the shaft. To avoid hitting the exhaust crossover, the rancho kit is $65. I'll still have to upgrade the ds later, but can defer the cost for now.

Interesting, that's definitely something I'd be interested in as I won't have the money for a new ds till end of summer or so.

Jahowt

Interesting, that's definitely something I'd be interested in as I won't have the money for a new ds till end of summer or so.

Search for Rancho RS720003 at your favorite seller, preferably sponsors. Requires cutting the y-pipe, but was very easy once I broke the bolts loose.

jkjurny

You can get the front driveshaft for $450 to $600 depending on where you look.

Once you get it, you won't need the exhaust spacer, which means you have spent $65 for nothing. If I were you I'd just charge it and pay it off before you rack up $65 in interest.

I'm speaking through experience. I wasted money on a teraflex exhaust spacer that I now don't need because of my new driveshaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can get the front driveshaft for $450 to $600 depending on where you look.

Once you get it, you won't need the exhaust spacer, which means you have spent $65 for nothing. If I were you I'd just charge it and pay it off before you rack up $65 in interest.

I'm speaking through experience. I wasted money on a teraflex exhaust spacer that I now don't need because of my new driveshaft.

Agreed. Unless you're just installing a 2.5" lift, I don't know if I'd bother with the exhaust spacer. Rather, I would just run the factory shaft as is until I could afford to replace it. Sure, the slip shaft boot will get damaged but you'll be able to keep on rolling for a while as will the CV boot. You just need to plan to replace it and you'll be fine.

Agreed. Unless you're just installing a 2.5" lift, I don't know if I'd bother with the exhaust spacer. Rather, I would just run the factory shaft as is until I could afford to replace it. Sure, the slip shaft boot will get damaged but you'll be able to keep on rolling for a while as will the CV boot. You just need to plan to replace it and you'll be fine.

So maybe the way to go would be 2.5" until I can save for a ds and then eventually move up from there? I want 35s now, but eventually I'd like to move to 37s so maybe a driveshaft that could handle that would be worth it?

Sent via the Internet in the palm of my hand

Top Bottom