Possible 8.8 available..specs?

Yorkie

So I've found a ford 8.8 but before I buy it I want to find out some more things about it. so I know I'll need a bracket kit to weld in but are there some different 8.8 out there that may not work correctly ? It's coming out of a mustang so I don't know if anything is different. Hope to have some more info on it soon from the guy

Jiffy05

You should look for one out of an Explorer. The ones from Mustangs unless they are from a Cobra, or other high end Mustangs have 28 spline axle shafts. The 8.8's from Explorers have 31 spline axle shafts.

dex3361

Along with the explorer 8.8 make sure it is a disc brake axle from a late 90 s explorer. I have thanked myself a zillion times for this swap. When you have to stop on a hill disc brakes hold you better and let you steer when backing off a steep or muddy hill as opposed to a drum brake axle that doesn't function well in reverse and you end up locking your front disc brakes and losing steering in the attempt to stop.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Edit: should've noticed it was not in the JK tech. But +1 on an exploder axle. I believe the housing width is wider on the explorer axle as well.

Last edited:

pvanweelden

×3 ^ what the others have said- explorer, disc brakes, and look for 4.10's as that was a gear option. Then you can re gear your front axle to match. 4.10's and the 4.0 and 35's is a great gear setup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ford ranger edge models have 4.10's as well but have drum brakes. It's an easy swap to get discs and most have a LS in them as well.

Yorkie

×3 ^ what the others have said- explorer, disc brakes, and look for 4.10's as that was a gear option. Then you can re gear your front axle to match. 4.10's and the 4.0 and 35's is a great gear setup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

i may go that route at first and then gear up to 4.88 when im ready to throw a locker in. and i only wana go 4.88 cause i want to have the possibility of towing (have a quad i like to take out and about)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
honestly id leave the drums probably, my drums now are no issue (also not stopping with 35s lol)

Sorry I made a mistake above. You want to look for a 8.8 from a ranger FX4. They have the 31 spline shafts, same as the explorer. The other 8.8's from rangers have the 28 spline shafts. Most are limited slip. Just check the axle code if you go to a junkyard to see if it has what you want.

Top Bottom