What locker should I go with???

JK320

I'm running 35's 4:10 gears and the stock Dana 35 front, I'm thinking about running RCV CV axel's but wondering what would be a good locker to pair with??
I do light wheeling and don't have the funds to buy the axels I really want. But I really want a stronger front axel set-up.

Thanks for any and all help..

Cheers to Beers!!:beer: and Jeeping!!

ichthus

You certainly need to consider sleeves and gussets with 35's. Check out the most recent JP Magazine for a nice article on the upgrades available.

Others might know, is it the Auburn Ected that functions as an LSD until selectively locked? That might be a more reasonably priced but versatile option for you. Otherwise, ARB air lockers are often considered to be the best bet for durability and longevity. Plus, you have to add an air compressor, so you get the bonus of on board air when needed... My 2 cents

kaptkrappy

I'm running 35's 4:10 gears and the stock Dana 35 front, I'm thinking about running RCV CV axel's but wondering what would be a good locker to pair with??
I do light wheeling and don't have the funds to buy the axels I really want. But I really want a stronger front axel set-up.

Thanks for any and all help..

Cheers to Beers!!:beer: and Jeeping!!

Hello JK320. It may just be a typo, but I'm pretty sure you got a Dana 30 up front (unless it's been changed out).

Cheers to you :beer:

+1 for an arb. I have a detroit and arb, both are good but I like the arb up front. comes in handy driving in the snow on a freeway when you need 4wd but dont want the locker on. That being said tho, my arb is currently broken as some of the internals have worn out, while the detroit is still living strong.

Last edited:

Trail_Creeper

I haven't heard much about Detroit's new E-locker. It functions he same as the ARB but it uses 12-volt power instead of air.

With that being said I would go with an ARB just due to being on he market longer.

Serg5000

I have read many threads and it seems ARB has lockers in a head lock. I was thinking electric for the ProRock I will be getting soon. But I will be going with ARB. Their reputation speaks for itself. Not to mention their customer service is great. Good luck.

Hell_Fire

I have also been looking into this, I am busy upgrading my rear axle and will definitely be putting an ARB locker in, there are some great auto lockers on the market that is allot cheaper like the Aussielocker http://www.aussielocker.com/ but personally I like the idea of having the power to switch the locker on and off when I need, sometimes fun to try an obstacle with out a locker and see if you can do it.

GCM 2

I personally like ARB and Detroits. I notice your location is way up in the North, and if your Jeep is a daily driver, Detroit lockers are a bit dangerous in the snow and ice. Detroits are actually awesome, but not very "refined" for street, daily drivers. I run ARB's front and rear now on my daily driver and absolutely love them. Two things to know if you choose an ARB:
1- make sure the shop doing the install has completed dozens (or even more is better) of these, and see if you can research locally any reviews of their work for reliability and customer satisfaction. ARB's seem to only have failures in the axle housing when the set up was not done properly by qualified shops. Sounds obvious I know, but just because you own wrenches does not make you a qualified installer
2-maintenance, if the install in the diff housing is correct there is not much to do there. The air compressor however will require a tad bit more servicing. Cleaning little pre-filters, keeping contacts on the electronics clean, and a few spare solenoids on hand because they do go out occasionally.

Not trying to scare you off from one of off roads best lockers. Most guys just will not tell you that there is some pros and cons about ARBs, but they truly are worth it if done correctly.

Cheers :rock:

RDE2ROK

I'm still running a D30 up front, ARB locker,RCV shafts,EVO sleeve & gusset and PP ball joints. I am also running Toyo 37s. I did blow out my R&P in moab but that was due to my abuse:D All in all I think it has held up pretty good considering all I put it through. The ARB & RCVs are very strong!:rock:

Serg5000

I'm still running a D30 up front, ARB locker,RCV shafts,EVO sleeve & gusset and PP ball joints. I am also running Toyo 37s. I did blow out my R&P in moab but that was due to my abuse:D All in all I think it has held up pretty good considering all I put it through. The ARB & RCVs are very strong!:rock:
Your running a D-30? with 37's. If so thats cool.

RDE2ROK

Your running a D-30? with 37's. If so thats cool.

Yep! It does just fine as long as I behave myself.:yup: I did blow out my front & rear R&P running Pritchert Canyon in Moab, But I was aired down to 5lbs and spinning my tires on the slick rock! I think that was too much for my little axles.:doh: But that being said, the ARB lockers and RCV shafts held up! They are pretty tough!!:thumb:

RDE2ROK

So what would be a good R&P upgrade for a D44 so you don't blow it out again?

Personaly I don't think it was a week R&P, but when you air down a 37" tire to 5lbs and aggressivly spin all four tires (locked) somethings gunna give! also the slickrock in Moab is not always SLICK. Pritchart Canyon was pretty tough and it was also raining off and on which made it more chalenging.:brows:

Serg5000

RDE2ROK said:
Yep! It does just fine as long as I behave myself.:yup: I did blow out my front & rear R&P running Pritchert Canyon in Moab, But I was aired down to 5lbs and spinning my tires on the slick rock! I think that was too much for my little axles.:doh: But that being said, the ARB lockers and RCV shafts held up! They are pretty tough!!:thumb:

That's awesome to hear a D-30 holding up.

Hell_Fire

Hey guys I had a chat with a local guy here that specializes in lockers he said a good substitute for the ARB is the Eaton E-Locker, it's way cheaper then the ARB, now I am not sure anymore the guys said ARB is a bit more high maintenance then the Eaton E-Locker any one here have an Eaton E-Locker to help me out, need to place my order soon for an upcoming trip.

Top Bottom