2014 JKUS overdrive?

ACEsJK

My 14' has a a sport shifter with the auto. We don't have an overdrive button on the shifter. And when I've move the shifter to the manual speed shifter. It's automatically moves to 1st gear. But I've only done it at low speed or no speed. Was wondering uphill, what you guys are doing or just letting the transmission figure it out itself.

When you go to manual it should stay in whatever gear it currently is in until you select another.... If it doesn't you should have it looked at as switching to manual on the interstate and it going to first would make for an interesting trip...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When you go to manual it should stay in whatever gear it currently is in until you select another.... If it doesn't you should have it looked at as switching to manual on the interstate and it going to first would make for an interesting trip...

What he said ^^^. If you're doing 60 on a hill and in something like 5th, slapping the stick into manual will keep you in 5th and then you can continue slapping it to drop gears or up shift as needed.

SDG

Caught the Bug
What he said ^^^. If you're doing 60 on a hill and in something like 5th, slapping the stick into manual will keep you in 5th and then you can continue slapping it to drop gears or up shift as needed.

I think it depends which way you slap it! LOL

If you slap to the right it will go into manual in the gear its in, if you slap it to the left it will go up a gear and go into manual -1.

If you slap to the right it will go into manual in the gear its in, if you slap it to the left it will go up a gear and go into manual -1.

Smack it, Flip it, Rub it down..... Oh no.......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You know, I am wrong and you are right, it will go into manual -1 with a slap to the left. If I recall, I don't think anything happens if you slap to the right unless you are already in manual.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Is there an option to turn off overdrive on the 2012+?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ACEsJK

Ok that's what I assumed but wanted to get clarification on that before I tried it because I didn't want to find out how interesting that trip would be if it did go into first gear hahaha

compton94

I have this on my 2013 Sahara edition. If on the freeway and I slap it left it goes to 4th gear, but if I slap it right is stays in 5th. Hope this helps. Also good to use if tyou are towing anything

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using WAYALIFE mobile app

ACEsJK

I have this on my 2013 Sahara edition. If on the freeway and I slap it left it goes to 4th gear, but if I slap it right is stays in 5th. Hope this helps. Also good to use if tyou are towing anything

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's does my brotha. Much appreciated.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Another good thing to note.....

If you happen to have someone in the passenger seat and they are trying to dick around with something in the back seat, and you feel the jeep start lurching and the engine get loud....... They accidentally took it out of D with their knee, and are now cycling up your gears....

How do I know???Has happened to me 2x now lol. Had a coworker do it once when I picked him up for work and he was trying to reach his bag, and my girlfriend just did it last week messing with the dog.

jims68

My wife did that with her 11 grand! She called me AT WORK because she thought she broke it! Drove around for quite a while in 1st gear! All she could tell me is it revs a lot and doesn't go very fast!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
My wife did that with her 11 grand! She called me AT WORK because she thought she broke it! Drove around for quite a while in 1st gear! All she could tell me is it revs a lot and doesn't go very fast!

It should of shifted to second. I know in the Chrysler cars with the autostick, they automatically up shift when they reach a certain RPM. Keeps you from blowing it up if you forget you're in manual mode.

jims68

You know I will have to try that. Manual mode in the Chevys you hit the rev limiter and it goes into a rpm based limp mode. I'm guessing the jeep operates the same way.

suicideking

The time I usually use the manual shifting is when wheeling and on a downhill section. I usually shift it into 1st so that I don't have to ride the brake.

DMF

I have a 2014. When slapping it left it automatically drops down in gear regardless of what gear I am in. 4 to 3, 3 to 2 etc. I have not slap it to the right yet. Usually just push it to the right and hold so it can go back to auto.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Small caveat.....what you describe is only on 2012 Wranglers (I loved it)....13 and 14s were programmed by a dumba$$.

With a 12...if you are doing 60, and bump it to manual mode, you will see 5th. If you slow down to 5mph, you will still see 5th on the dash, and when you accelerate, the jeep will automatically shift up to your previously selected gear...in this case, 5th. On the 13s and 14s...if you are in 4th at 50mph, and then slow down to 5, the jeep will automatically lock it in whatever lowest gear it hit, in this case, 1st. Stupid as hell and annoying.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014. When slapping it left it automatically drops down in gear regardless of what gear I am in. 4 to 3, 3 to 2 etc. I have not slap it to the right yet. Usually just push it to the right and hold so it can go back to auto.

A left bump will downshift one gear. A bump to the right will put it in manual mode, but keep it in whatever gear you're currently in.

Top Bottom