modular bumpers?

dunstan74

Im in the market for a front bumper and while I would absolutely love a evo 1/4 with stinger I don't think I would make down the street with being pulled over and defected.

Are modular bumpers that have a stubby center section and bolt on end wings worth looking into? That way I have the clearance off a stubby offroad and can put the end wings on for daily driving to keep the highway patrol happy.

Any suggestions on what to look for?
I see rugged ridge makes one but dont know of what quality.

Thanks in advance.

hlax2525

What state do you live in? Most states as far as I know of only have laws regarding fender coverage of the tires. I haven't heard of anybody have bumper issues before

hlax2525

Just looked at your profile. I guess bumpers are an issue in Australia then. I only know that rugged ridge and smittybilt make modular bumpers. Not sure if anybody else does

TheDuff

Rough country, metalcloak, and probably a few more.
I would find one u like the looks and features of and meets your needs of quick end cap removal.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dunstan74

Just looked at your profile. I guess bumpers are an issue in Australia then. I only know that rugged ridge and smittybilt make modular bumpers. Not sure if anybody else does

Everything to do with modifying a 4x4 is an issue over here haha haven't heard great things about smittybilt, does thier bumper carry the same reputation as alot of there other products?

dunstan74

Rough country, metalcloak, and probably a few more.
I would find one u like the looks and features of and meets your needs of quick end cap removal.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So they are more or less all pretty similar?

Jersey_Devil

I love my rugged ridge xhd mod bumpers, I got front and rear. U can put regular ends or toolbox ends on it too. I run no ends at all. NJ don't bother me (knock on wood) I made my own light mounts for it cuz it don't come with any and I just drilled holes for the angled lights.

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397870921535.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397870921535.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 175
  • uploadfromtaptalk1397870983154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397870983154.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 175

StrizzyChris

I had a rugged ridge modular bumper on my 07 JK. I got rid of the end caps and used the core stubby with hoop only. The core is sturdy and can take a beating but EVERY add-on is of crappy quality! They are really only good for their looks and won't hold up to abuse. So if you're truly going to take off the end caps before each trip to prevent damage, the RR bumper would be fine.

hotshotjeep

I have the smitty built xrc MOD bumper I like it alot so far I have complaints

Sent from my SGH-I727R using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1397874316420.jpg
    1397874316420.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 1397874335246.jpg
    1397874335246.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 145

Flyer

Metalcloak is one that I am aware of. I think they will be of good quality. Their powder coat process looks quite good too, and includes the zinc primer. I wanted a mid width that keep the winch as low as possible. I went with the LOD, since I didn't want to wait for the Shrockworks. Choosing a bumper is tough since there are so many great options.

Hack12

I also have the Rugged Ridge Modular XHD bumper. It is definitely solid. As this is the only aftermarket bumper I've ever used, I can't offer you much in terms of a comparison with other brands, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoy this bumper for it's looks and durability.

Currently, I run the stubby center portion, stubby end caps, and stinger bar. The first year I had it I ran the full size end caps and hoop bar.

Old Setup - Stubby Center, Full End Caps & Hoop Bar:

View attachment 79480

View attachment 79481

New Setup - Stubby Center, Stubby End Caps, Stinger Bar:

View attachment 79482

View attachment 79483

View attachment 79484

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1397911757.818707.jpg

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

Hack, I liked you until you posted up a pic of your rig in front of Gillette stadium... I don't know if I can talk to you any more!!!! :grayno:

Hack12

Hack, I liked you until you posted up a pic of your rig in front of Gillette stadium... I don't know if I can talk to you any more!!!! :grayno:

Haha, understood. Though, if it makes you feel any better I was only there attending the Northeast Suds-n-Grub at Toby Keith's Bar & Grill.

suicideking

One more vote for Metalcloak. I was planning to get one until I got a good deal on a Shrockworks. MC has lots of options.

Top Bottom