Reverse, third brake, and license plate lights with evo tire carrier?

Christarp

Hey guys, I just received some LED's that I ordered to finish up all the lighting, and I'll be making my bracket here soon, but I just want to double check my wiring and make sure it'll all work alright.

In case you're wondering the LED's I've ordered are the cool white and red (2 of each) of these: http://www.oznium.com/led-bolt and one of these: http://www.oznium.com/side-view-led-bolt for the license plate light. As they're already wired for a 12v source I believe everything should just be plug and play yeah?

I was going to wire the third brake light up to the OEM third brake light wiring inside the tailgate. I would just pull it out of the tailgate and run it back to behind the passenger tail light.

I'm planning on wiring the reverse lights to the OEM reverse wire that I'm not currently using on the new tail lights.

The only one I'm not entirely sure about is the license plate light. As you know the license plate light is with the license plate on the driver side in the OEM position. In order to open the tire carrier, I need it on the passenger side, but instead of rerouting all that wire I was going to splice into the tail lights wiring, would that work? (So the 3 wires used on the new tail lights are ground, blinker / brake, and tail light, and I'd be splicing into the tail light one) This would allow the license plate light to come on with the other lights yeah?

As for routing the wire, I was planning on drilling 2 holes in the side of the tire carrier, one on the side near the top passenger hinge, and one on the side near the license plate holder and routing the wires through there, I should be okay doing that right?

Thanks guys! The cops over here in beaverton are sticklers about license plate lights and all the little things y'know.

TheDuff

Google around for the instructions to install the ORO brake light/ licence plate light kit. All the wires you need are in the passenger side tail light harness and I remember there is a install guide that someone posted online for the ORO kit that will tell you all the wire colors and what is what:beer:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i used the 3rd brake light under the black panel on the gate. some people were having issues with using the brake light wire on the passenger side. i think it made their new 3rd light blink.

Christarp

i used the 3rd brake light under the black panel on the gate. some people were having issues with using the brake light wire on the passenger side. i think it made their new 3rd light blink.
I plan to do the same, If you rigged the third brake light to the brake light on the passenger side whenever you used your passenger turn signal it would blink I think.

Also, theduff, thanks for the tip on the installation instructions I'll check it out!

fadeout

This is what I used and I just ran the wire along the tire carrier and zip-tied it to it, I'd rather not have any chance of air or moisture getting in there to create rust over time than a super clean install. The only way you can see the wires on mine is if you open the carrier.

Top Bottom