JK Inverter

CZEBJKU

Hi all. I have a 2000 watt inverter and am toying with the idea of installing it in my JK. I would like to wire it in in place of the factory inverter but do not know where it is located. If I wire it in place of the existing inverter I can utilize the outlet that is in the console and can also provide power to other equipment as well.
First, does anyone know the location of the factory inverter?
Second, are there any wiring diagrams for a 2013 JKU here on the forum?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

Hi all. I have a 2000 watt inverter and am toying with the idea of installing it in my JK. I would like to wire it in in place of the factory inverter but do not know where it is located. If I wire it in place of the existing inverter I can utilize the outlet that is in the console and can also provide power to other equipment as well.
First, does anyone know the location of the factory inverter?
Second, are there any wiring diagrams for a 2013 JKU here on the forum?

I'm no electrician, but can the battery even power 2KWatts for an extended period? Seems you'd need to also upgrade your alternator to sustain the load.

xflstl

2k converter can kill a single battery fast.. I run a 2.5k in my big rig connected to 4 batteries, and it still drains them brutally.

Sent from my SCH-I605

CZEBJKU

I'm no electrician, but can the battery even power 2KWatts for an extended period? Seems you'd need to also upgrade your alternator to sustain the load.

I have the same inverter installed in my work truck and use it for running an electric drill or an electric grinder for short periods of time. I believe that the "115 volt auxillary outlet" that came with my Jeep is only rated for about 150 watts (correct me if I am wrong). It is capable of powering a lap top, cell phone, tablet, or any other small device.

What I am looking to run off of the larger inverter would be a small chain saw for cutting fire wood and a drill or grinder for trail repairs if needed. Not sure yet if it will handle a small welder. Still checking into that one. And I cant forget the blender for smoothies and cocktails around the camp fire.:beer:

The larger inverter would also give me more outlets to charge more small devices at once. It seems that I have a battle between my girls as to who gets dibs on the auxillary port when we are traveling.

I can wire it direct to the battery and install a remote switch but would prefer to wire it through the egnition switch so that the only way it will run is if the engine is running. That way if the remote switch were to get turned on accidently it wouldnt run down the battery. Maybe this is not possible? That is why I am asking questions and doing some research.

Thanks in advance for any help!

xflstl

You should be able to do what you have in mind (have your inverter turn on with ignition). However I have no idea where the stock inverter is. You would need to run different wiring to the battery as there is no way the stock inverter is running on heavy enough cables to handle a 2k inverter. If you get a 2k inverter some have options for a remote soft power button. I can tell you now that running acdecent drill or small electric chainsaw off a single battery setup will cause you headaches.

Sent from my SCH-I605

xflstl

Here is my setup, running a 2500w inverter off of a 4 battery setup. Power wires ran are like 2 gadge wires split in 2 as the inverter has 2 pos and 2 neg inputs.
u2ype5as.jpg

tu5epy6a.jpg

I can tell you that depending on the draw you plan to pull a single battery setup should not have more that say a 500w inverter on it. For example a 2k inverter running a 900w microwave for 5 minutes will effectively drain the battery to the point the inverter will shut off due to low voltage.
If your running a duel battery setup you should be able to handle a 1k to 1500w inverter for short bursts.
Whatever you do going to a duel battery setup would be highly recommended.

Sent from my SCH-I605

UNLIMITED_FUN

I have a HF 2k > 4k inverter, this is a BEAST.

I plugged it in with the quick connects for my winch, engine running.

The test was a Shark vacuum cleaner, a skill saw and "4 Halogen work lights that were all on at the same time".

I ran all of these for minutes at a time without the inverter going in to alarm or significantly dropping the battery voltage. (I was monitoring this)

As recommended use welding cable, have shiny clean tight connections, and the more batteries the better.

Also, not all inverters are created equal. Some will have one rail run 1 plug, and another rail run another 1 plug. Each "side" will not deliver the total rated output.

CZEBJKU

I found the owners manual for the inverter that I have. After doing some calculating I have found that without the engine running I can run my chain saw (5 amp draw) continuosly for just over a half hour before the inverter shuts down due to low input voltage. Will I run the chainsaw for that long without the engine running? Probably not. As far as adding another battery in parallel, I don't really need to at this point based on the demands I will place on it. Its main function will be to provide more outlets for small hand held devices ie:cell phone, laptop, ipad etc.

I am thinking (dangerous, I know) about mounting it under the front passenger seat and running #2 gadge stranded cables from the battery to the inverter input. I still need to find the factory inverter, remove it, wire in the ignition control wire and remote switch.

Thank you for all of your input and advice! I will continue on to locate the factory inverter and a wireing diagram for my JK.:beer:

xflstl

I found the owners manual for the inverter that I have. After doing some calculating I have found that without the engine running I can run my chain saw (5 amp draw) continuosly for just over a half hour before the inverter shuts down due to low input voltage. Will I run the chainsaw for that long without the engine running? Probably not. As far as adding another battery in parallel, I don't really need to at this point based on the demands I will place on it. Its main function will be to provide more outlets for small hand held devices ie:cell phone, laptop, ipad etc.

I am thinking (dangerous, I know) about mounting it under the front passenger seat and running #2 gadge stranded cables from the battery to the inverter input. I still need to find the factory inverter, remove it, wire in the ignition control wire and remote switch.

Thank you for all of your input and advice! I will continue on to locate the factory inverter and a wireing diagram for my JK.:beer:

Awsome!!! A couple thing's to keep in mind on your calculations. The inverter has a minor draw of its own, its minimal but its there. Also the lengh of cable from the batteries to the inverter affects draw, as well as the temperature of the cable. The longer you use an item the current heats the cable increasing the resistance thereby increasing the draw on the batteries. As well as calculations are based off of a 100% perfect battery, which is never what you actually have in the real world.

Just my thoughts as someone who uses a large inverter 300+ days a year, and replaces 4 battery's annually sometimes more often than that.!!

Sent from my SCH-I605

CZEBJKU

Yup. This project is a little ways off yet but I will take all things into consideration when doing my calculations. Thanks again for all of your input! BTW Nice looking Jeep! I'm only about 4hrs from you. Someday we will have to meet up.

Top Bottom