Brakes Question

Dannyboy76

Question about after market Brakes. I have a 2008 JKU with 2.5" and 33's. Right now I still have my stock brake. Sooner or later I will need to replace the rotors and pads. Wondering if it is worth going after market? If so any brand that I should look at? There a lot to choose from :crazyeyes:. Would really like to hear some thoughts on this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think the OE brakes and pads work really well and would just stick with them. But, that is just me.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I think the OE brakes and pads work really well and would just stick with them. But, that is just me.

Very rarely will you find a brake pad that is as good as OEM (not just jeeps, in general.) Yes some pads (like ceramic) are superior when you are on a track but generally, they are worse during normal driving, as they require heat, and a lot of heat to do their jobs properly. They also have a nasty side effect of damaging the piss out of wheel finishes (hot sparks from the ceramic pads land on the wheel and burn through the finish.)

I agree here, stick with the OEM pads. No matter the pads/rotors, stopping a 5000lb brick on large tires isn't easy and you will never have sports car stopping distances with a wrangler. You can upgrade your lines to stainless braided lines to improve pedal feel and minimize expansion, which will remove the spongy stepping on a marshmallow feeling. Also, gravity bleeding turns your brake pedal into a rock, which also aids in pedal feel coupled with braided lines.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
x3 on the OE pads. i just replaced mine not to long ago and i went with the crown OE pads. they were a decent amount cheaper.

Flyer

When I first went to 35s (from 32s) I was a bit surprised at the slower braking. After doing some research on EBC Yellows at the time, I ran across a thread about Black Magic brakes that Blaine sells. So I tried them. Never had to break-in pads before but did so and the difference was pretty significant. That was in 2012. Bought a new JKUR a few months ago and it actually took longer to stop than my JK with 35s. Not bad but it was enough to where I just bought the front Black Magic pads this time. The difference, again, is significant. I have heard of EBC's new Extra Duty pads and have talked to the Tech there. They sounds really good too but are still a few weeks out. I could not wait. Either one will be much better than stock but all this said, I am not sure you must have them with 33s. I would change it given what I have experienced. The bite is a lot harder and stopping distances shorter. When I turned my last JKR back to stock, I left the pads on. When I traded it in, the GM ended up driving it too. When he got back, he came to ask me what I had done to the brakes. He did not see bigger rotors so he was curious because it braked a lot better than the stock Wranglers. Just changing the front pads (if your rotors are still good) will cost you ~$125. If you need rotors, look for Centric rotors. If you do upgrade, post back with your impressions.

"Downside" to better braking- increased brake dust. It does not bother me but apparently, it does bother some people. Just making sure you know this.

steve_r2

For a change I decided to run EBC "yellow" at the front and EBC "green"at the rear (this was on EBC's recommendation).
Now this is very subjective, however I feel my braking performance is far better than on the stock pads (have OEM rotors). Brake feel is better and it seems that I can haul up quicker (all subjective as not run side to side with anyone on stock so seat of pants impressions :))
The downside is increased brake dust but I'm willing to have that as long as I stop.
Nothing against OEM pads but have to say I am happy with how EBC ones work.

Top Bottom