coil question

2DGJK

i was going to buy a 1.5 xfactor from RK for my 2 door but now i'm not even sure about that anymore... i plan on keeping my lift for a long time and 2.5 inch lift is all i need for now. i'm kinda OCD about geometry since it is my DD with some mild trail so adjustable control arm is something i like. i was told that multi-rate coil would fail before linear because most of the time only a part of the coil is used. so it would be greatly appreciated to get some input from you guys and feel free to steer me in another direction.

question:
what are the pros and cons of linear, progressive and triple rate coil (that RK offers)? what is best for long term? or is it best to swap coils after a while to get a better ride quality(on and off-road)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i was going to buy a 1.5 xfactor from RK for my 2 door but now i'm not even sure about that anymore... i plan on keeping my lift for a long time and 2.5 inch lift is all i need for now. i'm kinda OCD about geometry since it is my DD with some mild trail so adjustable control arm is something i like. i was told that multi-rate coil would fail before linear because most of the time only a part of the coil is used. so it would be greatly appreciated to get some input from you guys and feel free to steer me in another direction.

question:
what are the pros and cons of linear, progressive and triple rate coil (that RK offers)? what is best for long term? or is it best to swap coils after a while to get a better ride quality(on and off-road)?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not fan of dual rate or progressive rate coils but really, the last thing you need to be worrying about is them failing. I don't know who you've been talking to but if anything, the ride they tend to offer will just flat out suck. Why? Because more times than not, people will load up their Jeeps with heavy parts and gear and the soft end of the coil will get all used up. Sure, you won't sag beyond that but, you will be left riding on the firm side of the coil and that won't feel too good.

Having said that, If you're only looking to run a 2.5" lift, I would highly recommend that you give a basic budget boost or coil spacer a look instead. They will give you the lift you are wanting and without going taller as many coil lifts will and you will still have a factory like ride. You can still get front lower adjustable control arms to dial in your caster but, I would recommend that you NOT get the RK's as the shortest length they can be set at is something like an inch longer than stock and that is WAY TOO MUCH for such a small lift.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
rk springs run taller than advertised. there have been some people running 37" tires with flat fenders with the 1.5 springs on 2 doors. the 2.5 give around 3" up front a 2" on the back on a jku. rk also says it depends on your engine, supposedly the 3.6 are lighter than the old 3.8 and might see a difference.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not fan of dual rate or progressive rate coils but really, the last thing you need to be worrying about is them failing. I don't know who you've been talking to but if anything, the ride they tend to offer will just flat out suck. Why? Because more times than not, people will load up their Jeeps with heavy parts and gear and the soft end of the coil will get all used up. Sure, you won't sag beyond that but, you will be left riding on the firm side of the coil and that won't feel too good.

Having said that, If you're only looking to run a 2.5" lift, I would highly recommend that you give a basic budget boost or coil spacer a look instead. They will give you the lift you are wanting and without going taller as many coil lifts will and you will still have a factory like ride. You can still get front lower adjustable control arms to dial in your caster but, I would recommend that you NOT get the RK's as the shortest length they can be set at is something like an inch longer than stock and that is WAY TOO MUCH for such a small lift.

i can't believe the sell a x factor for just a 1.5 lift:thinking:

2DGJK

Thanks for such a quick response! so would you recommend the 2.5 teraflex coils kit with bilstein? and i'm not familiar at all with all the manufacturer so which front LCA that is adjustable would you recommend for my application?

pvanweelden

Evo 1095 leveling kit ($239)- 2" plush coils for the front and 3/4" spacer in the rear. Front will give you around 1.5" depending on how weighted you are.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for such a quick response! so would you recommend the 2.5 teraflex coils kit with bilstein? and i'm not familiar at all with all the manufacturer so which front LCA that is adjustable would you recommend for my application?

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the 2.5" coil spacer budget boost kits available. They all pretty much do the same thing and it's hard to screw it up so yeah, the TeraFlex kit will work fine. If you have a 2012 or newer, you will need to be careful about the aftermarket shocks you get as if they are too long, they will allow for too much droop and you will damage your front drive shaft slip boot. Same is true of an 07-11 with an automatic. If you have a 2012-up JK, you can get by with an exhaust spacer like the kind that Rancho makes. It's affordable and easy to install too. If you go taller, you will NEED to get a new front drive shaft sooner than later as it will help to address other issues you will have at that height.

Having said all that, If you do choose to get a coil lift, I might recommend that you give the Rancho 2" kit a look as it'll give you what you are looking for and at a price that is very reasonable. Plus, they have a great rebate going on that you can take advantage of too:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15368-The-Rancho-Spring-rebate-is-here!-Save-!

As far as control arms go, I would look at a set of EVO, Currie, Full-Traction, JKS or Clayton. Of the arms I have tested, these have worked well for me.

2DGJK

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the 2.5" coil spacer budget boost kits available. They all pretty much do the same thing and it's hard to screw it up so yeah, the TeraFlex kit will work fine. If you have a 2012 or newer, you will need to be careful about the aftermarket shocks you get as if they are too long, they will allow for too much droop and you will damage your front drive shaft slip boot. Same is true of an 07-11 with an automatic. If you have a 2012-up JK, you can get by with an exhaust spacer like the kind that Rancho makes. It's affordable and easy to install too. If you go taller, you will NEED to get a new front drive shaft sooner than later as it will help to address other issues you will have at that height.

Having said all that, If you do choose to get a coil lift, I might recommend that you give the Rancho 2" kit a look as it'll give you what you are looking for and at a price that is very reasonable. Plus, they have a great rebate going on that you can take advantage of too:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15368-The-Rancho-Spring-rebate-is-here!-Save-!

As far as control arms go, I would look at a set of EVO, Currie, Full-Traction, JKS or Clayton. Of the arms I have tested, these have worked well for me.

Sweet man! i will definitely take a look at these and reading the post you just submitted i think you avoided me a lots of PITA lol
glad i came here to ask!:thumb:

2DGJK

Evo 1095 leveling kit ($239)- 2" plush coils for the front and 3/4" spacer in the rear. Front will give you around 1.5" depending on how weighted you are.

maybe i'm not looking at the right place but i can't find it on ORE website or northridge.ca maybe you could help me out...

pvanweelden

Call Evo- they have it but it is not on their website.

2" plush coils for the Front, 3/4" spacer for the rear.

I have the kit currently on my jkur.

pvanweelden

With trimmed fenders yes
I have 315's that run about like a 36" tire.
1398279155906.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom