A JK Lost in Seoul Korea. Where should my CASH GO?

lostinkorea

Hey All,

First off i have 5 grand standing by.
I am a new JK owner here in Seoul South Korea. Im a DOD civilian here working with our troops and a Veteran myself. A few weeks ago I decided to sell my TJ and grab a 2.8 CRD diesel JK off the Korean Economy, basically for my room for the family and couldn't pass on the color, RED haha. Anyway, I was hoping to get some ideas and guidance on the build, I haven't exactly decided where to put all the money yet and wanted to get some more seasoned opinions, not alot of jeep owners here in Korea and I definitely don't get to touch taste and feel parts and products, takes a month sometimes more to get parts and its an extreme hassle to get them so I want to do this right the first time. So here we go.

Tires. Decided to go with 37s, everyone with 35s i talked to regretted not going 37 haha. I have nitto mud grapplers on order but wanted some opinions on what everyone thought was a great on and offroad tire, remember im in seoul, the jeeps life will spend most of its life on the city street, i just like the look of this tire but am always open to opinions.

The below is a shopping list i have configured with Rebel Offroad
SUSPENSION
Fox steering stabalizer
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=21&ref=filter
Fox Resovoir shocks 2.0http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=2&ref=filter
Metal Cloak game changer 3.5 lift kit, replacing the shocks with the fox above.
http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangler-3-5-OME-Duroflex-Suspension-System-p/7118.htm

ARMOR and EXTERIOR
POISON SPYDER Hood louver
POISON SPYDER Rocker Knockers
POISON SPYDER Body Armor
Metal cloak modular bumper 1402 with mid stinger and light bar
http://www.metalcloak.com/Frame-Built-Jeep-Bumper-1402-JK-Wrangler-p/fb-jk-1402.htm
HMF PLUS PLUS MOUNTS 50 inch
Aries REAR bumper aluminum
Teraflex rear tire carrier and mount adapter

I think thats about it. Just wanted to see what you guys thought and if you have any info or ideas that might help me out, experieces and what not. Like I said, i only wanna do this once.

Thanks!
Brandon in KOREA

turbineguy

Sounds great. How's the weather there. I'm literally in the Korean Airlines sky club at LAX waiting to fly to Incheon right now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you definitely have been shopping at Rebel :crazyeyes:

Before you pull the trigger, may I recommend that you get a 2nd opinion from another shop with a broader reach of manufacturers? Northridge4x4 is a supporter of this forum and they try really hard to work with members here. They will definitely have a bigger selection than the shop you've been working with and might even be able to save you some money.

Having said all that, is it safe to assume you do not have lift or fender laws in South Korea? Being that you won't be able to do much wheeling, is there any specific reason for choosing the lift and armor that you have listed or, are they the only thing that was offered to you?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you're really wanting to push 37's, I would skip the steering stabilizer as it'll just be a waste of money and if anything, cause your Jeep to pull to one side. If anything, turning 37's in town will start to become a workout especially if you have to get in and out of tight spaces. If anything, I would recommend that you consider investing in a ram assist instead.

Fox Resovoir shocks 2.0http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=2&ref=filter

If you're just going for the "look", these will have them but really, you won't see the benefits of reservoirs where you are at. You would still get the same performance and for a lot less without them.

Metal Cloak game changer 3.5 lift kit, replacing the shocks with the fox above.
http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangler-3-5-OME-Duroflex-Suspension-System-p/7118.htm

Not really a fan but to each their own.

POISON SPYDER Hood louver
POISON SPYDER Rocker Knockers
POISON SPYDER Body Armor
Metal cloak modular bumper 1402 with mid stinger and light bar
http://www.metalcloak.com/Frame-Built-Jeep-Bumper-1402-JK-Wrangler-p/fb-jk-1402.htm
HMF PLUS PLUS MOUNTS 50 inch
Aries REAR bumper aluminum
Teraflex rear tire carrier and mount adapter

The TeraFlex tire carrier is not only a waste of money as it really isn't needed even with a 37" spare, I have personally seen it break. I would save your money here and just carry your spare on the stock tire carrier with some isolator extensions to prevent jiggling.

You really need to budget in a new front drive shaft and a rear one too if you have a 2-door.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i love my Mud Grapplers and im almost positive Wayalife really enjoyed his as well. they work really well in all conditions. you will enjoy them.

Also as wayalife mentioned take a look at northridge. they have a wide range of lift kits and they have a 10% discount code that is still currently good till april 30th.

lostinkorea

weather

Sounds great. How's the weather there. I'm literally in the Korean Airlines sky club at LAX waiting to fly to Incheon right now.

wow, its awesome right now, about to go pretty hot though, but mainly in the 70s during the days now, but spring and fall are the most beautiful and best times of the year here, lucky to be coming in. Where will you be stationed? Bring your jeep?

lik

munstie

In case your not aware the Mud Grapples are quite noisy, basically you sound like a bomber plane running down the road. They are amazing tires though..

Sent from the Zone of Influence

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
In case your not aware the Mud Grapples are quite noisy, basically you sound like a bomber plane running down the road. They are amazing tires though..

Sent from the Zone of Influence

very very true and i cant get enough of it. i will prob be deaf one day becaus eof them but i dont care lol

lostinkorea

Well, you definitely have been shopping at Rebel :crazyeyes:

Before you pull the trigger, may I recommend that you get a 2nd opinion from another shop with a broader reach of manufacturers? Northridge4x4 is a supporter of this forum and they try really hard to work with members here. They will definitely have a bigger selection than the shop you've been working with and might even be able to save you some money.

Having said all that, is it safe to assume you do not have lift or fender laws in South Korea? Being that you won't be able to do much wheeling, is there any specific reason for choosing the lift and armor that you have listed or, are they the only thing that was offered to you?

We have a no modification law in south korea haha. Its interesting because the korean jeep guys modify their jeeps as well and keep all the stock parts, every 2 years they have an inspection here and have to put ALL the stock parts back on to pass the inspection, its crazy. Fortunately im a Military SOFA member here and we are not subject to the same inspection, I have a highly modified TJ and My JK now is modified as well with 33s that def stick past the stock flares. That being said when i get pulled over here, they look at my face see im foreigner and simply wave me by haha. No issues with that for me here, our vehicles arent subject to the same rules, its kind of a grey area.

As far going with Rebel, a few other jeepers here, military guys, pointed me their way and they have been really good to them, so thats the reason i went that direction and they are in california, i have to have a shop that is willing to deal, repack items if need be and pallet items for a military boat like for bumpers and things. Shipping is crucial so they have to be located in cali, i cant be spending shipping twice on bumpers and items to be shipped twice.

The parts are choose are mainly personal preference, FOX shocks are just sexy haha, and the other brands i just love the way they are, I can call them up and they actually engage my questions about my jeep, they have proven to be very procative and knowledgeable on my build and jeeps alone. Metal cloaks work is awesome and i need a modular bumper here, i have no where to weld here and i dont want to rely on the shops that are about an hour and half away to do that stuff for me, so the modular is a must. I have a hybrid modular from rough country on my TJ but to call RC and get some technical advice and someone that knows about jeeps our products is not common, they have proven to not be helpful at all on things of that nature. Ive shopped around alot, i choose most of the items listed my self, the MC lift was chosen because a couple friends here have the same one and have offered to help me install it for some beers hehe. Thank you very much for the help, ill head over to northridge right now.

lik

lostinkorea

If you're really wanting to push 37's, I would skip the steering stabilizer as it'll just be a waste of money and if anything, cause your Jeep to pull to one side. If anything, turning 37's in town will start to become a workout especially if you have to get in and out of tight spaces. If anything, I would recommend that you consider investing in a ram assist instead.

If you're just going for the "look", these will have them but really, you won't see the benefits of reservoirs where you are at. You would still get the same performance and for a lot less without them.

Not really a fan but to each their own.

The TeraFlex tire carrier is not only a waste of money as it really isn't needed even with a 37" spare, I have personally seen it break. I would save your money here and just carry your spare on the stock tire carrier with some isolator extensions to prevent jiggling.

You really need to budget in a new front drive shaft and a rear one too if you have a 2-door.

WOW, dreams shot down everywhere lol, ok, back to scratch haha. Im def lost now but that why I asked. Yes i was going to go with 35s due to most my driving will be done in city in tight traffic, this is not really a daily driver though, i have a bike for that but i still want to use it on beautiful days in the city and honestly prob wont use it much in the winter due to all the damn salt on the roads. Can you enlighten or recommend me a RAM assist? Thank you for your honesty and help.

LIK

turbineguy

wow, its awesome right now, about to go pretty hot though, but mainly in the 70s during the days now, but spring and fall are the most beautiful and best times of the year here, lucky to be coming in. Where will you be stationed? Bring your jeep?

lik

Haha. I'm not stationed. Im going over there to inspect a power plant for a week, so bringing jeep is not an option.

As an aside, I just received the full MC Duroflex lift (but with Rancho 9000s instead of OME or MC shocks). Haven't put it on yet, but a few guys here are running MC stuff. Drove in a few of their jeeps, and drove really well on and off road. Converted me (of course I might just swap it out in a few years for a coilover system).

Man, I was hoping it was going to be cooler... I just go back from Brazil yesterday.

lostinkorea

i love my Mud Grapplers and im almost positive Wayalife really enjoyed his as well. they work really well in all conditions. you will enjoy them.

Also as wayalife mentioned take a look at northridge. they have a wide range of lift kits and they have a 10% discount code that is still currently good till april 30th.

This has been the hardest decision basically because of my location, i dont mind the road noise, actually getting attention here in seoul traffic is crucial because people will stop and stare instead of tbone your jeep lol. The louder the better, i just want to make sure it doesnt cause my wife to go insane. I had the 37 trail grappler on order but they are out of stock and no due date. would you recommend another tire if you were to go buy another set right now?

thank you,

lik

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This has been the hardest decision basically because of my location, i dont mind the road noise, actually getting attention here in seoul traffic is crucial because people will stop and stare instead of tbone your jeep lol. The louder the better, i just want to make sure it doesnt cause my wife to go insane. I had the 37 trail grappler on order but they are out of stock and no due date. would you recommend another tire if you were to go buy another set right now?

thank you,

lik

i would buy the mud grapplers again lol trust me they are loud but not deafening by anymeans. my GF loves them. hell even my mom loves the sound of them and how aggressive they are. :yup:

but if i HAD to choose another tire i would go with the trail grapplers or toyo open countries.

lostinkorea

Haha. I'm not stationed. Im going over there to inspect a power plant for a week, so bringing jeep is not an option.

As an aside, I just received the full MC Duroflex lift (but with Rancho 9000s instead of OME or MC shocks). Haven't put it on yet, but a few guys here are running MC stuff. Drove in a few of their jeeps, and drove really well on and off road. Converted me (of course I might just swap it out in a few years for a coilover system).

Man, I was hoping it was going to be cooler... I just go back from Brazil yesterday.

Dont worry, im sure its cooler than brazil, 50 and 60s and night and nice and cool youll like it bud. Good to hear about the MC lift. Looking forwared to it.

LIK

turbineguy

Just one comment. That's an expensive build for a jeep that can't be imported back to the US. Id go bolt on strictly, and keep the stock parts so you can take stuff with you if you leave.

I also second the suggestion to go through Northridge 4x4.

lostinkorea

i would buy the mud grapplers again lol trust me they are loud but not deafening by anymeans. my GF loves them. hell even my mom loves the sound of them and how aggressive they are. :yup:

but if i HAD to choose another tire i would go with the trail grapplers or toyo open countries.

ya that was my next choice the open countries but they just arent as aggressive looking as i wanted. They want 410 dollars shipped a piece for the 37 Toyos and 430 for the grapplers. I decided to go wit hthe grapplers. how many miles do you have on yours? mostly street?

lik

Panda

I'm loving my mud graps too! Music to my ears!

lostinkorea

Just one comment. That's an expensive build for a jeep that can't be imported back to the US. Id go bolt on strictly, and keep the stock parts so you can take stuff with you if you leave.

I also second the suggestion to go through Northridge 4x4.

Something is telling me Northridge is a supporting sponsor here lol. Joking, its kewl heard all positive about them anyway, i just need someone there to take care of me, i want them to answer my emails in a timely manner and be able to hook me up on the pricing, remember shipping is a bitch here both pricing and hassle.

Im also married to a korean and have found a couple ways to bring the rig back to the states no problem so i will always have ties here, not worried about that, but yes bolt on is the ticket along with keeping all stock parts.

LIK

Top Bottom