Magnuson supercharger for 3.8L engine

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have any experience with the Magnuson Supercharger Kit (For 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.8L)? It's expensive (~$6k), but it's a roots style SC and the kit looks complete out of the box with an intercooler.

How is it performing for you?

Are you seeing the HP and torque increases as advertised (33% increase in torque and 41% HP increase)?

Is it throwing any engine/error codes?

Thanks guys!

-Matt

MICP3309

A friend of mine has it on his, with 37s. He said it brought him to basically the power of a 3.6. It still dogs the hills at full boost, so he's got to regear.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A friend of mine has it on his, with 37s. He said it brought him to basically the power of a 3.6. It still dogs the hills at full boost, so he's got to regear.

He would have been better off trading in his Jeep for a newer one.

MICP3309

He would have been better off trading in his Jeep for a newer one.

Lucky for him he owns the local shop, so he paid A LOT less than retail for it, and free labor! But he was disappointed in it for on road.. Has great low end torque though!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lucky for him he owns the local shop, so he paid A LOT less than retail for it, and free labor! But he was disappointed in it for on road.. Has great low end torque though!

As the saying goes, there is no replacement for good old displacement. :thumb:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I'm trying look at the options to get the power I think I'll need once I complete my current build. I have a '07 JKUR manual with ~60k miles on it, but the power is a bit lower than I would prefer before I started building her up.

This may seem odd, but I'd love to swap a TESLA engine in if that was possible and then I could be out of the gas buying business. I'm sure that would be a nightmare trying to work out and engine to tranny adapter, electrical wiring/controls and cabling to the batteries, solar panels mounted flat on the hardtop, etc. We all have dreams...

-Matt

46chevytruck

Yes I have one. Installed just prior to a 3,000 mile round trip from WI to Moab in my 2007 JKU (that gas a 2011 3.8 engine). I also have 5.13 gears. I am pleased with the results. It's no rocket ship or drag car but that's not what I was looking for. I drive my jeep daily 60 miles and occasionally off road. I have not done dyno tests but I did run comparison 0-60 times with the Diablo tuner.

The first photo is my original time with 3.8L, 5.13 gears, 35" tires, and a cold air intake. Stock tune. Stock/cracked exhaust manifolds 111,000 miles.

The second time listed is after I installed a brand new (59 mile) 3.8 that I bought from a friend that removed it from his 2011 JK for an LS3. I also added Gibson headers. 5.13 gears still in place
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399000092.867115.jpg

Clearly an improvement of 0-60 times

The last time shown below is immediately after the Magnuson SC install and Gibson headers (350 miles) and of course the Gibson headers still in place. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399000277.547981.jpg

I now have over 5,000 miles on the new engine and SC and suspect the 7 second time would be better if I repeat the time test again simply because the engine is slightly more broken in.

As I said, it is no rocket ship but it drives like a totally different vehicle. Not once did I wish I had more power on the trip to Moab last month - not even when crossing the mountains in CO.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399000515.631516.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1399000530.451827.jpg

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Thank you for the factual feedback. You've got me tending back to the SC now.

How had you experience been with the engine light? Just wondering if the SC is making it throw codes.

46chevytruck

I had some trouble codes early on but the guys at Magnuson have been very helpful with troubleshooting. Essentially, it was loose connection on the wires that lead to the throttle body. Other than that, I have no trouble lights. I'm am by no means a mechanic and I did the entire install by myself. Their manual they provide is the best I have ever seen.

Best advise I have is to not expect that you will have a drag car or rocket ship in the end. The numbers above are real and I would think it would be repeatable by others with a similar install.

Top Bottom